Management Bill Guerin

How is Guerin Doing?

• Total voters

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
I like the fact that he was hands off this draft. Let his people do their job. At least that’s what he said.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
What have been the reckless chances Guerin has taken? Trading for Bonino?
I mean... He's eating a shit ton of dead cap buying out suter and parise. That feels like a fairly big chance (maybe not reckless though).

That said, I'm interested to see where his team ends up in two or three years. I feel like (or hope that) he has a galaxy brain plan for the next few years. We have a good group of young prospects, let's hope he can make the most of them

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I mean... He's eating a shit ton of dead cap buying out suter and parise. That feels like a fairly big chance (maybe not reckless though).

That said, I'm interested to see where his team ends up in two or three years. I feel like (or hope that) he has a galaxy brain plan for the next few years. We have a good group of young prospects, let's hope he can make the most of them

Buying two guys out you don't want and eating 15M in dead cap isn't a "chance", there's no potential upside to that, that's just a bad situation. There's no possible payout.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Buying two guys out you don't want and eating 15M in dead cap isn't a "chance", there's no potential upside to that, that's just a bad situation. There's no possible payout.

If there was no potential upside, that move wouldn't have been made, regardless of how dumb a person may thinkk Guerin is, hence... It's a chance.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
To clarify, I'm not sure I'm in favor of the parise or suter buyout. I've flip flopped a dozen times....

I just have to believe he has a plan

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
We have always known that the twilight years of the Suter and Parise contracts were going to be rough. That was immediately obvious when they were signed. I remember Wild fans back then saying that these would probably be rebuilding years but it would be fine because we would have the memories of multiple cup runs to hold us over until we were good again. It didn't work out like that but that doesn't change the fact that there was no way to finesse the tail end of these contracts. Either you pay them star money to be bottom tier players or healthy scratches, you buy them out or you trade them and then pay a horrendous cap recapture when they retire early. All three possible routes end with a giant cap hit for little or no production.

I do think we are drafting better now than we ever have before, although we will have to see how our prospects turn out.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Foiled by this site’s mindless auto-refresh once again…

At the end of the day, his most unacceptable failure to this point was last season. Not adding anything to a team who was getting career-type years nearly across the board will prove to be a missed opportunity that he will likely never get again at the head of this franchise. Especially when any reasonable person could see that this team would be markedly worse the following year given expansion was upcoming. Add in the fact that he has admitted he was already in the planning stages of buying out two significant contracts, one of which was still a contributor, which would hamstring this team’s flexibility a few years down the road.

Not adding, anything, to improve last year’s roster will prove to be an abject failure of his tenure in Minnesota.

And if he rolls into next season without a significant add at center, this roster needs to be completely gutted as he’s locked them in to go nowhere.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Foiled by this site’s mindless auto-refresh once again…

At the end of the day, his most unacceptable failure to this point was last season. Not adding anything to a team who was getting career-type years nearly across the board will prove to be a missed opportunity that he will likely never get again at the head of this franchise. Especially when any reasonable person could see that this team would be markedly worse the following year given expansion was upcoming. Add in the fact that he has admitted he was already in the planning stages of buying out two significant contracts, one of which was still a contributor, which would hamstring this team’s flexibility a few years down the road.

Not adding, anything, to improve last year’s roster will prove to be an abject failure of his tenure in Minnesota.

And if he rolls into next season without a significant add at center, this roster needs to be completely gutted as he’s locked them in to go nowhere.

I see your reasoning, but I can see a different line as well. My preference would have been to buyout only Parise....but.....

In any case, if Rossi grows to a good player by then end of the year, then you have a great add to the team, at a cheap price. If you can get Fiala and Kap at reasonable for 4 years, it will be ok. The D is now what it should be for $$ (even though there is dead cap space there).

It's not bad, and I still keep remembering that we were a Brodin injury away from beating Vegas.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
I see your reasoning, but I can see a different line as well. My preference would have been to buyout only Parise....but.....

In any case, if Rossi grows to a good player by then end of the year, then you have a great add to the team, at a cheap price. If you can get Fiala and Kap at reasonable for 4 years, it will be ok. The D is now what it should be for $$ (even though there is dead cap space there).

It's not bad, and I still keep remembering that we were a Brodin injury away from beating Vegas.

Rossi needs to be a certain type of special to be a contributor on next year’s team after missing an entire year. I’m not certain he’s that, at the NHL level, next season.

Everyone on the D corps needs to slot up at least a slot. To me, they have three #2-3 defenders right now and then whatever the hell happens with the final three that start on the team. Don’t feel good about what that looks like no matter the dollars allocated. To me, the money they’ve spent on their defenseman has never been an issue.

One major issue they have had though is there is two different Brodins. One in the regular season that looks very good. And another that is barely passable as a second pairing guy in the playoffs.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Why add to last years roster at the deadline when we all knew we were not cup contenders. Even with a carter we don’t get past the avs.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
We have always known that the twilight years of the Suter and Parise contracts were going to be rough. That was immediately obvious when they were signed. I remember Wild fans back then saying that these would probably be rebuilding years but it would be fine because we would have the memories of multiple cup runs to hold us over until we were good again. It didn't work out like that but that doesn't change the fact that there was no way to finesse the tail end of these contracts. Either you pay them star money to be bottom tier players or healthy scratches, you buy them out or you trade them and then pay a horrendous cap recapture when they retire early. All three possible routes end with a giant cap hit for little or no production.

I do think we are drafting better now than we ever have before, although we will have to see how our prospects turn out.
No one foresaw a global pandemic that would shutdown the league, or cause games to be played in empty arenas, causing hundreds of millions in losses. That, in turn, has caused a flat salary cap, rather than the rising one that was normal previously. These conditions have made the Suter/Parise contracts even worse than expected.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You’re lying to yourself if you thought we were. You cry all year long about terrible center depth and all of a sudden thought we were contenders? Cmon now...
So just so we are clear. Me "crying all year" that the Wild would be legitimate contenders if they had actual top 6 centers is now proven to be wrong because that team without top 6 centers went to 7 games with the division winners?

Reactions: Uberdachen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad