2023 NFL/NCAA/HS Football Thread

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Do you have rooting interests in baseball or basketball? Bears Devils while living near Toronto? That’s surprising

i know i've told this before on the forum....but the story goes like this:

never was a leaf fan ever...

when i was roughly 8 or 9 (brother was 7 or 8) we collected hockey cards and were getting into the game, i became a devils fan, he a blues and kings fan.... fate happened....

not long after that our family visited family in chicago.....they were all about baseball and football ... my cousin (same age) went on and on about cubbies (2016!) and bears.... my brother and i got on board at that young age.....

were both still fans of both... i'm so glad we had already 'our' teams in the nhl back then ...

as for basketball.... we loved it as kids but were both not massive fans of any team.... we 'follow' it nowadays but no real rooting interest in any team..... we did like the jordan bulls (with family there) but it never stuck once we got older....we also liked charles barkley and had his poster on the wall.

and it was cool seeing the raptors win in a shorter time than the leafs though. :laugh:

but...soft spot for jays (f*** the yankees)

....back to football

i have copies of sports illustrated from the bears super bowl win over the pats ...the pregame issue AND the one after the win. found them in the garbage in toronto in 2014 in a box behind a building i was working at.....

what a great find...best Defence ever

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
i know i've told this before on the forum....but the story goes like this:

never was a leaf fan ever...

when i was roughly 8 or 9 (brother was 7 or 8) we collected hockey cards and were getting into the game, i became a devils fan, he a blues and kings fan.... fate happened....

not long after that our family visited family in chicago.....they were all about baseball and football ... my cousin (same age) went on and on about cubbies (2016!) and bears.... my brother and i got on board at that young age.....

were both still fans of both... i'm so glad we had already 'our' teams in the nhl back then ...

as for basketball.... we loved it as kids but were both not massive fans of any team.... we 'follow' it nowadays but no real rooting interest in any team..... we did like the jordan bulls (with family there) but it never stuck once we got older....we also liked charles barkley and had his poster on the wall.

and it was cool seeing the raptors win in a shorter time than the leafs though. :laugh:

but...soft spot for jays (f*** the yankees)

....back to football

i have copies of sports illustrated from the bears super bowl win over the pats ...the pregame issue AND the one after the win. found them in the garbage in toronto in 2014 in a box behind a building i was working at.....

what a great find...best Defence ever
That’s a great backstory. Thanks for sharing. I will take issue with one thing. The 46 was the best defense at that time but the reality is that the best defense of all time is the Giants defense beginnjng in that era and continuing to today. It’s still basically the defense played by the Patriots. It’s still a relevant defense 40 years later. Similarly the best offense ever is the Cincinnati offense developed in the late 1960s or early 1970s if memory serves which later became known as the West Coast offense when it was perfected by San Francisco.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
That’s a great backstory. Thanks for sharing. I will take issue with one thing. The 46 was the best defense at that time but the reality is that the best defense of all time is the Giants defense beginnjng in that era and continuing to today. It’s still basically the defense played by the Patriots. It’s still a relevant defense 40 years later. Similarly the best offense ever is the Cincinnati offense developed in the late 1960s or early 1970s if memory serves which later became known as the West Coast offense when it was perfected by San Francisco.

if were talking about one season the 85 bears D was the best .... arguments can be made for other single season teams perhaps the 00 ravens with ray lewis....

but im a bit biased of course ;)

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
if were talking about one season the 85 bears D was the best .... arguments can be made for other single season teams perhaps the 00 ravens with ray lewis....

but im a bit biased of course ;)

I once watched a show that said the best single season defense was the 1978 or 1979 (can’t recall which) Atlanta Falcons..,the Gritz Blitz. I was shocked.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
1694139733474.png

this ended up a pick 6 for Detroit

Toney sucks

My3Sons

Sponsor
Reactions: njdevils1982

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The Chiefs will be fine, no Kelce against a hungry up and coming team trying to make their mark in primetime and the WR's shitting the bed was tough to overcome. That being said, I legit think the Chargers give them a legit push for the division this year before tonight. Also, can the refs start f***ing calling the Chiefs RT for false starts? That was disgusting to watch all night and he still got blown by Hutchinson multiple times.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
No one's taking the Bills lightly, you trashed 2 AFCE teams that should be right there with yours for the division if all goes well. And cool, the Jets have a guy that would've been an all pro as that plays dual positions, a guy that was very good in SF as their LG granted he had a very down year last year and plus a guy that was thought of the world after as his rookie year in Mekhi Becton and should be a decent contributor if he stays healthy. You still missed the overall point though about the Jets/Miami DL's being better and the Bills missing Von Miller for 4 weeks when they play the Jets and Miami within the first 4 weeks. I get it that you have to amp yourself to get ready for this division after the past 20 years it's been Brady and you guys but come on man, lol. And lmao ok, the Jets got after Josh Allen last year a ton and beat you once with Zach Wilson and almost did it with Mike White before you guys decide to enact the Gregg Williams bounty gate on him. Not to mention, Josh Allen got hurt so bad the first Jets v Bills game it almost derailed your season + tanked his MVP year for, what a 3rd straight year? Talk about hilarious irony about not protecting the QB.

Right, no one's taking Buffalo lightly but if you say the Jets and Miami's OL suck as a Bills fan then it's just ironic with a far worse DL and no Von Miller the first 4 weeks.
I'm not going to get drawn into a positional debate so I'll just say this:

Are the Jets a good team? Yes, absolutely.
Can they beat the Bills on Monday? Yes, of course.
Are they the team to beat in the AFC East? lmao.

The Bills have walked to the division title three years in a row. They lost three games by a combined eight points last year despite all of their injuries (including 5 All-Pro starters on defense - Vonn, Trey White, Milano, Hyde, and Poyer) and off the field incidents (racially motivated mass shooting, Dawson Knox's brother committing suicide, two snow storms that both resulted in fatalities, owner Kim Pegula nearly dying, Damar Hamlin, etc).

They made improvements at areas of weakness in the draft and free agency, but more importantly they're finally healthy.

The Bills have a better roster 1-53, so do the Dolphins. Which causes me physical pain to type out, because Dolphins fans on the internet are the absolute worst. But Miami's starters are better than your starters on both sides of the ball (except QB), and the Bills have far more depth than either of them. That doesn't mean a whole lot in the end, games aren't played on paper. But it's Buffalo's division until someone takes it from them.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I personally think Miami's roster is better than Buffalo's...its just that Josh Allen is an alien. It is very close though.

QB- obviously Buffalo
RB- probably a wash, though a slight edge to Buffalo
WR- Miami
TE- Buffalo
OL- both aren't great, but a slight lean to Buffalo when everyone is healthy
DL- Miami
LB- Buffalo
Secondary- Miami (when you include Ramsey)

Last edited:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I'm not going to get drawn into a positional debate so I'll just say this:

Are the Jets a good team? Yes, absolutely.
Can they beat the Bills on Monday? Yes, of course.
Are they the team to beat in the AFC East? lmao.

The Bills have walked to the division title three years in a row. They lost three games by a combined eight points last year despite all of their injuries (including 5 All-Pro starters on defense - Vonn, Trey White, Milano, Hyde, and Poyer) and off the field incidents (racially motivated mass shooting, Dawson Knox's brother committing suicide, two snow storms that both resulted in fatalities, owner Kim Pegula nearly dying, Damar Hamlin, etc).

They made improvements at areas of weakness in the draft and free agency, but more importantly they're finally healthy.

The Bills have a better roster 1-53, so do the Dolphins. Which causes me physical pain to type out, because Dolphins fans on the internet are the absolute worst. But Miami's starters are better than your starters on both sides of the ball (except QB), and the Bills have far more depth than either of them. That doesn't mean a whole lot in the end, games aren't played on paper. But it's Buffalo's division until someone takes it from them.

Miami's entire question mark is at QB, so that goes without saying. If Tua plays 17 games and Armstead isn't a walking injury, they'll win the division. And yes agreed on the Miami fans part but they have a damn good team that I ignore that fanbase for the most part. And I know the Bills are good, lmao. Where did I say they weren't? This all stems from you saying the Jets and Fins OL are trash when the Patriots arguably have the best OL in the division and it's going to mean absolutely squat for them. Also I'm sorry but I don't want to hear the health debate when the Jets lost multiple guys last year on their offense that crippled them. 5-2 and lost the automatic OROY and an perennial all pro guard/tackle with Zach Wilson at QB.

I personally think Miami's roster is better than Buffalo's...its just that Josh Allen is an alien. It is very close though.

QB- obviously Buffalo
RB- probably a wash, though a slight edge to Buffalo
WR- Miami
TE- Buffalo
OL- both aren't great, but a slight lean to Buffalo when everyone is healthy
DL- Miami

LB- Buffalo
Secondary- Miami (when you include Ramsey)

This is where this whole Jets/Fins/Bills debate started lol. None of our OL's are good but the Jets and Miami have far greater DL's especially with Von Miller starting the year on PUP.

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
the bills share the same curse as the sabres...

.....maybe?...someday?........................................................................

can't say i don't enjoy it though because it's glorious

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad