Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'm going to exclude Comtois as I feel pretty certain we move on in some capacity. I'm not putting much thought into the lines (especially the AHL ones) but in this case Silf slides to either side of McT depending on which top 3 pick we land.

Adam Henrique (5,825,000) - Trevor Zegras (8,125,000) - Troy Terry (7,500,000)
Jakob Silfverberg (5,250,000) - Mason McTavish (894,167) - Connor Bedard (950,000)
Frank Vatrano (3,650,000) - Isac Lundestrom (1,800,000) - Ryan Strome (5,000,000)
Max Jones (1,295,000) - Sam Carrick (850,000) - Brock McGinn (2,750,000)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Brett Leason (775,000)

Brayden Tracey - Glenn Gawdin - Jacob Perreault
Nikita Nesterenko - BO Groulx - Chase De Leo
Sasha Pastujov - Josiah Slavin - Pavol Regenda
Blake McLaughlin - Nathan Gaucher - Ben King
Sean Tschigerl - Josh Lopina - Jaxsen Wiebe

Right away, the 4C spot would be something in need of addressing (unless Groulx makes the spot his own). It would be nice to have a strong defensive presence and faceoff guy in that spot. Obviously open to the possibility of someone like Nesterenko forcing his way into the NHL mix as well.
Also have Caulfield at F, would say other than the 2023 1st, Tracey/Groulx/Perreault/Regenda/Nesterenko/Caulfield will be the guys we see competing with a legitimate chance to earn a spot in the F group in camp and as a call up over the course of the season

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Also have Caulfield at F, would say other than the 2023 1st, Tracey/Groulx/Perreault/Regenda/Nesterenko/Caulfield will be the guys we see competing with a legitimate chance to earn a spot in the F group in camp and as a call up over the course of the season

Knew I was missing one, thanks! That's a lot of young forwards for the AHL level, may be a bit overloaded there in regards to having enough room to stay within the league's veteran requirements.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1681497733549.png

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Strome-Z-Terry
Rico-McTavish-Vatrano
Jones-Lundy-Silf
Carrick-Groulx-McGinn
Leason

We really are hoping that McTavish and Jones improve over the summer b/c that seems to be it. We don't have any spots open if based upon being already under contract. Terry is an RFA with arb while Z and Groulx are RFA's, which all three will probably be signed. This next season could be the last for Rico and Silf, but on the plus side, we have McGinn for two seasons.

I don't like Strome and Vatrano in our top-6 and I don't like that we're going to be extremely young and inexperienced if we can't find a Rico talent equal replacement.

Leason is taking a roster spot of either the 2023 first round pick or Nesterenko.

Fowler- Drysdale
LaCombe - xxx
Benoit- xxx
White
Vaaks

I don't know if Vaaks deserves to be on the NHL club. With his injury and concussion concerns, I think he can easily be waived and no one will pick him up. Will Verbeek allow that to happen to one of his handpick players?

Benoit is an RFA with arb. He's physical and should be retained as he can play up and down the pairings. We need veteran D plugs because we can't go into the season with Fowler as our own veteran D.

As much as I want a Hinds or Helleson up with the NHL club, I think it would be disastrous b/c we're still breaking in both Drysdale and LaCombe. Maybe halfway through the season either Hinds or Helleson can be brought up.

RD Andersson's injuries for the past two seasons with San Diego really hurt the Ducks' blueline progression. His defense is ahead of Helleson's game and should have made his way to the NHL club this past season. But, damn, he's made out of glass.

======

I'm not feeling great about next year's team if we don't get better experienced talents for our blueline.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Strome-Z-Terry
Rico-McTavish-Vatrano
Jones-Lundy-Silf
Carrick-Groulx-McGinn
Leason

We really are hoping that McTavish and Jones improve over the summer b/c that seems to be it. We don't have any spots open if based upon being already under contract. Terry is an RFA with arb while Z and Groulx are RFA's, which all three will probably be signed. This next season could be the last for Rico and Silf, but on the plus side, we have McGinn for two seasons.

I don't like Strome and Vatrano in our top-6 and I don't like that we're going to be extremely young and inexperienced if we can't find a Rico talent equal replacement.

Leason is taking a roster spot of either the 2023 first round pick or Nesterenko.

Fowler- Drysdale
LaCombe - xxx
Benoit- xxx
White
Vaaks

I don't know if Vaaks deserves to be on the NHL club. With his injury and concussion concerns, I think he can easily be waived and no one will pick him up. Will Verbeek allow that to happen to one of his handpick players?

Benoit is an RFA with arb. He's physical and should be retained as he can play up and down the pairings. We need veteran D plugs because we can't go into the season with Fowler as our own veteran D.

As much as I want a Hinds or Helleson up with the NHL club, I think it would be disastrous b/c we're still breaking in both Drysdale and LaCombe. Maybe halfway through the season either Hinds or Helleson can be brought up.

RD Andersson's injuries for the past two seasons with San Diego really hurt the Ducks' blueline progression. His defense is ahead of Helleson's game and should have made his way to the NHL club this past season. But, damn, he's made out of glass.

======

I'm not feeling great about next year's team if we don't get better experienced talents for our blueline.
You dont think our top pick this year will be in the lineup?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
You dont think our top pick this year will be in the lineup?

I'm trying not to jinx it for you know who.

As for Fantilli, I'd rather he overripen at Michigan than the clusterf*** of an org in transition in coaching at both the AHL and NHL levels. Reading an article written by Wheeler, Adam really likes being around his brother and I think that might be a much bigger deciding issue - was this year the last year he'll be around his brother often? Then there's the Michigan program that's robust as well as being able to continue to strengthen the body throughout the whole season as an NCAA athlete.

As for Carlsson, similar reason to stay in the SHL instead of the Ducks' AHL or NHL grouping. Let the Ducks' org finally settle and then join them. Meanwhile, Carlsson will continue developing as a 200 ft player at a high level of competition against men. Leo broke out in the SHL playoffs. I want to continue to see that progression with Orebro (SHL) and we'll be the benefactors of his refined game.

Looking at our roster, not really seeing a significant group uptick in defense at the moment (especially if we're just looking for plugs), and having an all new coaching staff is a lot of layers of growing pains.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm trying not to jinx it for you know who.

As for Fantilli, I'd rather he overripen at Michigan than the clusterf*** of an org in transition in coaching at both the AHL and NHL levels. Reading an article written by Wheeler, Adam really likes being around his brother and I think that might be a much bigger deciding issue - was this year the last year he'll be around his brother often? Then there's the Michigan program that's robust as well as being able to continue to strengthen the body throughout the whole season as an NCAA athlete.

As for Carlsson, similar reason to stay in the SHL instead of the Ducks' AHL or NHL grouping. Let the Ducks' org finally settle and then join them. Meanwhile, Carlsson will continue developing as a 200 ft player at a high level of competition against men. Leo broke out in the SHL playoffs. I want to continue to see that progression with Orebro (SHL) and we'll be the benefactors of his refined game.

Looking at our roster, not really seeing a significant group uptick in defense at the moment (especially if we're just looking for plugs), and having an all new coaching staff is a lot of layers of growing pains.

Honestly. Even if they are NHL ready there really is no rush for them.

As per the defense, will have Drysdale back, and I see LaCombe making the team. That is two spots that pushes guys down or out. I would love to add a Solid #4 shutdown D. Would go a long way.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Honestly. Even if they are NHL ready there really is no rush for them.

As per the defense, will have Drysdale back, and I see LaCombe making the team. That is two spots that pushes guys down or out. I would love to add a Solid #4 shutdown D. Would go a long way.

Yeah I'm basically see it like this

Fowler - ________
________ - Drysdale
Lacombe - _________

In an ideal world, all three would get a steady defensive minded partner. Realistically, the third pairing may include whichever of our current depth D who earn the spot.

Dip into the FA market once to find a top 4 addition. Perhaps add another early in the off season through a cap dump trade, maybe a Kulikov type situation comes along a bit later.

Fowler - Mayfield/Severson/Jensen
Forbort - Drysdale
Benoit/Vaaks - Lacombe

It's a million times better than what we iced this year.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Long term it would appear one of Zegras/McTavish might have to slide over to wing.

A good problem to have.

Although I think Bedard/Fantili/Carlsson will play their rookie year on the wing

It’s exciting that we are going to get an elite player with franchise potential. It beats going out and spending 8 to 9 million on a UFA. Lol.
Yeah I'm basically see it like this

Fowler - ________
________ - Drysdale
Lacombe - _________

In an ideal world, all three would get a steady defensive minded partner. Realistically, the third pairing may include whichever of our current depth D who earn the spot.

Dip into the FA market once to find a top 4 addition. Perhaps add another early in the off season through a cap dump trade, maybe a Kulikov type situation comes along a bit later.

Fowler - Mayfield/Severson/Jensen
Forbort - Drysdale
Benoit/Vaaks - Lacombe

It's a million times better than what we iced this year.

Yup, that would be ideal for the team. Not going to get a bonafide #1 to play with Drysdale or Fowler. But if we can add a solid bottom pairing guy like a Kulikov type and then go after a legit #4 physical D.

All of a sudden we have 3 Top 4 D guys and one D who is developing who easily has 2nd paring potential in LaCombe.

That #3/#4 D may cost more, but only way we can get someone is to outbid. I’m fine with that. We don’t need the cap now. It gives time for our prospects to develop and not rush them. I’m thinking a 3 year deal might be able to get it done.

We attracted 3 UFA’s last season. One was a bad signing, one was excellent, and the other has been ok, with still plenty of time to justify the signing.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
One of things I’m excited about is how the new guy might impact Zegs and take some pressure off of him. Imo, Zegs would blow up as a “2C” playing behind a C who faced the harder match ups. Maybe won’t see it next year but over time.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
One of things I’m excited about is how the new guy might impact Zegs and take some pressure off of him. Imo, Zegs would blow up as a “2C” playing behind a C who faced the harder match ups. Maybe won’t see it next year but over time.
I agree with the sentiment but it's hard to imagine that the new guy will end up getting the toughest C matchups next season. If anyone, those might go to Mac, now that I think of it.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It’s exciting that we are going to get an elite player with franchise potential. It beats going out and spending 8 to 9 million on a UFA. Lol.

Yup, that would be ideal for the team. Not going to get a bonafide #1 to play with Drysdale or Fowler. But if we can add a solid bottom pairing guy like a Kulikov type and then go after a legit #4 physical D.

All of a sudden we have 3 Top 4 D guys and one D who is developing who easily has 2nd paring potential in LaCombe.

That #3/#4 D may cost more, but only way we can get someone is to outbid. I’m fine with that. We don’t need the cap now. It gives time for our prospects to develop and not rush them. I’m thinking a 3 year deal might be able to get it done.

We attracted 3 UFA’s last season. One was a bad signing, one was excellent, and the other has been ok, with still plenty of time to justify the signing.

Yeah and not likely even a bonafide top pairing guy, but even just a couple solid, defensive minded #4ish guys, would go such a long way - both 5on5 and on the PK.

I forgot to mention Harrington but I really wouldn't mind signing him back to play on that third pairing with Lacombe. It would surely be a minimal expenditure yet we know he's able to fill in top 4 minutes if injuries occur. Better off sliding him up the lineup if needed than some of these younger depth D (Benoit, Vaaks, White).

That pushes one of those latter three to more of a seventh role and the other two into a questionable state but I'm not so sure they've proven to deserve more than that or not. White has been ok but I'm still sort of expecting him to be be on waivers during camp when dozens of similar D will be in the same boat.

It would be nice to evaluate Benoit and Vaaks as part of a D group that isn't a complete mess, before having to make a decision on either of them. My gut tells me that Benoit will never really be more than a physical but limited depth guy. Which is fine but also easy to get lost in the shuffle with everything we have coming. Vaaks may just be one of these guys who will never stay healthy long enough to put it together. Even if he does, he's just never shown to be more than vanilla for me. Good enough to be there but doing nothing to stand out.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Yemeth

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I was saying in the other thread. Since Verbeek let eakins go. I think he does not resign shattenkirk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad