2024 Draft Thread

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Too Bad

That article should reads Leaf surging up the draft list to draft Tij Iginila ( HHOF son Jerome).

As someone that had the pleasure of watching many times Tij Iginila play in person for my Kelowna Rockets this year.
Leafs trade Mitch Marner at the entry draft for a package of picks and players to Utah and with the 6th overall pick the Leafs select Tij Iginla.
:hockey:
I'd only trade Marner if Silayev is on the board. and then hope we can grab Elick at 23, and our future top pairing for the next 10 years is born

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Today's Athletic (Wheeler) mock has us potentially taking:

23. Toronto Maple Leafs: Igor Chernyshov, LW, Dynamo Moscow

There are a number of players I could imagine the Leafs group liking here. They’re always dialed in on all of the OHL guys and I could see them looking past Liam Greentree’s disappointing U18 worlds (and Marek Vanacker’s because he was banged up) and appreciating what his game is about and what he accomplished in Windsor the last two seasons. I could see them liking Medicine Hat’s Andrew Basha and his competitiveness-skill combo. I could see them liking the smarts of Terik Parascak. But they’ve also shown a willingness to draft Russians, there will be a case for Chernyshov as the best player available in the mid-20s, and his game has some of the qualities they look for.

Of note, everyones favourite pick, Elick, was still on the board.

Reactions: uncleben

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada

There are a number of players I could imagine the Leafs group liking here. They’re always dialed in on all of the OHL guys and I could see them looking past Liam Greentree’s disappointing U18 worlds (and Marek Vanacker’s because he was banged up) and appreciating what his game is about and what he accomplished in Windsor the last two seasons. I could see them liking Medicine Hat’s Andrew Basha and his competitiveness-skill combo. I could see them liking the smarts of Terik Parascak. But they’ve also shown a willingness to draft Russians, there will be a case for Chernyshov as the best player available in the mid-20s, and his game has some of the qualities they look for.

He's a good prospect, we are in a situation where unless a player is by far BPA we can defer to position a little. I have a hard time picking a winger here unless they are head and shoulders above the rest. We are chaulk full of wingers. Much prefer a defenceman or center here, two strengths of this draft. Elick or Beaudoin at the top of my list. Emery, even Hutson.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I can't say I know anything about him obviously but his stat line is rough to say the least. Also, how the hell did he get 1 PIM in the playoffs? :laugh:

Watching this though you can see why he's probably rated high. Great skater to go with a big frame. I assume the big question mark is his offensive upside.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Is it just me or does Chernyshov's report sound a lot like current Grebyonkin?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Elick, Beaudoin, Ritchie, Emery, Mews would be my top 5 choices

Emery is my first choice

Elick is my 2nd choice

I haven't good things about Mews and don't really wanna target wings like unless our organization thinks it found the next Pastrnak in the late 1st.

I'll say that right now a lot of what I know is from people who are into scouting / prospects a lot more than me.

I will probably get into video closer to the draft if it seems like we're keeping the pick.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Emery is my first choice

Elick is my 2nd choice

I haven't good things about Mews and don't really wanna target wings like unless our organization thinks it found the next Pastrnak in the late 1st.

I'll say that right now a lot of what I know is from people who are into scouting / prospects a lot more than me.

I will probably get into video closer to the draft if it seems like we're keeping the pick.

Mews is a defenseman not a winger

Elick is a little more polished than EJ IMO. But EJ has a ton of potential and is an exceptional skater

Reactions: arso40 and WTFMAN99

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Really want EJ Emery but I’d be shocked if he were still available at our pick. Regardless of where he’s ranked by scouting services, he possesses all the traits that teams value highly.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Elick, Beaudoin, Ritchie, Emery, Mews would be my top 5 choices

Have you watched Henry Mews play?

He’s undersized, pisspoor defensively and terrified of physical contact. His skating and offensive ability aren’t nearly good enough to make up for those shortcomings.

Mews is a poor man’s Travis Dermott.

His only real hope at playing in the NHL would be as a forward. Ironically, he played the wing before arriving in Ottawa and they decided to convert him to defence.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
A name to watch in this OSH vs LON series is defencemen Luca Marrelli.

He's had a strong playoffs and is currently ranked as a top 45 talent by elite prospects.

6'2, RHD, who does a bit of everything.

If he has a strong series in the OHL championship, his stock will most likely rise quite a bit.

As a Generals season ticket holder, I’ve watched Marrelli closely and I definitely wouldn’t draft him in the 2nd round.

He’s not very physical and makes quite a few mistakes defensively. Yes, he puts up some points but I don’t see that translating at the NHL level.

Personally speaking, I would take Ben Danford ahead of Marrelli. Bigger, more physical and MUCH better defensively.

Reactions: SprDaVE and weems

weems

Jul 3, 2008
As a Generals season ticket holder, I’ve watched Marrelli closely and I definitely wouldn’t draft him in the 2nd round.

He’s not very physical and makes quite a few mistakes defensively. Yes, he puts up some points but I don’t see that translating at the NHL level.

Personally speaking, I would take Ben Danford ahead of Marrelli. Bigger, more physical and MUCH better defensively.

Yep I've watched him in this London series and he's kinda slow and looks like he lacks explosiveness.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Wouldn't Nabokov at 21 very a Free Agent
No, he's eligible for this draft. He has a March birthday, so he was 20 in December... which is the criteria.

Who Is Eligible To Be Selected In The NHL Draft? Draft eligible players include all players turning 18 years old on or before September 15 and younger than 20 years old before December 31 of the draft year.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
No, he's eligible for this draft. He has a March birthday, so he was 20 in December... which is the criteria.

Who Is Eligible To Be Selected In The NHL Draft? Draft eligible players include all players turning 18 years old on or before September 15 and younger than 20 years old before December 31 of the draft year.
But that 18 as of September 15 refers to the Sept 15 following the draft, doesn't the Dec 31 as well?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
But that 18 as of September 15 refers to the Sept 15 following the draft, doesn't the Dec 31 as well?

Who is eligible for the 2024 NHL draft?

Ice hockey players born between January 1, 2004, and September 15, 2006, are eligible for selection in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Who is eligible for the 2024 NHL draft?

Ice hockey players born between January 1, 2004, and September 15, 2006, are eligible for selection in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft.
Nabokov is an 03.
But he is in fact eligible.

I had to check the CBA. He's an age 21 player, only eligible because he didn't play any of his age 18,19, or 20 seasons in North America. Same situation as Hildeby, but better age 21 season

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto

Sounds like Mikheyev. Defender or Centre with the first pick. I know you don't draft for position, but they need to develop a young center at some point who can play in the top 6.

Reactions: arso40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad