Confirmed with Link: Chiarot to Detroit (4x $4.75)

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Chiarot - Seider is going to be a punishing pairing to play against this year.
& thus "The Punishers" D-pairing was coined (TM).

someone w/actual Photoshop skill plz to put Sure-Rot & Seider on pic below.

1658089484829.png

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I don't think this signing is bad. I know the analytics community HATES this guy with a burning passion, but I've seen enough of Ben Chiarot to also form a reasonable opinion that the analytics folks are just wrong about how they define him. Don't get me wrong...I do like the use of analytics as a tool as much as the next guy, but they aren't the be-all-end-all. Going 100% on analytics is the opposite end of the crazy spectrum from going 100% Brian Burke. Analytics junkies who just shit on everything that doesn't fit their narrative are nothing more than new-age dinosaurs.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I don't think this signing is bad. I know the analytics community HATES this guy with a burning passion, but I've seen enough of Ben Chiarot to also form a reasonable opinion that the analytics folks are just wrong about how they define him. Don't get me wrong...I do like the use of analytics as a tool as much as the next guy, but they aren't the be-all-end-all. Going 100% on analytics is the opposite end of the crazy spectrum from going 100% Brian Burke. Analytics junkies who just shit on everything that doesn't fit their narrative are nothing more than new-age dinosaurs.
In your opinion, should Yzerman veer towards analytics more than he does currently, for trades, roster decisions, drafts, all of it...

I feel like he could use a touch more, but I'm just another armchair GM judging a HHOF'er so what do I know?

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
In your opinion, should Yzerman veer towards analytics more than he does currently, for trades, roster decisions, drafts, all of it...

I feel like he could use a touch more, but I'm just another armchair GM judging a HHOF'er so what do I know?
I think he uses them about the right amount. He's smart enough to know their value, but isn't out here trying to be Kyle Dubas either. He's still probably in the top 10 of GMs in terms of how much he uses analytics.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Analytics don't work well on defensive dmen.

That being said, I wish they'd emphasize it a bit more on their second round draft picks. Their first pick in the second round is always a FOMO pick.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Who in here knows how much Yzerman will use analytics? And which kind of analytics?

I know many analytic systems, which will track totally different data, than these charts which are shown in public, and created from NHL data which is given public. Some data is not shared in public, because it's THE data. What makes the difference. We Could be just seeing wrong kind of statistics, different than Yzerman is basing his analytic view.

And also, some player could look bad on some certain place in the past with different teammates. But, when you hire a new guy, MAIN THING is to project how will he work with our players. That's the Yzerman-thing, his hockey-eye is put on the table to see that. It's the projection and future that will mean, not always what the player did in the past.

Last edited:

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
I know it was a few years ago, but being a WInnipeger, I saw alot of him. He was the only person that could play with Buff and allow him to do his thing out there. Everyone else was a disaster

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What comes to our Free Agents, 5/6 did pass the public analytics as great hires.

Perron, Copp, Kubalik, Määttä, Husso, all great. Also Pysyk was that "analytics darling" in a small role.

Chiarot is the only different. "Black hole" "worse than DeKeyser" etc. And this will be very interesting to see, what happens at Detroit.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What comes to our Free Agents, 5/6 did pass the public analytics as great hires.

Perron, Copp, Kubalik, Määttä, Husso, all great. Also Pysyk was that "analytics darling" in a small role.

Chiarot is the only different. "Black hole" "worse than DeKeyser" etc. And this will be very interesting to see, what happens at Detroit.
Chiarot was signed as a physical presence, you can't put numbers to that. It makes Smith somewhat expendable, though Chiarot isn't that good (or frequent) of a fighter.

Stevie realized this team was too soft.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Chiarot was signed as a physical presence, you can't put numbers to that. It makes Smith somewhat expendable, though Chiarot isn't that good (or frequent) of a fighter.

Stevie realized this team was too soft.

As far as fighting goes, a team with Smith, Bertuzzi and Chiarot in the lineup is plenty tough enough in the new NHL.

Add Seider, Perron and even Edvinsson/Rasmussen to that list and they'll definitely not be pushovers at all anymore. They might even legitimately be one of the harder teams to play against in the league

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
As far as fighting goes, a team with Smith, Bertuzzi and Chiarot in the lineup is plenty tough enough in the new NHL.

Add Seider, Perron and even Edvinsson/Rasmussen to that list and they'll definitely not be pushovers at all anymore. They might even legitimately be one of the harder teams to play against in the league
I think Smith is the odd man out, and he gets sent to GR to serve that role there.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think Smith is the odd man out, and he gets sent to GR to serve that role there.
I think hes in a battle for a spot for sure but I would be surprised if he isnt at least the 13th forward. Theyre obviously putting an emphasis on getting tougher, which means they might keepSmith around even if hes not playing regularly

Shultzyfeelinirie25

Jun 29, 2018
I think a big part of this signing too is to have a solid D to clear the crease block shots help on the PK same with Maatta we go shelled so many games last season that i think Yzerman said enough we need to add some size and strength to the backend and i dont think analytics really works that well for a player like Chiarot

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Interestingly, Chiarot's last name is Italian in origin, and it means "light-skinned," or "light complexion." The Italian pronunciation is "kee-ARE-oh."

Had 3 minutes before my meeting started and this is what I chose to do with that time. Can we start the season already??

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Interestingly, Chiarot's last name is Italian in origin, and it means "light-skinned," or "light complexion." The Italian pronunciation is "kee-ARE-oh."

Had 3 minutes before my meeting started and this is what I chose to do with that time. Can we start the season already??
I would've guessed French, but what do I know, so I'll just throw my hands up in the air & leave it to the experts.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

Wow - you are correct sir!

Now to complete the look...

1658242227161.png

Last edited:
Reactions: jaster

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think hes in a battle for a spot for sure but I would be surprised if he isnt at least the 13th forward. Theyre obviously putting an emphasis on getting tougher, which means they might keepSmith around even if hes not playing regularly
Playing tough good hockey. Unfortunately Smith only does one of the two.

I would've guessed French, but what do I know, so I'll just throw my hands up in the air & leave it to the experts.
Yes, that was my guess as well in which case it would be pronounced "sha-row", but I looked up the name origin and I can't speak a lick of Italian despite having been there 3 times, so I'm going with Chia Rot.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Playing tough good hockey. Unfortunately Smith only does one of the two.
You generally dont have 13th forwards who play good hockey to begin with, so if one provides some edge and still plays like a typical 13th forward dont be surprised if he gets the spot. Smith is also still young so its not like hes out of room for improvement

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
You generally dont have 13th forwards who play good hockey to begin with, so if one provides some edge and still plays like a typical 13th forward dont be surprised if he gets the spot. Smith is also still young so its not like hes out of room for improvement

Plus cheap RFA deal.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm assuming Stevie carries 8D if Edvinsson makes the team, so that only leaves one extra forward spot. I assume Zadina or Erne will wind up in the doghouse sooner or later, and Smith winds up being the odd man out.

This team has enough spare parts now that 13th forward is going to be an underperforming player that gets healthy scratched, not a warm body like Smith.

We'll see what happens, but he's my odd man out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad