GDT: Carolina Panthers 5: Young and the Restless Fans

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Young had some flashes but also a lot of plays where he gave his doubters ammunition.

That said, it's very true he has basically no real talent around him on offense. DJ Chark, Adam Thielen, Hayden Hurst and Miles Sanders, really? LMAO.

Fitterer is just an awful GM as well. Hurney looks like a HoF GM in comparison.
Im definitely off the Fitterer train. So far it seems he cant scout DEs worth a damn. And now hes trying to play hardball with Burns?

Im done.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Nick Saban decides he's sad about NIL and wants to return to the NFL to reunite with Bryce Young and leads the team to....

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Tepper said mediocrity would not be tolerated!

George W Bush GIF - Mission Accomplished - Discover & Share GIFs

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
TRADING UP THIS MUCH ALMOST NEVER WORKS. JARED GOFF IS BASICALLY THE MOST SUCCESSFUL OUTCOME OF THIS.
Ehh, Mahomes, Allen are recent examples of teams trading up for a highly picked QB working. Possibly some others but I don't feel like putting my thinking cap on.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Ehh, Mahomes, Allen are recent examples of teams trading up for a highly picked QB working. Possibly some others but I don't feel like putting my thinking cap on.
Allen is not really equivalent.

Buffalo traded 12th, 53rd and 56th for 7th to draft Allen.

Mahomes is closer but KC was already a MUCH better team than Carolina when the trade was made. 27, 91, and the next years first for 10. Basically they were already a division winner caliber team that wanted to go from having a game manager at QB to a potential game breaker at QB

to get Young the Panthers had to give up 9, 61, a future first, and future second. There's a chance it might not blow up on the Panthers because, well, the NFC South is garbage, but that was a metric asston to give up with a high chance of it blowing up in the Panthers face. I mean Young could pan out to be a worthy #1 pick QB and it would still be a terrible trade that sets the Bears up for years to come just because the team has nobody worth a damn for him to throw it to.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I didn't hate the Panthers idea...I think there are two things....

1. Reich and the staff should've had to show what they can do with what they had. Kind of like Andy Reid did in KC. Everyone hypes the hell out of this coaching staff....but a good coach with talent can do what Reid did in KC and take a failed qb project (Alex Smith) and turn his whole career around. I don't think Reich is at that level...but the staff should've had to show some potential before trading away tons of assets in a move like this.
2....and this is almost the bigger point to me...this just didn't seem like the right year of the draft as far as qb talent to make this trade. I hope I eat my words. This seems like a 2012 NHL draft....the move the Panthers made...I could get behind for say the 2020 NFL draft...but that draft was so deep at qb you wouldn't have needed to move up.

The move they made took balls....balls we knock the borg for not having sometimes but if you do something like this it needs to be more sure than Bryce Young...no knock to him he seems like a nice kid....he is definitely talented and everyone screams about his intangibles....but when you give up that much they better have the tangibles in spades as well.

Hell I hope I'm wrong and we can all laugh at me in the future...maybe this is the Panthers version of the Lindholm/Hanifin trade.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I didn't hate the Panthers idea...I think there are two things....

1. Reich and the staff should've had to show what they can do with what they had. Kind of like Andy Reid did in KC. Everyone hypes the hell out of this coaching staff....but a good coach with talent can do what Reid did in KC and take a failed qb project (Alex Smith) and turn his whole career around. I don't think Reich is at that level...but the staff should've had to show some potential before trading away tons of assets in a move like this.
2....and this is almost the bigger point to me...this just didn't seem like the right year of the draft as far as qb talent to make this trade. I hope I eat my words. This seems like a 2012 NHL draft....the move the Panthers made...I could get behind for say the 2020 NFL draft...but that draft was so deep at qb you wouldn't have needed to move up.

The move they made took balls....balls we knock the borg for not having sometimes but if you do something like this it needs to be more sure than Bryce Young...no knock to him he seems like a nice kid....he is definitely talented and everyone screams about his intangibles....but when you give up that much they better have the tangibles in spades as well.

Hell I hope I'm wrong and we can all laugh at me in the future...maybe this is the Panthers version of the Lindholm/Hanifin trade.
Andy Reid is arguably a top 5ish coach of all time, Reich obviously isn't anywhere near that and never was, so how can you expect him to do what Reid has done?

2nd point is fair, personally wasn't the biggest fan either of this draft class but sometimes you just gotta take a shot on young QB talent and keep doing so until you hit. Give Bryce 2 years if it doesn't work out draft another, rinse and repeat until we wind up with a franchise QB. You need a franchise QB to win it all and have sustained success in the modern NFL and the Panthers were never going to get one outside of the draft. Would've been a mistake to continue doing the Kyle Allen/Bridgewater/Darnold/Mayfield thing.

I will say as far as prospect quality goes, it was a pretty damn widely held belief that if Bryce was 6'2 220 he'd be considered a Luck-type prospect and the #1 pick never would've even been for sale. His size was a big concern but that obviously wasn't the reason for his struggles in game 1. We're literally 1 game into his career, maybe let's hold off on the thinking he's a bust until we see him play a few years. Josh Allen had 1 of the worst first seasons of any QB I've seen and has become a clear top 5 QB the last 3 years. Bryce didn't play well nor did the team overall but brand new staff, lots of new players, new rookie QB will take time for things to start clicking.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Hey look, an interception! For the good guys, for once! Signs of life!
First positive/good thing for them in this whole game so far...and now they fumble it in the red zone AND lose about 20+ yards on the play. Just f***ing terrible. Almost halfway through the game, 85 yards, 4 1st downs, 4 penalties for 26 yards. How this isn't a blowout already is beyond me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad