Around Hockey XXV (All Non-Jackets Hockey Talk Here)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ain't that a bitch of a rebound straight to Pastarnak off the boards. Not much Samsonov could do about that.

Actually I remember Ryan Murray making a pass like that to RyJo.

Anyway, “1D” Reilly caught flat footed and turns the wrong way on the play. Marner just watches Pasta skate past him too.

It has nothing to do with Rielly (who generally stinks on rush defense).

That puck actually came out right in front of the crease, that's probably deeper than where Lindholm wanted it. The normal bank pass comes out in the circle. If you put it in front of the crease then the goalie will usually just sweep it away. It was well within Samsonov's reach. But he froze.

So there's your answer IBM, that's what Samsonov could have done, play the puck in front of him.

you can call it a set play but you have to hit the boards just right to get it to bounce in front of the next like that if it was truly done on purpose.

I've never seen a CBJ player try that on purpose.

Totally a set play. There’s probably a reason for the CBJ thing.

:laugh:

Chinakhov just scored a goal like that. C'mon. The Jackets inferiority syndrome is destroying your brain cells.

Reactions: cbjthrowaway

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
you can call it a set play but you have to hit the boards just right to get it to bounce in front of the next like that if it was truly done on purpose.

I remember Jody saying once Seth Jones use to miss the net on purpose to rebound off the back boards hoping for a fortuitous bounce. Not quite the same circumstance as Pasta's goal, but you get the point.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Why do you say that?

To me it looks like he’s (a little to high in the zone) anticipating Lindholm dumping it in on the short side, and turns his hips to face him, then as a result is a step late in getting to Pasta. Marner as I mentioned just watches pasta skate past, not sure if he thought he’d be passed off to Rielly or not..

By the time Samsonov realizes that puck is coming off the boards to center of the ice (not going around), I think that’s a tough spot for the goalie to try to make a poke check personally. Might have been thinking he was getting an icing call too…

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Why do you say that?

To me it looks like he’s (a little to high in the zone) anticipating Lindholm dumping it in on the short side, and turns his hips to face him, then as a result is a step late in getting to Pasta. Marner as I mentioned just watches pasta skate past, not sure if he thought he’d be passed off to Rielly or not..

By the time Samsonov realizes that puck is coming off the boards to center of the ice (not going around), I think that’s a tough spot for the goalie to try to make a poke check personally.

Okay on second look I do think Rielly was slow there. I'm not going to hate his turn, he's not getting there any quicker if he waits until the dump in is coming and turns to his left. But his steps after that were really slow, unless Rielly has gotten much slower than I realized in recent years.

Marner doesn't see Pasta but in any case how often do you want your far side winger picking up the other club's winger and taking him deep into the zone? That's not his man.

But I still think most of the time the goalie gets that puck. Tough spot for sure. It's an effective set play because it gets everyone out of position.

Reactions: Cowumbus

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Rielly looking like Werenski on that play.

Happy BOS won.

Team is on a completely different level than the current CBJ.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Ain't that a bitch of a rebound straight to Pastarnak off the boards. Not much Samsonov could do about that.

A poke check woulda helped….

yes

Reactions: majormajor

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Okay on second look I do think Rielly was slow there. I'm not going to hate his turn, he's not getting there any quicker if he waits until the dump in is coming and turns to his left. But his steps after that were really slow, unless Rielly has gotten much slower than I realized in recent years.

Marner doesn't see Pasta but in any case how often do you want your far side winger picking up the other club's winger and taking him deep into the zone? That's not his man.

But I still think most of the time the goalie gets that puck. Tough spot for sure. It's an effective set play because it gets everyone out of position.

All Marner has to do is get in his way a little bit to slow him down, not cover him deep into the zone. However, if that’s what will keep the other team from scoring, then YEA, that’s when and what you want him to do.

The goal is on ALL of them. The winger, the defensemen, the goalie, and the non existent center.

Very modern day Jackets-esque.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I remember Jody saying once Seth Jones use to miss the net on purpose to rebound off the back boards hoping for a fortuitous bounce. Not quite the same circumstance as Pasta's goal, but you get the point.
Yeah. I'd say it's much easier to hit the back boards on purpose and hope for a kick back in front of the net than shooting it into a corner and get a nice bounce back in front of the net. The far majority of times you dump it into the corner it's going to ring around the boards behind the net. The fact it hit something on a shot that hard and rolled that slowly in front of the net was just a lucky bounce of hit the exact perfect spot on the boards for that to happen.

That puck actually came out right in front of the crease, that's probably deeper than where Lindholm wanted it. The normal bank pass comes out in the circle. If you put it in front of the crease then the goalie will usually just sweep it away. It was well within Samsonov's reach. But he froze.

So there's your answer IBM, that's what Samsonov could have done, play the puck in front of him.

:laugh:

Chinakhov just scored a goal like that. C'mon. The Jackets inferiority syndrome is destroying your brain cells.
Sorry. I haven't seen every goal this team has scored. It's been pretty hard to watch the last couple of years.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Samsonov definitely should've got to that puck but in his defense it's an unpredictable bounce off the boards that's at that really annoying distance where he actually needs to make a decision and it kinda looks like the puck rolling so slow actually caught him by surprise :D But yeah he froze.

Still the goalie blaming by some Toronto fans is pretty fun in a game where they scored 1 goal and had over .930 goaltending. Paying over $40m to your top4 forwards and then demanding > .950 from your $3.5m goalie seems to not make that much sense.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
All Marner has to do is get in his way a little bit to slow him down, not cover him deep into the zone. However, if that’s what will keep the other team from scoring, then YEA, that’s when and what you want him to do.

The goal is on ALL of them. The winger, the defensemen, the goalie, and the non existent center.

Very modern day Jackets-esque.
There is something any of them could have done for sure, and you’d have liked to see those things, but the inverse is that sometimes a play works. You note responsibilities and tendencies and you come up with something you think will work. It did.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Still the goalie blaming by some Toronto fans is pretty fun in a game where they scored 1 goal and had over .930 goaltending. Paying over $40m to your top4 forwards and then demanding > .950 from your $3.5m goalie seems to not make that much sense.

Toronto fans love to blame the goalie. So many of them blamed Freddie Andersen for the loss to the CBJ. Freddie had a 1.84 GAA and a .936 save percentage in that series. I checked the Toronto board this morning and wasn’t surprised to see Samsonov receiving way more than his fair share of the blame.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Stupid Jarmo could have drafted Johnston but nooooo had to go with Sillinger.

:sarcasm:
trouble.gif

Reactions: cbjthrowaway

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Stupid Jarmo could have drafted Johnston but nooooo had to go with Sillinger.

:sarcasm:
Is that another one of those pithy (pissy?) remarks that bring down the intellectual discussions that dominate this board? :naughty:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Dallas is another one of those teams that manage to put together SC caliber rosters without a bevy of super high draft picks. The players they do draft though all seem to produce, some at all star levels. Color me frustrated.
They are a great drafting team, yep.

Would be nice to get Robertson, Oettengier and Heiskanen from a single draft!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad