GDT: Carolina Panthers 5: Young and the Restless Fans

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm not convinced Young is the kind of player you take 1st overall. He's missing everything deep, and his turnovers are pretty brutal

Have a bad feeling this franchise just set itself back another decade with that decision to move up in the draft

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I'm not convinced Young is the kind of player you take 1st overall. He's missing everything deep, and his turnovers are pretty brutal

Have a bad feeling this franchise just set itself back another decade with that decision to move up in the draft
I think its premature to make this based on his first NFL game.....

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

These are his first game reps at the NFL level. Preseason is a big jump above college even though it's less intense than 'real' NFL action and they barely gave him any time to even adjust to that speed. He's going to have to learn what he should have gotten the chance to learn during preseason in real game reps, and we're going to lose those games. It's just the way that it is, there's no way to shelter an NFL quarterback and nobody is willing to risk injury in the preseason, so the team knows they're just burning at least half of a season in order to develop one player.

Reactions: Tryamw

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Rough game, I was at it and it sucked. But I gotta say the Falcons are an embarrassment of a franchise even moreso than the Panthers. Stadium wasn't even half full for a damn home opener lol. Panthers beat themselves with turnovers as always. Bryce was ok, the deep balls were bad, he had Mingo wide open for a 99 yard TD and missed him badly. INTs were just rookie mistakes, not too worried about that. Mostly pretty poised/comfortable in the pocket considering the circumstances so that was promising. WRs/weapons are pretty bad so I think it'll be really hard to get a read on Bryce this year. Need to do what the Bengals did and get him a legit #1 WR, but that might have to wait a couple years with no 1st next year.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Peyton Manning’s first NFL game: 21-37, 1 TD, 3 INT

Bryce Young’s first NFL game: 20-38, 1 TD, 2 INT
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the vast majority of mediocre quarterbacks in their first games in the 21st century have similar lines: a little better than 50% passing, more INTs than TDs.

I mean, just because Peyton Manning is one of your data points doesn't mean that Bryce Young is gonna be anything like Peyton Manning. Especially since he's at least six inches shorter.

The best hope is that he's RG3, who had a 139.9 QBR in his first game -- and also that they protect Bryce's knees better than Dan f***face Snyder protected RG3's.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the vast majority of mediocre quarterbacks in their first games in the 21st century have similar lines: a little better than 50% passing, more INTs than TDs.

I mean, just because Peyton Manning is one of your data points doesn't mean that Bryce Young is gonna be anything like Peyton Manning. Especially since he's at least six inches shorter.

The best hope is that he's RG3, who had a 139.9 QBR in his first game -- and also that they protect Bryce's knees better than Dan f***face Snyder protected RG3's.
I think you missed the point that the first game doesn't really mean anything which was the point of the post.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
The only concern I have is the same one I had with every QB in the draft.

Weak-armed QBs just have it harder. I am not a fan of them and I am slightly worried after watching that game. His ball velocity seems on the lower end.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
What a polarizing game. On the drives that Carolina went down the field in the first half, you could see why BY was picked 1st. He had accuracy and good anticipation on those drives. Then you have pretty much the rest of the game where you saw the growing pains of a new QB without any elite weapons. I believe he can be a great QB but it's going to take time and he's going to need a couple of draft to get him some talent at WR/TE.

I had a dream that we would get Marvin Harrison Jr. in next years draft but not only is he going to be as high as the #2 pick, we don't have a first rounder next year. FML.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
What a polarizing game. On the drives that Carolina went down the field in the first half, you could see why BY was picked 1st. He had accuracy and good anticipation on those drives. Then you have pretty much the rest of the game where you saw the growing pains of a new QB without any elite weapons. I believe he can be a great QB but it's going to take time and he's going to need a couple of draft to get him some talent at WR/TE.

I had a dream that we would get Marvin Harrison Jr. in next years draft but not only is he going to be as high as the #2 pick, we don't have a first rounder next year. FML.
Young had some flashes but also a lot of plays where he gave his doubters ammunition.

That said, it's very true he has basically no real talent around him on offense. DJ Chark, Adam Thielen, Hayden Hurst and Miles Sanders, really? LMAO.

Fitterer is just an awful GM as well. Hurney looks like a HoF GM in comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad