Annual “THEY WENT UNDRAFTED!!?” Thread (2022)

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Michal Gut
Jackson Berezowski
Thomas Milic
Liam Steele

Overagers were mostly ignored...which seemed weird given that lost development year.

Reactions: MS

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Saros is definitely more than decent. While he gets beat because of his size, over the shoulder/up high, he more than makes up for it with his athleticism. I still think askarov eventually beats him out and I like his upside more. Never been a huge saros fan, because Rinne left such a big net to fill, but saros has elite qualities. My only other knock on saros besides size is his inability/unwillingness to play the puck.
Yea, and he kind of has to be an elite athlete because of his size at that level. Big guys can get away with much less and I think that makes teams more comfortable picking them over diminutive goalies

Last edited:
Reactions: cool beans

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Logan Morrison. Watched most of Hamilton's playoffs for Xhekaj and Mysak, and I was consistently impressed by him.

I'm really baffled he went undrafted. Getting 100points in the regular season, with a monster playoffs performance in his D+1 is nothing to scoff.
Overager

Feels like not many chosen at thise years draft

Teams took much more chances with 2004 borns

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Yea, and he kind of has to be an elite athlete because of his size at that level. Big guys can get away with much less and I think that makes teams more comfortable picking them over diminutive goalies
Which is too bad because there are a lot of terrible 'just big' goalies.

Reactions: bebl

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
I really wasn’t surprised on Vidichek not being drafted but he is a good little centre who is really good on draws. I think he’ll turn it up a notch this year and be taken next year.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Overager

His overage season is the upcoming one if he chooses to return to the OHL. The past season he was 19 years old throughout it.

He also missed 2020-2021 due to COVID, so this was basically his D+1.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Did you? I went back through his thread, and didn't see it, so maybe you can provide some proof of that.

... And when we remember how Maddox Fleming from there went from being essentially a potential top 5 pick for 2022 to a possible not-to-be-drafted player over the course of 2 years, I'd certainly like to see how they do somewhere else first. ...
Fleming is a lock to be drafted. He’ll go no later than round 3-4.

It was just 2 months ago, curious you don't remember.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
Was surprised no one took a chance on Luke Mittelstadt. I like his game a lot, and he had a really good year in Madison. But I guess his size (5'11") combined with being an overager did him in. Watched a lot of USHL this year, and IMO he's better than most of the USHL defenseman that were drafted.

Reactions: MichaelFarrell

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It was just 2 months ago, curious you don't remember.
I'm glad you remember, but I certainly don't remember interactions on a message board from two months ago. Besides, you didn't answer my question. Have you seen him play anytime recently to be giving an opinion on if he should've been drafted?

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

QJL

Jan 2, 2014

The scouting report on Havelid is that he is an ELITE athlete. He was #2 on NHL central scouting for Europe, the highest ranked goalie not to get picked in a decade. Even at his size, it’s a surprise he wasn’t picked.

czech

Feb 23, 2009
Europe: Moravec, Rymon, Slavicek, Cibulka, Kmec, Elias R., Elias M., Bettahar, Greuter, Sidorov, Fenenko, Segafredo, Gazizov, Kvochko, Yakupov, Blednov, Yevseyev, Proos, Laakso, Lassila, Lundell...

Reactions: Czechboy

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Not that i think he’s incredible, but surprised Spencer Sova didn’t get drafted. Played a big role at the u18s for Canada.

I don't get it. On skating alone he should have been drafted. I'll be even more flabbergasted if he's not a camp invite/summertime signing.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Europe: Moravec, Rymon, Slavicek, Cibulka, Kmec, Elias R., Elias M., Bettahar, Greuter, Sidorov, Fenenko, Segafredo, Gazizov, Kvochko, Yakupov, Blednov, Yevseyev, Proos, Laakso, Lassila, Lundell...

Yevseyev did get drafted. Edmonton, 190. Decent pick IMO.

Reactions: czech

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I think once he left the NTDP that was probably it for him getting drafted. They have a lot of sway with NHL teams...

I listened to an interview with a scout recently where he questioned the NTDP, saying it's difficult to scout them because they have a near monopoly on the best USHL players and you see very talented guys buried on the depth chart or played out of position and you have to really consider who is benefiting from playing with other greats as well that might not stand so tall on their own. He says it might be a better situation if the league looked more like CHL leagues where the talent was spread around the USHL more. I don't know if he's right or wrong, but it was an interesting viewpoint that I don't think a lot of people have considered.

OakCity

Jun 24, 2018
Overager

Buchelnikov went #52
A few others were drafted like Milne, Spacek, Robertson, Sward, Tourigny, Malik, and Zhigalov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad