Baldur's Gate 3

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Stupid question but - if you buy an early access game like this - do you get a free upgrade to the full game when out, or do you have to buy again, and/or pay upgrade fees? This is specific to PC (think it's only platform it 's on anyways).

I'm considering buying it, but i don't usually buy early access so i'm not sure how it works.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Stupid question but - if you buy an early access game like this - do you get a free upgrade to the full game when out, or do you have to buy again, and/or pay upgrade fees? This is specific to PC (think it's only platform it 's on anyways).

I'm considering buying it, but i don't usually buy early access so i'm not sure how it works.

Yes buying it gives you full ownership of the game now and upon release.

What you would see people complaining about is that generally "early access" is for indy games and buying early access to give you incentive is discounted, maybe $5-10 cheaper than buying at launch. Larian Studios are kind of double dipping here putting a mid-sized game in EA and then charging full retail price for it.

Reactions: bobholly39

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
yeah you don't get it both ways, you want me to buy it early access then charge me an early access price.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yes buying it gives you full ownership of the game now and upon release.

What you would see people complaining about is that generally "early access" is for indy games and buying early access to give you incentive is discounted, maybe $5-10 cheaper than buying at launch. Larian Studios are kind of double dipping here putting a mid-sized game in EA and then charging full retail price for it.

Cool ty. I figured, but wanted to make sure.

I'm not too worried about the price per se if the game is worth it, so long as I get the full game later. I definitely want to buy the full game when out - if I get free time I may give early access a shot though. It sounds like the content is really good so far

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Game is 75-100hrs long for a standard completion? Easy pass, that is so ridiculous. Who the hell with a job/responsibilities has time for that shit? Probably so much garbage filler stuff jammed into that that isnt even fun.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
That length is about what I expected, my playthrough of Divinity Original Sin 2 was around 80 hours long. Playing that game with 3 friends is one of the most fun experiences I've had with a video game and I'm hearing BG3 (at least the Early Access part) is as good if not better.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'll play it eventually, but if it has that many hours of cinematics, I'll probably end up skipping most of them. I don't play a game to spend half of the time not playing the game.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Game is 75-100hrs long for a standard completion? Easy pass, that is so ridiculous. Who the hell with a job/responsibilities has time for that shit? Probably so much garbage filler stuff jammed into that that isnt even fun.
I see you haven't played a Larian Studios game before. That's about how long each of the Divinity: Original Sin games took.

Personally, I get overwhelmed seeing a game length be so long and it makes me uninterested but something about these kinds of RPGs are such a blast to play that time just stops for me while playing it and it flies by anyway because the games are great.

I'll play it eventually, but if it has that many hours of cinematics, I'll probably end up skipping most of them. I don't play a game to spend half of the time not playing the game.

I assume you're not going to see anywhere close to that in a single playthrough. These kinds of games are all about choices so they have to make cinematics for every single path you can take.

Reactions: Andrei79

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I assume you're not going to see anywhere close to that in a single playthrough. These kinds of games are all about choices so they have to make cinematics for every single path you can take.
Yeah, I understand that. It's just a safe assumption that a game with 175 hours of cinematics is going to be cinematic heavy. Even if you see only 1/10th of them in a single playthrough, 17.5 hours is still more than I can patiently sit through. I may not skip them entirely, but at least turn on subtitles and speed through them.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
DOS2 is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, but I'm glad I waited until the definitive edition to buy it. I did the same thing with Wrath of the Righteous and Witcher 3. I'll do the same here. I fully expect a brilliant games, but there will be bugs and I expect the final act to be relatively unfinished

Reactions: Romang67

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Coming out tomorrow. Apparently, the game is going to be huge and I've seen some devs already scramble and ask people not to put them to the same standard of quality as Larians BG3... Lol. Really looking forward to this game. I wanted to wait to buy it, but with being close to finishing Zelda and Diablo ending up being garbage after initially being interesting, I might just go ahead and buy it this weekend.

• Haha
Reactions: King 88

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Almost 500k players on Steam, i didn't expect this game to do that well. I'll be playing with my friends a bit later in the year as we are all busy and probably won't have time to finish the game before Starfield comes out.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Incredibly funny that they still hadn't fixed some item bugs that make the game crash if you keep them in your inventory. This was an issue last time i had played in early access last year and now it still was and kept crashing my game until i remembered that this issue existed. Had to throw away some specific food items or the game would not allow me to save , level up or go into any kind of cinematic without sending me back to desktop.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Have begun playing it, It has Divinity: original sin 3 flavors, but the lore is very much DnD. The attention to detail is pretty crazy and the writing/dialogue is top notch. There isn't the depth in builds that Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous has, but early impressions are good. I want to say excellent, but I enjoyed Diablo IV at the start and it quickly became a borefest. Doubt it's going to be the case here though, as Larian are usually great.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Love the game. Just wish I would have used my eyes to read and realize that Wildheart Barbarian is BG3's Version of Totem Barbarian...

Well, I guess I'm restarting the game later.

(Yes, I know I can respec my character, I'm just so close to the start I don't see a reason not to restart.)

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
OK, I don't want to spoil myself so I'm not really looking at anything about this game. I'm going to play it towards the end of the year when I'll have more time to focus on it.

All I'm wondering is how similar is the combat to the Divinity games? I assume it's very similar since it's Larian. Just want to confirm.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
OK, I don't want to spoil myself so I'm not really looking at anything about this game. I'm going to play it towards the end of the year when I'll have more time to focus on it.

All I'm wondering is how similar is the combat to the Divinity games? I assume it's very similar since it's Larian. Just want to confirm.

The combat is very similar. Its a cross between DOS2 and the DnD/Pathfinder games. The battle tactics (stealth, positioning, environment, etc) are still there but the spells/mechanics are close to what you would find in Wrath of the Righteous (only less complex as it's DnD 5e).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad