Racing: 2023 Formula 1 Season

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Latest rumor (per Marshall Pruett at Racer) Palou to Williams (loaned by Mclaren) will finish the season in Sergeants seat once Indycar season ends. Palou then stays at Williams until Lando Bolts to Redbull or Ferrari or wherever. Sargeant to Mclaren Indycar team.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Latest rumor (per Marshall Pruett at Racer) Palou to Williams (loaned by Mclaren) will finish the season in Sergeants seat once Indycar season ends. Palou then stays at Williams until Lando Bolts to Redbull or Ferrari or wherever. Sargeant to Mclaren Indycar team.

Not the wildest thing I've heard, but :
- If Williams is disappointed with what Sargent has given them, why the actual f*** did they hire him in the first place? He's giving them exactly what they signed for;
- I'd suspect Mercedes will outbid McLaren to place Vesti in, should the latter win F2, for next season. That would make the move even more stupid because I don't think he's any better than Sargent, and I don't think anything remotely suggests this in their junior resume either.
- The Williams isn't a complicated car (just not a very good one) so Palou could really do worse in terms for adapation. Still... I wouldn't make that move without a two year deal, because he could potentially look really bad if he doesn't adapt really well.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Not the wildest thing I've heard, but :
- If Williams is disappointed with what Sargent has given them, why the actual f*** did they hire him in the first place? He's giving them exactly what they signed for;
- I'd suspect Mercedes will outbid McLaren to place Vesti in, should the latter win F2, for next season. That would make the move even more stupid because I don't think he's any better than Sargent, and I don't think anything remotely suggests this in their junior resume either.
- The Williams isn't a complicated car (just not a very good one) so Palou could really do worse in terms for adapation. Still... I wouldn't make that move without a two year deal, because he could potentially look really bad if he doesn't adapt really well.
Palou would smoke Albon in the Williams… hes arguably the best driver in the world not named Max Verstappen

All of this is moot however, as it looks like he is committed to Ganassi long term which has infuriated Zak Brown and Mclaren and will cause a gisnt shit storm for Indycar silly season

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Palou would smoke Albon in the Williams… hes arguably the best driver in the world not named Max Verstappen
If he was, he'd already have been offered a 30M+ deal to drive in F1 in 2024.

(I do think he's a better driver than Albon though and that he'd be generally ahead of him at the end of 2024, should they be racing on the same team and should his adaptation period go okay).

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Some people argue he's only there for his nationality, which I never agreed with, but that line of thinking could follow into them being disappointed with how little exposure having an American driver has brought them.

Of course, anyone who's looked into North American sports for more than 15 minutes would have known that no one will care about a driver who will finish P12 on a good day, so I don't think that makes sense either.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
If he was, he'd already have been offered a 30M+ deal to drive in F1 in 2024.

(I do think he's a better driver than Albon though and that he'd be generally ahead of him at the end of 2024, should they be racing on the same team and should his adaptation period go okay).
name a F1 outsider who has been offered a $30m deal to come to the series

Zanardi, Villeneuve, Montoya didnt get such offers

IMO Palou is probably around as talented as Montoya or Jacques…

a pity F1 today isnt like 2001 when you had ferrari, mclaren and williams in relative parity with each other

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Some people argue he's only there for his nationality, which I never agreed with, but that line of thinking could follow into them being disappointed with how little exposure having an American driver has brought them.

Of course, anyone who's looked into North American sports for more than 15 minutes would have known that no one will care about a driver who will finish P12 on a good day, so I don't think that makes sense either.
Sargeant isnt even the best US openwheel prospect

i’d rate the following american U25 indycar guys above him:

- Herta
-Kirkwood
-Malukas

If Sargeant came to Indycar on a mid pack team like Rahal I would expect him to finish p12-p15 in pts

I think David Malukas is probably a good comparable

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
LOL inflation.
A good comparable would be Montoyas offer to bail from F1 to go to Nascar … around $13M a year

thats after he won several races and contended for WDCs

Thats like $20M in today’s dollars

Palou’s offer from Ganassi is around $6M (which isnt even the highest Indycar salary)

He would probbaly make around $5M if he were to go to F1… around $8M in mid 2000s money… not that far off

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
A good comparable would be Montoyas offer to bail from F1 to go to Nascar … around $13M a year

thats after he won several races and contended for WDCs

Thats like $20M in today’s dollars

Palou’s offer from Ganassi is around $6M (which isnt even the highest Indycar salary)

He would probbaly make around $5M if he were to go to F1… around $8M in mid 2000s money… not that far off
Montoya also was very demonstrably not the 2nd best driver in the world, being that he was the 2nd best driver on his own team.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Apparently we're also assuming F1 salaries only go up with inflation and, for example, the sport's popularity has zero effect.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Montoya also was very demonstrably not the 2nd best driver in the world, being that he was the 2nd best driver on his own team.

are you kidding me ?

He entered F1 as a indy 500 winner and CART champion in an era where CART and F1 were on equal footing.

He also will be remembered in history as a more impactful driver than Ralf Schumacher

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He entered F1 as a indy 500 winner and CART champion in an era where CART and F1 were on equal footing.

He also will be remembered in history as a more impactful driver than Ralf Schumacher
"Being better and more impactful than Ralf Schumacher" and "Being demonstrably not the 2nd best driver in the world" are definitely not mutually-exclusive situations.

No serious person puts CART and F1 on the same footing in 1999 and 2000. There's a claim to be made for mid-nineties. Not for post-split.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The Danny Ric Redemption Tour is going well.
Not going to expect anything of Lawson here with getting only one practice session under his belt, but there's no way Ricciardo doesn't at least miss Monza as well so I'm excited to see what he can do there.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Not going to expect anything of Lawson here with getting only one practice session under his belt, but there's no way Ricciardo doesn't at least miss Monza as well so I'm excited to see what he can do there.
Not to mention, first race after Monza is Singapore, which is definitely not an ideal returning ground after a broken wrist. Then it's Suzuka, which doesn't strike me as ideal either and is in less than a month. Quatar on Oct. 8th seems like the most realistic option.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Zandvoort isn't necessarily the most action packed race but I do like a track that actually punishes mistakes.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
No one seems to be very interested in winning the F2 title this year.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Ferrari made it 1 while lap before doing Ferrari things :laugh:
On the scale of doing Ferrari things this could be on the lower end though. It wasn't raining until sector 3 so the call to pit would've come really late. Although them and AlphaTauri seemed to be the only teams not ready with inters. I'd like to see the real time team radio with Leclerc until completely throwing them under the bus.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Bad weekend for the North Americans. Sargeant putting it in the wall twice and Lancelot jobbing around at the back while his geriatric teammate fights for 2nd.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Zhou's lucky no one else aquaplaned as badly as he did into turn 1. Could've been really ugly.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Bad weekend for the North Americans. Sargeant putting it in the wall twice and Lancelot jobbing around at the back while his geriatric teammate fights for 2nd.
Lance was screwed by strategy, but he really should've been able to do better than 13th as of red flag.

A shame about then Red Flag. It was a very, very good race with just about everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad