Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | A True Playoff Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
with joshua i'd rather pay a little more to get it down to 3 years. but it depends on what numbers they are discussing. i want to pay him, but i still tie his success to garland chemistry and tochett.

i do not understand why anyone would target laine. he's a guy you maybe consider if cbj is a motivated seller, but there are a lot of ways i'd rather spend his cap hit.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i still think people are being too sentimental about joshua. he's good because he makes 825k. pay him 4m and he's another mikheyev: a guy making too much for his role

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
If I'm Joshua, I'd wait until UFA. You just know that based on past July 1st, GMs are going to go nuts that day and overpay big time. A guy with Joshua's profile (big power forward that can PK and fight and chip in 15 goals 30 points) are prime candidate to get ridiculously overpaid. Even if he has a meh playoff, his regular season stats this year is going to guarantee a bidding war for him.

Even if the Nucks are presenting a reasonable offer right now, I'd wait. All it takes are 2 teams interested and bid against each other, and he can easily earn himself an extra few millions (over the term of the contract, not AAV).

i get all the reasonable reasons for a guy to sign now vs later. but you have to remember you don’t make it to the NHL without irrational self-confidence, especially as a depth guy. you need that delusional self-belief to make it past all the super gifted virtanens of the world.

and so if i am joshua, or his agent for that mattwr, i probably am talking out loud about how even broken down punch drunk and a soft breeze away from a permanent hospital bed ferland still got a four year deal totaling in the eight figures.

A month ago I was trying to figure out how they were going to sign all of Joshua, Hronek, Zadorov, Lindholm, Blueger, Lafferty, and DeSmith.

I actually don't see them re-signing Lafferty or Blueger this summer. Both have been great. But Podkolzin, Raty, Bains, Sasson, and Karlson are all making cases for bottom 6 roster spots next year. The least likely to make it is Karlson because of foot speed though he can clearly score at the AHL level and is decent defensively.

I just don't see them spending the extra $2M on Lafferty and Blueger when they have half a dozen players in the organization that are knocking on the door and, with internal competition, are not downgrades and may even be upgrades.

the other upside to letting our bottom of roster players go on to bigger deals elsewhere is guys will want to come here on show me deals because we can show that our coaching staff and team culture launches sustainable careers. (vs being where careers go to die, à la l’epoche benning)

Reactions: vancityluongo

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
i still think people are being too sentimental about joshua. he's good because he makes 825k. pay him 4m and he's another mikheyev: a guy making too much for his role
getting reinhart right now would be buying high.

Both valid points and no way I want anything to do with Reinhart at 10M.

In regards to Joshua, the difference for me is that he actually performs his role, and performs it well. He brings a unique skillset to the team (hits, fights, excellent at disrupting plays in the neutral zone, good pk'er, great along the boards) which really changes the dynamic of our forward group. Sort of like Soucy does for the defence (just comparing impacts, not styles of play). Mikheyev was supposed to bring certain elements and perform a specific role but has failed to do so.

Last edited:

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Both valid points and no way I want anything to do with Reinhart at 10M.

In regards to Joshua, the difference for me is that he actually performs his role, and performs it well. He brings a unique skillset to the team (hits, fights, excellent at disrupting plays in the neutral zone, good pk'er) which really changes the dynamic of our forward group. Sort of like Soucy does for the defence (just comparing impacts, not styles of play). Mikheyev was supposed to bring certain elements and perform a specific role but has failed to do so.
Yea Joshua provide a dimension that we are lacking up front. If we can find a capable replacement at a cheaper price, then by all means go with that (although I think we should add another Joshua-type, instead of just replacing him, but that would be a luxury that we may or may not be able to afford). The biggest bonus of extending Joshua is his established chemistry with Garland and his familiarity with the system. You can bring in another player that should, on paper, fit perfectly. However, sometimes it just doesn't work out for one reason or another. If the cost is similar, I rather keep Joshua at a slight premium.

Also Reinhart is definitely having a career season that he is unlikely to repeat. I wouldn't want to pay market price ($10m+) for him. For a winger to be paid that much, he better be able to not only drive his own line, but pretty much be the engine for the team's offense (ala Panarin, Pasta, Kucherov, maybe M. Tkachuk). I don't think Reinhart is at that level.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
How accurate is this:
Hronek: 7.5
Podk: 1.25
Blueger: 2.5
Joshua: 3.25
Lafferty: 1.25
Zadarov: 7.75 *edit; typo, meant 4.75
Tanev: 4.75
Silovs: 1.0
++++++++++
Salary Cap = 87.7; Cancuks 23 Man Roster = 87.438

PodK-Miller-Boeser
Hogs-Petey-Mikhayev
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Aman-Suter-Lafferty
PDG-Bains

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Tanev
Zads-Juulsen
McWard

Demko-Silovs

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckleBerry

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
How accurate is this:
Zadarov: 7.75
++++++++++

PodK-Miller-Boeser
Hogs-Petey-Mikhayev
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Aman-Suter-Lafferty
PDG-Bains

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Tanev
Zads-Juulsen
McWard

Demko-Silovs
Zadorov 7.75??

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
How accurate is this:
++++++++++

PodK-Miller-Boeser
Hogs-Petey-Mikhayev
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Aman-Suter-Lafferty
PDG-Bains

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Tanev
Zads-Juulsen
McWard

Demko-Silovs

Zadorov is incredibly high. Blueger probably won't get that much of a raise, if any at all. I have no idea what Tanev will sign for. Given his age, injury history, and play-style it will be very interesting what he ends up at.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Zadorov is incredibly high. Blueger probably won't get that much of a raise, if any at all. I have no idea what Tanev will sign for. Given his age, injury history, and play-style it will be very interesting what he ends up at.
Obviously term is important but I'll be happy if you're right.

Agree Zads is high for sure, but he might be worth it for this team.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
How accurate is this:
++++++++++

PodK-Miller-Boeser
Hogs-Petey-Mikhayev
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Aman-Suter-Lafferty
PDG-Bains

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Tanev
Zads-Juulsen
McWard

Demko-Silovs
I think most of those numbers are in the right ballpark, with the exception of Zadorov. You can slash a good 3m/yr off that or forget it.

I have mixed feelings on Hronek honestly. If he's willing to sign $7m or under then do it. Anything over 7 and I'm seriously looking into trade options. That's assuming players like Walker, Roy or Tanev are available at a reasonable AAV. This is going to be a tricky one to navigate, right side guys are not so easy to come by. There's a good chance we see more roster turnover this offseason than I think most people realize.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
There's due to be a healthy number of free agent right shot defencemen: Montour, DeMelo, Walker, Roy, Carrier, Pesce, and Tanev.

I think Tanev will be their main target. Montour is probably going to get overpaid based on last season. Would be fine with any of the others since they all profile as perfectly cromulent 2nd pairing guys.

There's also a lot of guys that profile more as 3rd pairing right handers: Chatfield, Schultz, Hakanpaa, Barrie, Desharnais, Dumba, Miller, Brown, Lyubushkin, and Stecher.

Plus Tyler Myers exists.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
In general, there's quite a lot of good, and weirdly young, defenceman heading to free agency. The right-most column is their AFP contract prediction. Age, I believe, is as of July 1st.

Shayne GostisbehereLD/RD313y/4.38m
Brady SkjeiLD306y/7.39m
Noah HanifinLD277y/7.69m
Brandon MontourRD307y/8.71m
Oliver Ekman-LarssonLD323y/3.67m
Dylan DeMeloRD314y/5.07m
Sean WalkerLD/RD294y/4.87m
Matt RoyRD294y/5.58m
TJ BrodieLD/RD343y/4.91m
Brenden DillonLD332y/3.91m
Alexandre CarrierRD273y/3.57m
Nikita ZadorovLD/RD294y/5.10m
Chris TanevRD343y/4.68m
Brett PesceRD296y/6.72m
Matt GrzelcykLD303y/4.07m
Oliver KylingtonLD/RD27

Erik GustafssonLD323y/4.99m
Tyler MyersRD342y/2.67m
Justin SchultzRD332y/3.81m
Kevin ShattenkirkRD351y/1.37m
Chalen ChatfieldRD283y/2.77m
Mike ReillyLD301y/1.24m
Dmitry KulikovLD/RD33
Alex MartinezLD361y/1.7m
Tyson BarrieRD322y/3.72m
Jani HakanpaaRD322y/2.38m
Vincent DesharnaisRD282y/1.41m
Ian ColeLD/RD352y/3.09m
Matt DumbaRD293y/3.73m
Colin MillerRD31
Mark GiordanoLD401y/3.11m
Marco ScandellaLD34
Calvin De HaanLD/RD33
Josh BrownRD30
Ilya LyubushkinRD301y/1.31m
Joel EdmundsonLD/RD31
Troy StecherRD30
Derek ForbortLD32
Erik JohnsonRD361y/1.13m

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I would rather pursue Skjei at 7-8mil rather than paying near 8 mil for Zadarov
We have Soucy for 2LD. Fix the RD, there's no quality behind Hronek (who isn't even guaranteed to return!).

Matt Roy or Dylan Demelo in UFA.

The Skjei contract is going to be scary (as @Vector posted above).

I would rather pursue Skjei at 7-8mil rather than paying near 8 mil for Zadarov
There is 0% chance Zadorov will get $8M, lol.

I don't even want Z back, but that is crazy.

Reactions: Vector

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'd take Walker, Roy and Carrier on those contracts. Objectively, if Myers is actually a sub-$3M AAV I bet he's back.

Want nothing to do with Zadorov on that deal, and don’t love the term on Tanev.

Reactions: alternate

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
He's probably asking for 10-11m.
I agree, but at the same time, I can see him ultimately getting $8.5-9.5 x 8 years. When was the last time a UFA cashed in who was a perennial sub-PPG player with a prior career high of ~30 goals that played on a top team and put up amazing stats for one season? I think his statistical history will lower his ask by at least 1-2 mill but we’ll see.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I would do the Pesce 6 x $6.75m deal, but prefer Roy or Walker at there respective level though, especially due to the shorter terms.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I would do the Pesce 6 x $6.75m deal, but prefer Roy or Walker at there respective level though, especially due to the shorter terms.
Haven't Hurricanes fans been pointing out for a while now Pesce's marked decline? I don't watch that team much but I'd be careful of signing any player that looks like they are on the downswing out of their prime.

Reactions: Diamonddog01
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad