Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was saying in the other thread. Since Verbeek let eakins go. I think he does not resign shattenkirk.

This Is the template I want next season…

???? - Drysdale
Fowler - ????
LaCombe - ????
Benoit

Fill in the blanks Mr. Beeks.

**I would Start Helleson in SD, and then eventually bring him up**

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

???? - Drysdale
Fowler - ????
LaCombe - ????
Benoit

With a real defensive system and a partner that's not Shat, I want to see what Benoit can do on a 3rd pairing. I'd like to see Benoit-LaCombe as the 3rd pair. If he can't handle it, see if Helleson can or add a 3rd pair D and push Benoit to #7. Hopefully there are some cap casualty D that can be added for cheap compared to what they bring (not necessarily cap dumps that have no value). Maybe keeping Harrington as an insurance policy?

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
With a real defensive system and a partner that's not Shat, I want to see what Benoit can do on a 3rd pairing. I'd like to see Benoit-LaCombe as the 3rd pair. If he can't handle it, see if Helleson can or add a 3rd pair D and push Benoit to #7. Hopefully there are some cap casualty D that can be added for cheap compared to what they bring (not necessarily cap dumps that have no value). Maybe keeping Harrington as an insurance policy?

I really like Helleson but don‘t want to rush this kid, let him marinate in SD a little more, and think he has #4 potential. Really liked the few games he played, very good sign.

LaCombe who had a great program in college, don’t think he needs to go to SD.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I really like Helleson but don‘t want to rush this kid, let him marinate in SD a little more, and think he has #4 potential. Really liked the few games he played, very good sign.

LaCombe who had a great program in college, don’t think he needs to go to SD.
Oh I didn't mean bring up Helleson right away, it's if Benoit doesn't work out later in the season. Next season is about growth still and not playoffs, so the new coach can afford to give Benoit a longer leash. If it doesn't look good by mid-season or LaCombe plays his way into the top 4 (ideal scenario) and Helleson is looking good in SD, bring him up and let him play on the 3rd pair.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Oh I didn't mean bring up Helleson right away, it's if Benoit doesn't work out later in the season. Next season is about growth still and not playoffs, so the new coach can afford to give Benoit a longer leash. If it doesn't look good by mid-season or LaCombe plays his way into the top 4 (ideal scenario) and Helleson is looking good in SD, bring him up and let him play on the 3rd pair.

No I hear you. I like Benoit he tries out there but he is more a 6/7 D. We need that physical play, and if he’s on a limited bottom pairing he could be fine, but I’m looking at our potential D prospects and Benoit is likely going to be pushed aside.

Reactions: lwvs84

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

???? - Drysdale
Fowler - ????
LaCombe - ????
Benoit

I'd swap Fowler and Drysdale pairings. We're not finding g a LD better than Fowler.
Fowler-???
???-Drysdale
Benoit-Lacomb
Vaaks
White
CallsUps:
Helleson
Zell
Minty
There are a number of UFA d men who fit our needs. I'd sign 2 rather than trade. That being said given our D pool I'd only want to sign the LD to 1-2 years at most. I'd be okay taking a cap casualty for a year or 2 but they'd need to fit the need of a defensive guy who can PK. Ideally with some ohysicslity to his game

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
No I hear you. I like Benoit he tries out there but he is more a 6/7 D. We need that physical play, and if he’s on a limited bottom pairing he could be fine, but I’m looking at our potential D prospects and Benoit is likely going to be pushed aside.
Agreed, hopefully when he does get pushed down, he sticks around as a #7. I think he'd be a perfect #7 for us when we become contenders again. If they need to add physicality and defense for a game or series, he can step right in. But for next season, he'd be that stay at home D that can help LaCombe play his game and adapt while providing some muscle and physicality on our back end that we desperately need. I'm not expecting it, but Benoit has shown flashes so maybe he's a late bloomer and develops into a 4/5?

Reactions: Leonardo87

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Agreed, hopefully when he does get pushed down, he sticks around as a #7. I think he'd be a perfect #7 for us when we become contenders again. If they need to add physicality and defense for a game or series, he can step right in. But for next season, he'd be that stay at home D that can help LaCombe play his game and adapt while providing some muscle and physicality on our back end that we desperately need. I'm not expecting it, but Benoit has shown flashes so maybe he's a late bloomer and develops into a 4/5?
Benoit is a great #5 6 and a physical presence. His IQ needs to grow

Reactions: lwvs84

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Re- Bedard: if they get him I think Ducks should try and expedite being competitive as soon as possible. I really believe Playoofs are a possibility next season if Bedard is what we think he is. Competent coaching with structured defense would go a really long way.

If we don’t get Bedard, Fantilli would be the only other scenario where I see meaningful impact happening new season.

This would obviously require a lot of money to be spent, but I’d like to see a lineup like this next year:
C6E9F0EE-EAB7-4823-89DA-5AEA1D0FE9BD.png

Reactions: lwvs84 and Boo Boo

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Re- Bedard: if they get him I think Ducks should try and expedite being competitive as soon as possible. I really believe Playoofs are a possibility next season if Bedard is what we think he is. Competent coaching with structured defense would go a really long way.

If we don’t get Bedard, Fantilli would be the only other scenario where I see meaningful impact happening new season.

This would obviously require a lot of money to be spent, but I’d like to see a lineup like this next year: View attachment 689144
Jones and lundestrom are both capable of playing much higher in the lineup. They should competent third liners at minimum.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
What were the main differences you guess see that make you think Jackson gets a spot over helleson?

• LaCombe's Pros
    • Experience/Confidence. LaCombe's ATOI is 18:29 and Helly's ATOI is 13:39.
    • Skating. LaCombe's a faster, fluid skater compared to Helly.
    • Stickhandling. LaCombe showed this off walking the line with the puck on the offensive zone.
    Special teams play: LaCombe has logged 2:35 on the PP. Helly has logged 0:09 on the PK.
    • Shotblocking. LaCombe's two NHL games, he had 9 blocked shots. Helly has 3 blocked shots in three NHL games.

Helleson's spent a year in the AHL. For most of it, he didn't look good until he got paired with MDZ around February. Recently, he had a bad spell of games defensively in the AHL. I didn't think he warranted a call-up, but he was called up due to emergency injury concerns and it was the end of the season. He's looked okay in sheltered minutes.

LaCombe looked like he already belonged in the NHL despite not setting a skate on AHL ice.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

This would obviously require a lot of money to be spent, but I’d like to see a lineup like this next year: View attachment 689144

Curious, how long are the contracts for Gavrikov and Dumba? There's a paddling of duck blue liners that won't be getting a shot at the NHL level in Minty, Zellweger, Hinds, Luneau, Helleson, Warren, and/or Moore if there aren't enough roster spots for them at the NHL level. It also ruins the thought of creating talent depth to control the cap.

Verbeek's presser mentioned they want to build around the age group of Z, McTavish, and Drysdale too. Spending to the cap in year 2 belies the jettisoning of Lindholm and Manson. Then again, Verbeek has gone back on his words before.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
Curious, how long are the contracts for Gavrikov and Dumba?
Both are free agents this offseason, I'd look into giving Gavrikov a 2-3 year contract, Dumba I would pass on he doesn't bring anything we don't already have as well as all the future logjam problems you bring up.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Both are free agents this offseason, I'd look into giving Gavrikov a 2-3 year contract, Dumba I would pass on he doesn't bring anything we don't already have as well as all the future logjam problems you bring up.

Gavrikov is young by UFA standards and has shown he can handle big minutes on the back end. Based on how things tend to go, I think that's a formula for someone to offer a sizable long term deal, possibly even an excessive one.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I want a shutdown, vet RD to pair with Fowler. That's the least I want in FA, to have a more proper 1st pairing. Then our youths will be better sheltered at ES play for at least a year. It will allow LaCombe and Drysdale to get a full year of NHL experience as well as development. Their development is important to help shelter the next wave of youth blue liners.

If we're to return to the playoffs with a higher chance of winning the cup, then making sure our blueline are brought along with a higher chance of success must be the top goal the next couple of seasons.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Just out of curiosity, would Ducks fans consider a Byram swap with McTavish if the Ducks get a center in this draft?
No. It just isn’t a good fit. The Ducks are stacked on defensemen prospects and thin as hell up front after Z, Terry, and McTavish. Even after this upcoming pick, it would still be dealing a position of weakness for a position of strength. Not even counting the risk with Byram.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
We are drafting Top 3, I can see either of those guys hitting the NHL, if not Michkov

I think Lacombe makes the team out of camp as does Groulx.

Henrique - Zegras - Terry
Top 3 Pick or stop gap - McTavish - Strome
Jones - Lundy - Vatrano
McGinn - Groulx - Silf

Add a Top 4D - Drysdale
Fowler - Harrington?
Lacombe - re-sign Shattenkirk?
Benoit

It’s getting there not a playoff team but not a bottom 5 team either. Eventually the plan is to push Strome to the 3rd line once we have the depth in the Top 6
So basically even softer than last season? Didn't think it was possible great job

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Jones and lundestrom are both capable of playing much higher in the lineup. They should competent third liners at minimum.
Yeah I admittedly haven’t watched them as much as you but I think that Lundestrom can be a good 3rd liner and I think you hope Jones could be, but I haven’t seen that yet.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Are we expecting whoever we get at 1-3 to step right into the NHL next year? Bedard is a shoe-in I think.

I think all 3 can be NHL ready. Bedard is a sure thing to start but Fantilli and Carlsson could go either way.

Since we are getting a new coach, would like them to get started sooner rather than later. Not necessarily the start of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad