Post-Game Talk: Could've been worse. Leafs go down 3-1 in the game and the series.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Ooof. Recorded the game because I had a thing to go to. What the hell, Matthews out? Marner crying on the bench? Nylander yelling at teammates? What happened there, I just skipped through most of it. Don’t want watch that crap.

Looked horrendous to watch in real time. These guys seem to have forgot how to score……again.

Without Matthews and a goalie we’re done. Big changes coming this summer.
For me, just watching every other series, where it looks, feels and sounds like playoff hockey. Boston aren't even a good team.. just don't beat themselves and get great goaltending.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
For me, just watching every other series, where it looks, feels and sounds like playoff hockey. Boston aren't even a good team.. just don't beat themselves and get great goaltending.

They don't have near the depth they used to have but they play good basic hockey and everyone does their part. Take advantage of mistakes by the other team and ride good goaltending.. and away they go.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He's not here, but most of his mistakes and/or the consequences of them are.

On F: Bertuzzi, Domi, Holmberg, Reaves, Kampf, and Dewar are all Tre.
On D: Lub, Benoit, Edmundson, and Klingberg are all Tre.
In goal: Samsanov is Tre.

Most of these players are not doing much of anything.

It is weird to single out only players from years before, really outside of Kampf, Domi, Benoit, and Holmberg, I wouldn't care if any of these guys came back.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It looks bad because it’s Marner being Marner and the Leafs lost. If that was Mackinnon and the temper tantrum led to some productive team turnaround that would have been another act of hockey passion.

I wonder who picked up the gloves?
Hard comparison, what other 11 million dollar player is as incredibly soft as Marner? Even Kessel showed more competitiveness on the ice than Marner. Mack is a very competitive player, whose emotions boil over occasionally on the ice.

Marner truly doesn't look like a player who cares about winning/losing. He shows more emotion when he is criticized then he ever does in the game. While on the ice, nothing bothers him. He actually seems to work harder in season games then playoffs, probably because it's a safer environment and you have to work 82 games. Whereas playoffs is dangerous and if you win, you must work longer. Personally, I think Marner can't wait for the offseason. The longer the break, the better.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
The Leaf doctors pulled him from the game, likely due to the risk of dehydration. He was running on fumes the last couple of games due to food poisoning.

He should be back to normal by
Yes it was Matthews that was barely able to use his left leg to skate off. He was shuffling. I am surprised that more people aren't pointing that out. He probably had his ankle frozen and it wore off ...that would be my guess.
His ankle got turned 90 degrees. They even showed a replay.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Hard comparison, what other 11 million dollar player is as incredibly soft as Marner? Even Kessel showed more competitiveness on the ice than Marner. Mack is a very competitive player, whose emotions boil over occasionally on the ice.

Marner truly doesn't look like a player who cares about winning/losing. He shows more emotion when he is criticized then he ever does in the game. While on the ice, nothing bothers him. He actually seems to work harder in season games then playoffs, probably because it's a safer environment and you have to work 82 games. Whereas playoffs is dangerous and if you win, you must work longer. Personally, I think Marner can't wait for the offseason. The longer the break, the better.

Saying someone doesn't care while discussing a player who is being criticized for showing too much emotion is hilarious to me.

Stephen had it right... if it is Mac, people are praising him.

It all depends on how you viewed Marner before and your post proves it.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

It is weird to single out only players from years before, really outside of Kampf, Domi, Benoit, and Holmberg, I wouldn't care if any of these guys came back.
Kampf and Samsanov were already here. Bertuzzi, Domi, Holmberg and Dewar are better than what we had before. But the biggest problems are JT and Mitch and a lack of D and G and no assets to improve them. That's why I said "mistakes and/or the consequences of them".

Weird to single out only new players when it's the old ones who are the issue.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

5.5 mill Bertuzzi and 3.5 mill Domi have made more noticeable impacts on the game then Marner. They also have more points than Marner.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Kampf and Samsanov were already here. Bertuzzi, Domi, Holmberg and Dewar are better than what we had before. But the biggest problems are JT and Mitch and a lack of D and G and no assets to improve them. That's why I said "mistakes and/or the consequences of them".

Kampf and Samsanov were free agents, they were signed by Treliving... their being here before is irrelevant, he made the decision.

I am saying the entire team is playing badly... every thread is complaining about players who were here before this year, and no one is calling out new guys.

Guys like Bertuzzi, who is getting embarrassed by Marchand are off the hook for some reason, even though they were brought in for the playoffs.

5.5 mill Bertuzzi and 3.5 mill Domi have made more noticeable impacts on the game then Marner. They also have more points than Marner.

Bertuzzi has been trash, I like Domi.

The majority of the team (including Marner) has sucked, not disputing that, people are just attacking anyone but new people, it is weird.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
1714331644656.png

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Saying someone doesn't care while discussing a player who is being criticized for showing too much emotion is hilarious to me.

Difference between Mac and Marner is Mac goes out on the ice and shows the same emotions. If the only time Marner can show any kind of emotions is on the bench when arguing with his teammates then why would anyone praise him. mac would fight for his teammates and Marner will not. there's no comparison between the 2 and until Mar5ner starts to show some emotion on the ice except when he scores or gets a point then nobody is gonna praise him.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I’ve come to the conclusion that Marner is not capable of being a playoff leader. If he ever finds success and wins a championship, it probably looks more like Phil Kessel bandwagonning behind the right cast of core players and he can be left to be a two way spark plug, add some flair here and there, and retreat to quiet and safety when it gets too heated, and most likely in a market far far away from Toronto.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Kampf and Samsanov were free agents, they were signed by Treliving... their being here before is irrelevant, he made the decision.

I am saying the entire team is playing badly... every thread is complaining about players who were here before this year, and no one is calling out new guys.

Guys like Bertuzzi, who is getting embarrassed by Marchand are off the hook for some reason, even though they were brought in for the playoffs.

Bertuzzi has been trash, I like Domi.

The majority of the team (including Marner) has sucked, not disputing that, people are just attacking anyone but new people, it is weird.
Bertuzzi is leading our team in points. Domi is tied with the team lead. All those other guys have points. Only forwards who don't have points are Robertson, Jarnkrok and Holmberg. 22 million dollar combo has 3 points combined in 4 games. So yes, the stars are gonna get called out and deserve i, especially since they get all of the PP time and do nothing but waste 2 minutes off the clock for the rest of the team.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

...Marner is emotional because he personally is being attacked. He isn't being emotional because his team is losing, if he was it would occasionally show on the ice vs the opponent. There are plenty of examples of Mack's emotions boiling over vs the opponent. Marner can't even be bothered to grab a guy in a scrum.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
His ankle got turned 90 degrees. They even showed a replay.
Why are we the only people that saw that clip and surmise that its his ankle? He got dragged down in the corner and his ankle bent in a way they weren't meant to bend. He literally couldn't skate off the ice at the end of the 2nd...he was favoring his left leg that got twisted up. I just don't remember if it was game 2 at the end or game 3 at the end.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Agreed. That being said, I'm ok with keeping Nylander as part of the core moving forward based on his past playoff performances.

Marner on the other hand is not worth what he'll be asking for. I said in the past that we should hold on to him until Tavares' contract expires and re-sign him, but I think Treliving needs to seriously explore moving him this off season.
We have no choice on Nylander. Marner we do. He blackmailed us. You paid to watch. He gets paid. The problem is you need defense and goaltending. Something the Leafs don't do. Unless you mean Rask to Boston. Trust Leaf management to do the dumbest thing, Hyman, and call it good. Toronto, biggest loser record in all of pro sports.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
...Marner is emotional because he personally is being attacked. He isn't being emotional because his team is losing, if he was it would occasionally show on the ice vs the opponent. There are plenty of examples of Mack's emotions boiling over vs the opponent. Marner can't even be bothered to grab a guy in a scrum.
He's always been emotional, even when he wasn't being attacked in the media.

Reactions: ACC1224

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Marner has grabbed guys in scrums, you may have missed it.

Also, it is weird that you can tell why people are emotional, I wish I had that power.

I've seen emotion from him more before when they lost, not sure if you just forgot or didn't see it, but it's happened.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

The "Shitty" new players are out scoring the amazing Dubas players....so that kind of throws the "Dubas knew best" routine out of whack.

Difference between Mac and Marner is Mac goes out on the ice and shows the same emotions. If the only time Marner can show any kind of emotions is on the bench when arguing with his teammates then why would anyone praise him. mac would fight for his teammates and Marner will not. there's no comparison between the 2 and until Mar5ner starts to show some emotion on the ice except when he scores or gets a point then nobody is gonna praise him.
Did Marner get smaller over the last couple of years or is he so afraid of injuring himself and screwing up his contract year that he is playing with eggs in his pockets. He seems unusually weak on the puck and makes Kessel look like Hyman along the boards.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad