2023-2024 Coaching/Management/Ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
no idea why murray was so in love with that guy

I dunno about love, but Murray was trying something different. He thought Bouchard was part of the younger group of coaches instead of continuing to recycle old head coaches, which we have done with Dineen and Eakins. I didn't like it b/c I liked what Dineen's done for the Ducks's AHL system while in San Diego and Portland.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I do see a bit of Jon Cooper in him, but right now he's even more upbeat haha. I guess he may get a little rougher around the edges as the years go by, but at his core he appears to trend towards what's possible rather than what can't be done.

Also noticed a bit of his technical side in that video. i don't think it's a stretch to say that he is miles ahead of Eakins tactically.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I do see a bit of Jon Cooper in him, but right now he's even more upbeat haha. I guess he may get a little rougher around the edges as the years go by, but at his core he appears to trend towards what's possible rather than what can't be done.

Also noticed a bit of his technical side in that video. i don't think it's a stretch to say that he is miles ahead of Eakins tactically.
At the end of ww2 hitler was tactically ahead of eakins

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC

New interview with Cronin.

Oh I like this guy. Great interview. Going to be a different team, that's for sure. Totally different way of keeping guys accountable and with connecting and relating to the players.

I appreciate his respect for Eakins and the previous regime. Also appreciate his views on fancy stats.

The first 2 things that pop in my head with Cronin

1) Honest
2) Tough Love

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Oh I like this guy. Great interview. Going to be a different team, that's for sure. Totally different way of keeping guys accountable and with connecting and relating to the players.

I appreciate his respect for Eakins and the previous regime. Also appreciate his views on fancy stats.

The first 2 things that pop in my head with Cronin

1) Honest
2) Tough Love

I legit cannot believe how much I like everything that comes out of his mouth with regards to how he's going to handle the team and the young guys.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Everyone is.

At the end of ww2 hitler was tactically ahead of eakins
I'll preface this by saying in no way do I think the same will apply to McIlvane, but Eakins when he was coming up with the Marlies was thought to be pretty strong technically. maybe not a master strategist type, but definitely adequate in that area. I almost compare his NHL coaching career to a draft pick who just wasn't scouted properly and flopped. He was a product of the Toronto hype machine.

Reactions: pbgoalie

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site

Wow, Cronin really can tell a story and really fits that Bawston stereotype and he has a crazy memory… remembers dates and years like as if it happened a few days ago. Jeeze, he’s going to win every argument with that skill and probably didn’t help his marriage when he won his arguments.

This was a rare insight to a coach. I’m surprised he’s such an analytics guy, but I really hope he can help build that culture where we have players policing themselves and making sure everyone is practicing and preparing at their full abilities. I like how he has a past in finding gems while at a small school, although he admitted that his staff did most of the work.

This bring at least some hope that he will be doing everything he can to truly develop players and bring self awareness. Either that.. or they will be out the door if they don’t want to commit, which is fine by me. Dude is very intense… I wouldn’t want to be a young player and get on his bad side… he looks like he would hold a grudge, especially with that sharp memory.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
4 years really isn't "interim," though. It's a long time. That would tie Killorn with Nieds, for example.
Yeah and I think it would be good for the team. Have a vet that’s been there done that be the captain, and in 4 years when one of the kids has proven they are captain material promote them. Unless of course they plan on giving it to Cam or Terry, who have both done their time so to speak.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018

Nilan is certainly a character.

Really great overall, but something weird stuck out to me. I'm probably going to botch explaining it because I'm still not entirely sure what he was getting at, but he mentioned how players "rebrand" themselves when a new coach comes in.

I'm not sure what he expects to do with the players that didn't compete for Eakins or who he could be referring to in that regard.

Starts around the 37 minute mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad