Prospect Info: Bedard Topic 2

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I've never seen a player able to drag the puck and change the angle of the shot as drastically as Bedard does, in all my decades of watching, playing, and coaching this sport. Not only that, but it has no effect on his release or accuracy. It's uncanny. It goes exactly where he wants it, with a lightning quick release, almost every time.

I can change the angle on my shot about 10% of what Bedard can, and I know how much that bothers even goalies that played at high levels(D1, Junior A, etc.) His shooting is just next level ridiculous. He might end up being one of the best pure goal scorers of all time. He is DeBrincat on steroids, and DeBrincat has a phenomenal shot and release. It's an entirely different animal from Ovechkin, as well. I've just never seen anything like it.
Ovechkin is obviously the Top 2 goal scorer of all time ... perhaps the best. What made Ovechkin such a great goal scorer? Obviously, he had a great shot ... but I thought his hand eye coordination was second to none. Those one timers were amazing. He's like the Tony Gwynn of the NHL.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
Ovechkin is obviously the Top 2 goal scorer of all time ... perhaps the best. What made Ovechkin such a great goal scorer? Obviously, he had a great shot ... but I thought his hand eye coordination was second to none. Those one timers were amazing. He's like the Tony Gwynn of the NHL.

And just how many of his goals have come from THE EXACT SAME SPOT on the ice?

Teams KNOW where he's going to be on the powerplay and it still hasn't mattered. He has to have 450-500 goals that are the off-wing one-timers.

No can defend :laugh:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I've never seen a player able to drag the puck and change the angle of the shot as drastically as Bedard does, in all my decades of watching, playing, and coaching this sport. Not only that, but it has no effect on his release or accuracy. It's uncanny. It goes exactly where he wants it, with a lightning quick release, almost every time.

I can change the angle on my shot about 10% of what Bedard can, and I know how much that bothers even goalies that played at high levels(D1, Junior A, etc.) His shooting is just next level ridiculous. He might end up being one of the best pure goal scorers of all time. He is DeBrincat on steroids, and DeBrincat has a phenomenal shot and release. It's an entirely different animal from Ovechkin, as well. I've just never seen anything like it.
I've seen Matthews do it a lot. Thats about it.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I've seen Matthews do it a lot. Thats about it.

It's not as quick or seamless as Bedard. And I still think Bedard changes that angle more. That first goal he scored the other night was just absurd. He moved the puck about 8 feet to change the angle.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
prime-party-dwight-schrute-it-is-your-birthday-yard-sign-the-office~14271398.jpg

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The other advantage that Bedard has over an Ovie or DeBrincat is being able to create the space to get that amazing shot off. A lot of great goal scorers need that playmaker to get the puck on their stick and Bedard just makes it happen himself.

Young Ovechkin created a ton for himself to be fair, he had skating, size and strength that Bedard just doesn't have. With that said I still think Bedard will end up the closest thing we see to a goal per game sniper since Lemieux at some point in his career.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Young Ovechkin created a ton for himself to be fair, he had skating, size and strength that Bedard just doesn't have. With that said I still think Bedard will end up the closest thing we see to a goal per game sniper since Lemieux at some point in his career.
Ovechkin was also a year older because of the lockout.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Ovechkin was also a year older because of the lockout.

Sure but his build is something Bedard won't ever have was my point, and he had it right out the gate. That type of build and power won't be necessary for Bedard to dominate though.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
This kid is showing poise and maturity beyond his years, great humility, and what looks to be a tremendous work ethic. Add that to what appears to be incredible talent and wow…. If he stays healthy in his career I really think he will live up to the hype and become an all time great Hawk, maybe an all time great NHL’er. This dude is really different, I can’t believe we got him. Don’t screw this up Danny and company, surround him with the talent and coaches he needs to win and make sure he is a Hawk for life.

I hope I didn’t just jinx him :)

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Gretzky and Lemieux are my top 2 with a special shout out to Mike Bossey who if he had stayed healthy probably would have been the best goal score of all time. First 9 seasons in his career he scores 50+ goals. Tenth season on pace for over 50 and has to retire due to bad back. Crazy good goal scorer with a laser of a shot.

It's not as quick or seamless as Bedard. And I still think Bedard changes that angle more. That first goal he scored the other night was just absurd. He moved the puck about 8 feet to change the angle.
That shot was noticeably missing from Matthews repertoire last yr.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Early on he was Pavel Bure in Tom Wilson's body. Now he's just a howitzer. He's managed to score at the same goals per game his first seven years as he has the last seven. He's the goat because of his ridiculous durability and consistency.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Early on he was Pavel Bure in Tom Wilson's body. Now he's just a howitzer. He's managed to score at the same goals per game his first seven years as he has the last seven. He's the goat because of his ridiculous durability and consistency.
I also felt like no one ever had as much fun playing hockey as AO, and that filtered through to his game.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
We’re going to have to brace ourselves for all the Bedard threads the next decade. Lots of absurdities on both sides will be thrown around.

I’m not going to worry about ranking him and just enjoy his career as a Hawk. Would be such a waste of his talent to get caught up in those discussions. Every single game he plays in is going to be must see hockey. I can’t wait. His shot in real life looks like when you edit someone’s attributes in EA NHL to 99 power and 99 accuracy. I can’t believe he gets shots off that quickly. Goalies don’t even react to it.

Fingers crossed the kid stays healthy and keeps his head up. Considering how many 1st OVR players end up winning the Cup the odds of us getting another Stanley Cup parade just increased a ton.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
We’re going to have to brace ourselves for all the Bedard threads the next decade. Lots of absurdities on both sides will be thrown around.

I’m not going to worry about ranking him and just enjoy his career as a Hawk. Would be such a waste of his talent to get caught up in those discussions. Every single game he plays in is going to be must see hockey. I can’t wait. His shot in real life looks like when you edit someone’s attributes in EA NHL to 99 power and 99 accuracy. I can’t believe he gets shots off that quickly. Goalies don’t even react to it.

Fingers crossed the kid stays healthy and keeps his head up. Considering how many 1st OVR players end up winning the Cup the odds of us getting another Stanley Cup parade just increased a ton.

Yes let's hope that the kid stays healthy throughout his career and that the Hawks are able to surround him with serviceable players both up front and on the back end as well.

I'm more confident in this happening with KD in control than I would be with Stanley still steering the ship, lets put it that way.

I'm loving the fact that the team seems focused on building a quick squad. That'll be such a nice squad to watch once they all crack the roster.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad