Baldur's Gate 3

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I never played Pathfinder. How do the spells differ from DOS2?
I don't think there's going to be much comparison there. The Pathfinder pen & paper game, and the 2 RPG's made from it is an extension of the DnD 3.5 ruleset (I believe). If you've played any of the D&D games: Balder's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, etc. They will have the most in common with the single player Neverwinter Nights game (not the MMO) that came out in the early 2000's, as those were based on the 3.5 ruleset.

I'd say the two Pathfinder games are the best 'Balder's Gate 1 & 2' inspired games on the market - old school isometric CRPG's.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Some developers are upset at this game for pushing new boundaries and possibly setting new expectations as industry standards. Elden Ring also received the same type of criticism.

Not feeling sorry that gamers want something more than the same open world Assassin's Creed formula copy and pasted from game to game.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I spent actual hours in the character creator before I read that you can multiclass and respec.... :laugh:

Something tells me I'm really going to like this game....

Reactions: Linkens Mastery

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Bumping this thread because I love this game up to now. Its honestly a tour de force by Larian. DOS2 beat out BG2 as my favorite RPG, but this one is a whole other level. It has the fun game play mechanics and freedom of divinity and DnD with the production value and voice acting of the Witcher 3. I can't say enough good things about it up to now. I'm crossing my fingers the other acts are as good.

I don't think there's going to be much comparison there. The Pathfinder pen & paper game, and the 2 RPG's made from it is an extension of the DnD 3.5 ruleset (I believe). If you've played any of the D&D games: Balder's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, etc. They will have the most in common with the single player Neverwinter Nights game (not the MMO) that came out in the early 2000's, as those were based on the 3.5 ruleset.

I'd say the two Pathfinder games are the best 'Balder's Gate 1 & 2' inspired games on the market - old school isometric CRPG's.

Wrath of the Righteous is one of my favorite games. Extremely hard and complex, but the mythic paths system is a gem. It's definitely a worthy successor to Black Isle/old BioWare. I would say though that BG3 looks a lot more like the evolution of what your expect the BG series to be 20 years later. It's like if BioWare made BG3-4-5 and we were at 6 now. It would probably look something like this.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Hmm... might not be for me, only turn based rpgs I've played were Dragon Warrior for NES and South Park The Stick of Truth & the Fractured but whole

the stuff I'm seeing about the game does intrigue me though
Those two are old school JRPG turn based battles, I wouldn't use them as a basis here.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Hmm... might not be for me, only turn based rpgs I've played were Dragon Warrior for NES and South Park The Stick of Truth & the Fractured but whole

the stuff I'm seeing about the game does intrigue me though
I'm holding off on getting Baldur's Gate until I have more free time later in the year but I know it's supposed to be kind of similar to Divinity and the combat is so creative and fun in Divinity. It can get a little overwhelming since you're kind of used to video game logic and it can get very deep but when it starts to click, it's like no other. You can mix and match spells for combinations. For example you can lay down a rain spell to make an area soaked and then use a lightning spell to deal damage to anyone in the water.

You'll often slip up and do something to your own detriment but you learn from it and try to spin it around and make use of it in your next fight. I really wish there were more turn based games like that to be honest. Maybe I'm just getting older but it was always way more satisfying to me to do something cool and creative after putting a lot of thought into my moves than to play an action RPG in real time and just wait for tells from the enemies to know what to do next.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Maybe I'm just getting older but it was always way more satisfying to me to do something cool and creative after putting a lot of thought into my moves than to play an action RPG in real time and just wait for tells from the enemies to know what to do next.

I wholeheartedly agree. I don't think it has anything to do with age for me - I've always preferred those types of games.

I see every turn, every encounter as a problem to solve. DOS:II, XCOM2, Pathfinder: WOTR... they all provide you with a set of tools, situations, and objectives, and give you the time to think things through and find a solution that works. I love that there are so many different solutions to the same problem.

Reactions: Frankie Spankie

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Let it be known that I'm not going to play this game. In fact, I'm anti-video game in general. But damn this is the most tempted I've ever been in my adult life to buy a game console and start playing. This looks straight up incredible

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Let it be known that I'm not going to play this game. In fact, I'm anti-video game in general. But damn this is the most tempted I've ever been in my adult life to buy a game console and start playing. This looks straight up incredible
This my start a shit show, but why are you anti-video game?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Any thoughts on playing a pre-made character vs. a unique player-made one?

(preferably without spoilers)

I will be buying this as soon as I upgrade my system.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Reactions: NyQuil

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I broke down and bought this game the other day (I try to never buy a game near release) and I am so happy I did. This type of RPG is normally not up my alley, but it's so good that I am now fully adjusted to the team based/turn based style (though I do love the XCOMS, I never played another turn based RPG).

I highly recommend this to anyone on the fence, like I was. I'm only in Act I, but I have been so impressed. It's also giving me that 'just one more thing' feeling where I play too long, I havent had that since probably The Witcher 3.

Reactions: Andrei79

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Turn based battle aren't really my style, but I may have to buy this. I'm assuming the battles look pretty badass?

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I’ve had Divinity Original Sin II on my back log for the last couple of years so I’ve been working my way through it before this comes out for PS5. It’s been an absolute blast so far and Baldur’s Gate III looks to be right up my alley

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I do think this game is pretty good, but man the combat can be overwhelming. I had to turn it down to story mode.

It felt very fair until the first village then it just feels like there is a huge difficulty spike.... did I somehow get ahead while missing some quests? Or is the idea I'm suppose to be using the long rest a lot? It just feels like you're quickly out of charges...

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
This my start a shit show, but why are you anti-video game?
I just don't think they're that fun, after not even an hour I get bored. But if other people enjoy them then good for them, just something I don't experience

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I do think this game is pretty good, but man the combat can be overwhelming. I had to turn it down to story mode.

It felt very fair until the first village then it just feels like there is a huge difficulty spike.... did I somehow get ahead while missing some quests? Or is the idea I'm suppose to be using the long rest a lot? It just feels like you're quickly out of charges...

I definitely understand where you're coming from.

I'm certainly no expert and frankly, am not very good at video games (despite practicing for my entire life).

However, I have a few observations to share:

1) I find battles in this game are something of a puzzle more than straight combat. Trying to find creative solutions is often more effective than straight fighting.

2) In conjunction with #1, quick save a LOT. This game requires experimentation and is extremely random. I wouldn't feel bad about reloading regularly. I certainly don't.

3) I'm not super far into the game, but yes I think long rests are designed to be used a lot. It's where a lot of the companion story progression comes from, and I've found you can miss things if you progress your quests without resting.

That and if you are playing any sort of spellcaster class, you're either resting a lot or relying mostly on cantrips. :laugh:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
This game is a level of quality I did not expect even as a fan of Larian. I wonder if they'll keep it up until the end game. For now, it's easily the best game Iver played in I don't know how long. It's so dense.

Reactions: Tw1ster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad