Annual “THEY WENT UNDRAFTED!!?” Thread (2022)

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
My surprises were Emanuelson Charbonneau, ranked 81 by the Hockey News. 6:03 mobile dman. Grayson Badger at 84 by the HN. My personal seventh Round fav was Kasper Larson, 6:06 230, who got 40 points as a dman this year. Overages but with that size I thought someone would give him a peek. Ivanov was a surprise to me, I always took him in the fourth.

Reactions: Rekingsfan17

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I listened to an interview with a scout recently where he questioned the NTDP, saying it's difficult to scout them because they have a near monopoly on the best USHL players and you see very talented guys buried on the depth chart or played out of position and you have to really consider who is benefiting from playing with other greats as well that might not stand so tall on their own. He says it might be a better situation if the league looked more like CHL leagues where the talent was spread around the USHL more. I don't know if he's right or wrong, but it was an interesting viewpoint that I don't think a lot of people have considered.
I have recently. The draft results the past few years from the NTDP haven’t been that good, and I think that type of stuff has a lot to do with it.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Marek Hejduk.

I don't understand how a team can draft Daimon Gardner and not give Marek a look.

If his brother was as strong, it would have been a lock.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
They were both 5'11" but don't let that get in the way of your confirmation bias

Find any source you want on Saros from 2013.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Of the first year eligibles, Jake Livanavage, Niks Fenenko, Spencer Sova, and Zakary Lavoie stand out among the undrafted. All 4 were players I would have expected to be drafted before the 5th.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I'm really surprise that Tim Almgren and Elmeri Laakso don't get drafted...

Marcel Marcel too... the best names of this draft and isn't bad at all.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Because he’s not good.
Well, hopefully sometime in the upcoming seasons we will see Marek (and David but I dunno about that) and Kai go up against Daimon when Harvard plays Clarkson, and I can be proven wrong.

Hopefully.

I've always wondered what it would feel like to be wrong.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
On an opposite theme from this tread (sorry not sorry) I was really glad to see Victor Mancini was drafted by the Rangers.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
By my count, 7 eligible players from Canada's U-18 team went undrafted. That is by far the most I can ever recall. I know Q players couldn't participate, but really speaks to the quality of the team this year.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I have the same thought, about the first part. - he is a good kid
and yes, obviously has a top 6 (or 1st line) upside

He got unreal, unjust shit and blame for their early season troubles, he was picked as the scapegoat i think,
he was put to a doghouse and eventually he didn't play at all, what led to his contract ending and him leaving to Sioux Falls.

NTDP probably "black listed" him, told half trues to the NHL teams and never got scouted after that.

He actually had relatively good rest of the season; was Stampede best player after he joined the team,
led the team in assists, assists and points per game, with fewer games played what his team mates.

Stampede finished the USHL season with second worst record and scored the fewest of goals

As someone who has been following Fleming (live viewings) since he was 14 or 15, personally spoke to folks involved in the exchange from the program to Sioux Falls, other scouts about him, and wrote his scouting report for our Black Book - I can say that most of the quoted is not accurate and, in many instances, completely fabricated.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As someone who has been following Fleming (live viewings) since he was 14 or 15, personally spoke to folks involved in the exchange from the program to Sioux Falls, other scouts about him, and wrote his scouting report for our Black Book - I can say that most of the quoted is not accurate and, in many instances, completely fabricated.
Were there off-ice issues for Fleming or it's all about his play?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Michal Gut
Jackson Berezowski
Thomas Milic
Liam Steele

Overagers were mostly ignored...which seemed weird given that lost development year.

I was pretty shocked that of the Seattle overages, Hofer was the one that was picked and Berezowski and (especially) Gut were not.

Gut IMO could step straight onto an AHL scoring line next year. Best playmaking C in the WHL last year.

Was also very surprised about Jace Weir. High-IQ RHS defender who will probably play at 6'3 210 when he fills out. Skating isn't wonderful but to me he was a 3rd-4th rounder.

Reactions: Bubbles

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2