Management Bill Guerin

How is Guerin Doing?

• Total voters

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Zucker and Koivu gone upset some.

Staal for Johansson messed with people's heads.

Kunin for Bonino and picks pissed people off.

But Guerin was just getting warmed up.
I think everyone saw Parise coming but Suter was a total shock.

Other than that he's really been Blah.

I think BBB will make a BIG SPLASH soon and get a true #1C

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Zucker and Koivu gone upset some.

Staal for Johansson messed with people's heads.

Kunin for Bonino and picks pissed people off.

But Guerin was just getting warmed up.
Zucker trade was good.

Koivu was barely NHL quality when he hit UFA.

Staal for Johansson at the time was considered a horrible trade... Yet, Johansson outproduced Staal in significantly less games.

Kunin+4th for Bonino+2nd+3rd was a win in my book. Both player produced similar results. The 2nd round pick turned into a pretty quality center and the 3rd rounder was traded up for Daemon Hunt. Overall, I'll take it.

I don't get how people can spin these specific moves as "losses" when looking in hindsight. Suter and Parise buyouts? Fine. But the rest? No way.

Reactions: Rask Decisions

P10p

May 15, 2012
Zucker trade was good.

Koivu was barely NHL quality when he hit UFA.

Staal for Johansson at the time was considered a horrible trade... Yet, Johansson outproduced Staal in significantly less games.

Kunin+4th for Bonino+2nd+3rd was a win in my book. Both player produced similar results. The 2nd round pick turned into a pretty quality center and the 3rd rounder was traded up for Daemon Hunt. Overall, I'll take it.

I don't get how people can spin these specific moves as "losses" when looking in hindsight. Suter and Parise buyouts? Fine. But the rest? No way.

Agreed on all points other than a slight push back on the 2nd turning into a quality center. To be fair, Khusnutdinov hasn't turned into anything yet and is just getting back from a major injury which cause him to miss the whole year. But I do have faith in the kid!

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Poll results are surprising....it appears that the fans who dislike Guerin are just louder than everyone else around here.

I voted "fine"...but it should really be "incomplete". I think I would have a better feel on how he's doing once next season gets underway.

Last edited:

JP Flow

May 1, 2019
Out East
Poll results are surprising....it appears that the fans who dislike Guerin are just louder than everyone else around here.

I voted "fine"...but it should really be "incomplete". I think I would have a better feel on how he's doing once next season gets underway.
I think this summer is the point of inflection. He’s been in the role nearly two years, yet it’s still difficult to determine what exactly he’s doing. How he navigates this summer will, for me anyway, determine whether my “fine” vote moves to a 2 or a 4.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i h8te the zucker trade, im still in shock over the suter buyout and how the next 4 years will be difficult dealing with cap issues. im usually the first to say fire the gm however i still think guerin has a mess to clean up from former gms so im not ready to throw in the towel just yet. im not voting but if i did it would be #2. hiring judd gives me some hope.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
i h8te the zucker trade, im still in shock over the suter buyout and how the next 4 years will be difficult dealing with cap issues. im usually the first to say fire the gm however i still think guerin has a mess to clean up from former gms so im not ready to throw in the towel just yet. im not voting but if i did it would be #2. hiring judd gives me some hope.

You know who hates the Zucker trade worse than you do? Penguins fans.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I'm on the fence leaning towards a negative view on Guerin right now, but how he navigates this offseason and the next will determine how I view him. I'm skeptical based on his public statements of his vision, but he's really at sort of a critical juncture in forming the team's path with this current group of players.

I wonder how much of my frustration should really be directed at Evason rather than Guerin and if a different coach would be lead to less frustration. I think my biggest gripes have been lineup related and certain players that get priority over others with the Evason/Guerin regime.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Incomplete is the term I've been using for him as well. That's why I haven't voted. Between options 2 and 3.... as @Dr Jan Itor said... 2.5.

You should check out the trade board... Pens fans are trying to dump Zucker for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and nothing more.

We committed highway robbery in that trade!

Reactions: Victorious Secret

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
He's made a lot of really weird moves that I can't say I get so far. Hard to really gauge what he's doing and how it'll all look. Seems like after next season would be a better time to really grade what he's done as it'll probably be more clear then. Gun to my head, I give him a 3 so far.

I guess the thing with the Parise / Suter buyouts is that Shero is there now. Unless Guerin is an absolute loose cannon, I'd have to think he'd have at least in part run the idea past him. If it was that much of an outlandish and an unrecoverable error, you'd think Shero would have reined him in a bit. I mean he brought him in as an advisor for a reason.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
He's made a lot of really weird moves that I can't say I get so far. Hard to really gauge what he's doing and how it'll all look. Seems like after next season would be a better time to really grade what he's done as it'll probably be more clear then. Gun to my head, I give him a 3 so far.

I guess the thing with the Parise / Suter buyouts is that Shero is there now. Unless Guerin is an absolute loose cannon, I'd have to think he'd have at least in part run the idea past him. If it was that much of an outlandish and an unrecoverable error, you'd think Shero would have reined him in a bit. I mean he brought him in as an advisor for a reason.

Given the results of the Pens and Devils during his tenure I don't know if I view Shero's presence as a positive.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Given the results of the Pens and Devils during his tenure I don't know if I view Shero's presence as a positive.
He won a Stanley Cup and a GM of the Year award in Pittsburgh while effectively building 2 additional Stanley Cup winning teams.

He inherited a completely dysfunctional team in the Devils thanks to a half decade of incompetence from the Lou/Conte era and navigated those waters very well. He re-stocked their cupboards with prospects. Most Devils fans were very upset when Shero left, going so far as to call themselves "The New Oilers". Was he the best GM on the planet? No. But he was sure as hell a lot of better than most. It's well known that Shero wanted to keep Coleman, Palmieri, and Gusev. Ownership wanted them all gone. That's why he left.

Reactions: Mickey the mouse

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He won a Stanley Cup and a GM of the Year award in Pittsburgh while effectively building 2 additional Stanley Cup winning teams.

He inherited a completely dysfunctional team in the Devils thanks to a half decade of incompetence from the Lou/Conte era and navigated those waters very well. He re-stocked their cupboards with prospects. Most Devils fans were very upset when Shero left, going so far as to call themselves "The New Oilers". Was he the best GM on the planet? No. But he was sure as hell a lot of better than most. It's well known that Shero wanted to keep Coleman, Palmieri, and Gusev. Ownership wanted them all gone. That's why he left.
Wonder if any of those guys find their way here this offseason.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yeah; after this draft and the trades that went down this offseason, I am really questioning the hell is he doing?

Lots of off-season left, but if he seriously goes into the season with Rask, Eriksson-Ek and Bjugstad as his top 3 centers - Guerin needs to be canned immediately.

JP Flow

May 1, 2019
Out East
Yeah; after this draft and the trades that went down this offseason, I am really questioning the hell is he doing?

Lots of off-season left, but if he seriously goes into the season with Rask, Eriksson-Ek and Bjugstad as his top 3 centers - Guerin needs to be canned immediately.
Don’t be ridiculous. Bjugstad would play on the wing. :laugh:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Rask-Eriksson Ek-Hartman sounds like a great way to end up with a shot at Wright, Savoie or Lambert. I'm in.

Reactions: guitarhunterdude

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
No, that's Sturm.

Our best trade chips (1st rounders) are now used. What are we going to trade? Boldy? Rossi? Our 2022 1st rounder?
Why does everyone keep saying this? Wallstedt and Lambos are probably more valuable than the #22 and #26 picks in a terrible draft were 3 days ago. The asset changed in value but it isn't "used" or lost.

JP Flow

May 1, 2019
Out East
No, that's Sturm.

Our best trade chips (1st rounders) are now used. What are we going to trade? Boldy? Rossi? Our 2022 1st rounder?
If it was about culture, that’s fine, but one of the additional ramifications of buying out Suter (on top of the cost of replacing him) is that with him and Soucy now gone, Billy really can’t move Dumba without entirely blowing up his D corps. And, speaking for myself anyway, I always felt that if Dumba made it through expansion that he’d be arguably the team’s most valuable trade chips.

I’m perfectly fine with the selections at this year’s draft. Excited, even. But Billy’s short-term roster building continues to perplex.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

ctmagic

Jan 15, 2013
He’s going to sign a Wennberg/ *gasp* Granlund type to play with Kap n Zuc and I’m perfectly fine with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad