Prospect Info: 2023-2024 In The System: Charlotte Checkers, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Funny story even tough the guy is not in our system anymore:

Cliff Pu just signed a contract in the Austrian ICE Hockey League with the spusu Vienna Capitals. But right after, a Chinese team paid a 6-digit transfer fee so he will play for them and will help him increase his chances to reach his goal to play in the Olympic games in Beijing.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
The Checkers are an independently successful AHL franchise that is accustomed to success and has a great fan base. I’m sure a lot of the fans would normally root for the Canes so I’m hoping we are successful with them and earn some new fans. If there are any Checkers fans lurking, please feel free to contribute. We would definitely appreciate it.

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
He seems like a really good kid.
Selflessly, I just wish he was in the OHL.
This team has always had luck in the Canadian Hockey League.

Hopefully he has a solid, and healthy season in the "W". watching him play for the first time at the recent Panther Camps, his style of play reminds me some of a younger Trocheck.

I love to follow the progress of kids like this...he certainly has the tools to develop into a very good NHL'er. I don't believe he is very far away.

Reactions: harv33173

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Hey everyone. You might remember me from last season when I was providing semi-regular Justin Sourdif updates since I'm a Giants fan/ticket-holder and a big Sourdif fan.

Well, it was the team's home opener tonight so for the first time in like a year and a half I got to see him play live.

He finished the game with a goal and 2 assists on 4 shots and was 9/22 on faceoffs in a 6-4 Giants win over the Prince George Cougars.

WHL highlight of the night (his 2nd assist, which was originally credited as a goal to him before being changed upon review)

There aren't any other highlights on the Giants' twitter feed but honestly he was the best player on the ice for Vancouver all game. He had the 3 points but he also probably set up 4-6 other really solid scoring chances that couldn't find the back of the net. The biggest thing I noticed was that he was a) making a much more concerted effort to be a playmaker and b) he was actually pretty good at it, as several of those aforementioned scoring chances were shifty moves and slick passes to linemates who just couldn't finish the play.

He was also named 1st star of the game

Full highlight package:
Highlights: Cougars (4) at Giants (6) - Vancouver Giants

Unfortunately the archaic WHL website media player doesn't support external embedding for the highlights and while they upload the singular highlight of the night play to their youtube channel they don't upload game highlight packs.

I may pop in from time to time after home games with thoughts. I don't have the streaming package this season so I won't be watching road games.

Last edited:

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Hey everyone. You might remember me from last season when I was providing semi-regular Justin Sourdif updates since I'm a Giants fan/ticket-holder and a big Sourdif fan.

Well, it was the team's home opener tonight so for the first time in like a year and a half I got to see him play live.

He finished the game with a goal and 2 assists on 4 shots and was 9/22 on faceoffs in a 6-4 Giants win over the Prince George Cougars.

WHL highlight of the night (his 2nd assist, which was originally credited as a goal to him before being changed upon review)

There aren't any other highlights on the Giants' twitter feed but honestly he was the best player on the ice for Vancouver all game. He had the 3 points but he also probably set up 4-6 other really solid scoring chances that couldn't find the back of the net. The biggest thing I noticed was that he was a) making a much more concerted effort to be a playmaker and b) he was actually pretty good at it, as several of those aforementioned scoring chances were shifty moves and slick passes to linemates who just couldn't finish the play.

Full highlight package:

I may pop in from time to time after home games with thoughts. I don't have the streaming package this season so I won't be watching road games.

Thanks for the update and would love to hear more from you :)
Have high hopes for him going forward.

Reactions: Mase

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Thanks for the update and would love to hear more from you :)
Have high hopes for him going forward.

The good thing for him is that he should have tons of chances for offence. The Giants have 11 goals in 2 games so far this season and that includes the fact that they're missing 2 presumptive top 6 wingers who would get PP time right now including Bruins 1st rounder Fabian Lysell (who played in the season opener last week but not tonight for some reason).

I noticed he wasn't as physical tonight as he had been last year even though this game got suuuuper chippy in the later periods after an open ice hit knocked one of the Giants out of the game. The only thing I can think of is that he's toning that down a little bit because he's the offensive focal point and he has to be able to stay on the ice? Or maybe it was just an aberration.

The next home game is next week Saturday but I'll probably miss that one so I can be a masochist and watch the Sharks season opener. But for the most part after that I should catch most home games, especially while they're mostly one-a-week on Fridays and Saturdays for the first couple months.

EDIT: Check the highlight pack for the 3rd period plays which includes a very nice Sourdif backcheck where he catches up to a free-and-clear PG player and strips him of the puck from behind to prevent a very high danger scoring opportunity.

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Full highlight package:

Unfortunately the archaic WHL website media player doesn't support external embedding for the highlights and while they upload the singular highlight of the night play to their youtube channel they don't upload game highlight packs.

Nice! Thanks again for the updates.
Stop by anytime, always good to see unbias feedback from neutral viewers.

He gives me a Nick Suzuki/Seth Jarvis vibe.

Reactions: Mase

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

FBXQBnxXIAAvvXf.png
FBXQBnpXMAE2HQm.png

Forwards are loaded with FLA guys.
Ludvig to be added once healthy.

Reactions: Ghoste

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad