Value of: Darnell Nurse

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
the position the Oilers are in with Nurse reminds of me or where the Leafs were with Phaneuf. Half the board thinks he’s not worth his contract, yet he’s debatably the best defensemen on his team and the Oilers need him more than other teams do. Edmonton fans would have chuckled at us moving Phaneuf without retention back then.

Oilers would just need to acquire another defensemen right away during McDrai’s Prime years if they did move him.

Spargon

May 31, 2019
the position the Oilers are in with Nurse reminds of me or where the Leafs were with Phaneuf. Half the board thinks he’s not worth his contract, yet he’s debatably the best defensemen on his team and the Oilers need him more than other teams do. Edmonton fans would have chuckled at us moving Phaneuf without retention back then.

Oilers would just need to acquire another defensemen right away during McDrai’s Prime years if they did move him.
Big difference in contract though. Phaneuf was paid 6.5mil by Calgary to be a bruising scoring 2nd pair offensive guy. Leafs made him captain and their #1 and expected him to to shut down other teams top guys and he only went from 6.5-7mil. Nurse went to ludicrous salary and pretty much unearned.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
That 7 million made phaneuf the 12th highest paid defensemen in the league at the time. So the difference is there but not that glaring when we look at inflation.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
So much hate towards Edmonton in here. You have a Coyotes fan saying he’d be worth 3 million. You have a Calgary fan saying only 4 teams would be interested at 4 million. Nurse may not be worth his contract but those comments are either fueled by hatred towards Edmonton or not having a clue about Nurse as a player. It’s one thing to say he’s overpaid but to act like he’s a bottom pairing dman is ridiculous.
What a world we live in. When people come into a thread to share their opinions but it doesn't concur with what that teams fans think, then it's 'hate'.

I think there are some hyperbolic statements made by some people but just ignore the nonsense that you know is nonsense as just that. (Sometimes if people can't provide an opinion that has any value, I just go ahead and put them on ignore) I don't think it's hatred of the Oilers or of the player though.

The reality of the situation is that Nurse is a middle pairing guy who should probably be on a $5M-$6M per year contract. Now it's easy to say that if he was properly slotted on the 2nd pair, he'd make a lot less costly errors/miscues - maybe/maybe not - until he's in that kind of situation, it's impossible to know for sure.

No GM in the league - even the very worst ones - are going to give up anything of significance to acquire a player like Nurse even with $2m retention just so he can be an overpaid middle pairing guy? (How many middle pairing D-Men are there in the NHL making $7M+ per year?? There are only 25 D-Men in the league that make $7M or more)

So you can choose to say this post is full of 'hatred' because I don't see things the same way as you but I'm just calling it like I see it. I'm pretty sure that fans of the rest of the league agree with this post even though Oilers fans will likely disagree.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
When you say a top 4 defenseman it's a bit misleading. When you say a 3/4 making 9.25 it's a bit more accurate. Nurse is the weaker partner on a second pair. He does have some intangibles like toughness that increase that value a bit. He'd currently be a bottom pair guy in Calgary for instance.
It's not misleading at all. He's a top 4 defenseman making too much money. But he's still a clear cut top 4 defenseman and every metric proves it. You even said it yourself.

He's just fine as a number 2 or 3 guy with a good partner, the only legitimate knock is his contract, and he doesnt have a good partner. If he was making even a couple million less the chatter around him wouldn't be nearly as bad.

Regardless of the semantics, how does it make any sense for Edmonton to trade him for Huberdeau? How does that help them at all improve their defense or cap situation, and if he's a number 6 defenseman for Calgary, why would they want to acquire a number 6 defenseman making 9.25 million? Why would either team even consider it?

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
What a world we live in. When people come into a thread to share their opinions but it doesn't concur with what that teams fans think, then it's 'hate'.

I think there are some hyperbolic statements made by some people but just ignore the nonsense that you know is nonsense as just that. (Sometimes if people can't provide an opinion that has any value, I just go ahead and put them on ignore) I don't think it's hatred of the Oilers or of the player though.

The reality of the situation is that Nurse is a middle pairing guy who should probably be on a $5M-$6M per year contract. Now it's easy to say that if he was properly slotted on the 2nd pair, he'd make a lot less costly errors/miscues - maybe/maybe not - until he's in that kind of situation, it's impossible to know for sure.

No GM in the league - even the very worst ones - are going to give up anything of significance to acquire a player like Nurse even with $2m retention just so he can be an overpaid middle pairing guy? (How many middle pairing D-Men are there in the NHL making $7M+ per year?? There are only 25 D-Men in the league that make $7M or more)

So you can choose to say this post is full of 'hatred' because I don't see things the same way as you but I'm just calling it like I see it. I'm pretty sure that fans of the rest of the league agree with this post even though Oilers fans will likely disagree.
I’m not an Oilers fan, Smart Guy. But thanks for attempting to make my statement into something it’s not. I’m a Ducks fan who has no dog in this fight. I also never said he would get offers with 2 mill retained. I actually said nothing of the kind in my post that you quoted. People saying he’s worth 3 or 4 million are out to lunch, which was my point…as a non-Oiler fan. Next time, I’ll be happy to have a discussion if you don’t attempt to change my post into something entirely different than it is. Have a good day.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I think Nurse is a great second pairing guy, but Edmonton would need to eat 20% of his deal to move him most likely

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I’m not an Oilers fan, Smart Guy. But thanks for attempting to make my statement into something it’s not. I’m a Ducks fan who has no dog in this fight. I also never said he would get offers with 2 mill retained. I actually said nothing of the kind in my post that you quoted. People saying he’s worth 3 or 4 million are out to lunch, which was my point…as a non-Oiler fan. Next time, I’ll be happy to have a discussion if you don’t attempt to change my post into something entirely different than it is. Have a good day.

Where is Nurse appropriately paid? Where you'd be happy to have him on your club long term. If we're of the belief he's ideally a middle pairing guy, even a #3... then is that figure $5.5MM/year?

If so, then the Oilers need to retain $3.75MM just to make Nurse an appropriate contract. What would I give up to have Nurse on my team making $5.5MM/per? ... Not much. If there was cap space and there isn't... a 2nd rounder? Why would the Oilers do this (they wouldn't)? Why would any team offer more in trade?

So what's obvious to me is that Nurse is going to play out this deal in Edmonton.

Reactions: Bender

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Where is Nurse appropriately paid? Where you'd be happy to have him on your club long term. If we're of the belief he's ideally a middle pairing guy, even a #3... then is that figure $5.5MM/year?

If so, then the Oilers need to retain $3.75MM just to make Nurse an appropriate contract. What would I give up to have Nurse on my team making $5.5MM/per? ... Not much. If there was cap space and there isn't... a 2nd rounder? Why would the Oilers do this (they wouldn't)? Why would any team offer more in trade?

So what's obvious to me is that Nurse is going to play out this deal in Edmonton.
Given the minutes he plays and his abilities, if a team can put him with a solid #1 or on their second pairing, he could shine in that role. I see him as a 2/3 who’s playing over his head. It’s similar to Fowler on the Ducks. (completely different types of players) But if given the right partners and put in a role to support their strengths, both could be better than they currently are. They’re both playing above their means out of necessity. Thankfully, for my Ducks, 6.5 mill is just fine for Fowler.

As a free agent, I’d wager that Nurse would easily get 6.5. Look at what free agents get paid. As for a trade, that’s entirely different since teams are strapped with their cap.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
When you say a top 4 defenseman it's a bit misleading. When you say a 3/4 making 9.25 it's a bit more accurate. Nurse is the weaker partner on a second pair. He does have some intangibles like toughness that increase that value a bit. He'd currently be a bottom pair guy in Calgary for instance.
imagine saying Nurse would be a #6 d-man on the Flames.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The contract is pretty much immovable without significant retention. Edmontons best option is to try to find a stay at home D who can cover for Nurse and let him play to his strengths as a physical D who can play big minutes and provide 5 on 5 offense. His defensive miscues would be less impactful if he had a solid partner. Bouchard is not the guy to pair him with.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
i think a lot of the oilers problems with nurse would be mitigated if they just shifted ekholm to the right side and paired him with nurse. cody ceci is a fine 4/5 defenseman but he is not the right partner for the nurse and for essentially top pairing minutes. and good luck finding a top pairing defensive RHD, unless they pony up for pesce (but how?)

find a left side d to play second pairing minutes with bouchard, run a kulak-ceci bottom pair.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Truth is: no one wants Nurse at that ridiculous salary. But, on the other hand, he is Edmonton's best D-man...at lest until Ek recovers completely from his nagging injury. Oilers are stuck with him.
He isn't going anywhere.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not sure why everyone is beating up on Nurse. Is he overpaid? Yes, by 2.5M. Is he a good player? Yes, he's a #3 dman.

Should Nurse anchor a top-pairing. Of course not. Could he be a solid #2 on a pairing that has a #1 D? Nurse would be in his element if he had a #1 D to play alongside.

Putting Nurse and Ceci together and expecting them to succeed is a fools errand. Ceci should be a bottom pairing dman at this point in his career.

The issue with the Oilers starts with Campbell. His caphit could have been put to better use.
This is the best post of your entire life.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Given the minutes he plays and his abilities, if a team can put him with a solid #1 or on their second pairing, he could shine in that role. I see him as a 2/3 who’s playing over his head. It’s similar to Fowler on the Ducks. (completely different types of players) But if given the right partners and put in a role to support their strengths, both could be better than they currently are. They’re both playing above their means out of necessity. Thankfully, for my Ducks, 6.5 mill is just fine for Fowler.

As a free agent, I’d wager that Nurse would easily get 6.5. Look at what free agents get paid. As for a trade, that’s entirely different since teams are strapped with their cap.
So you're saying he's 30% overpaid or the Oilers would need to retain 30% to make him appropriately paid at $6.5MM. I won't argue this AAV though I'm sure GMs would.

So in order to get this player at this appropriate AAV, the Oilers need to retain at least $2.75MM thru the next 7+ seasons. That's like $20MM of cap space over the course of the contract. And I'd give up like a 3rd round pick for Nurse at $6.5MM.

This dude ain't getting traded and trying to find his trade value is a fools errand.

Edmonton is going to have to figure out ways to win with Nurse and Campbell on their cap for the next many years. And then pay Drai around $15,000,000/year given the huge discount he's played under.

This is pretty much their last shot to win anything because the wheels are going to come off this bus soon.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Not sure why everyone is beating up on Nurse. Is he overpaid? Yes, by 2.5M. Is he a good player? Yes, he's a #3 dman.

Should Nurse anchor a top-pairing. Of course not. Could he be a solid #2 on a pairing that has a #1 D? Nurse would be in his element if he had a #1 D to play alongside.

Putting Nurse and Ceci together and expecting them to succeed is a fools errand. Ceci should be a bottom pairing dman at this point in his career.

The issue with the Oilers starts with Campbell. His caphit could have been put to better use.

So you'd want your Montreal Canadiens to sign Darnell Nurse to a 7x7 right now and you think it would be well recieved by your fans and neutral fans?

Cap

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
So you're saying he's 30% overpaid or the Oilers would need to retain 30% to make him appropriately paid at $6.5MM. I won't argue this AAV though I'm sure GMs would.

So in order to get this player at this appropriate AAV, the Oilers need to retain at least $2.75MM thru the next 7+ seasons. That's like $20MM of cap space over the course of the contract. And I'd give up like a 3rd round pick for Nurse at $6.5MM.

This dude ain't getting traded and trying to find his trade value is a fools errand.

Edmonton is going to have to figure out ways to win with Nurse and Campbell on their cap for the next many years. And then pay Drai around $15,000,000/year given the huge discount he's played under.

This is pretty much their last shot to win anything because the wheels are going to come off this bus soon.
I’d keep him if I’m Edmonton. I’m not a fan of retaining on a player unless it’s to buy picks as a non contender. They just need to try and find an appropriate partner for him.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
imagine saying Nurse would be a #6 d-man on the Flames.
He would be. Which of Andersson, Hanifin, Weegar, Tanev or Kylington is he better than? I don't think even the most blue and orange colored glasses would say he's better than any of them. Even Zadorov has been better the last year and 6 games.

• Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
He would be. Which of Andersson, Hanifin, Weegar, Tanev or Kylington is he better than? I don't think even the most blue and orange colored glasses would say he's better than any of them. Even Zadorov has been better the last year and 6 games.
Well, he’s absolutely better than Kylington

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I was responding to you using the word 'hate' like a disgruntled millenial and then I addressed different topics that had been suggested in the thread by various people. I responded to that part first then addressed other opinions and I never suggested you said anything else. If anyone had been reading the thread and not separate individual messages, they would know that but way to make it all about you.

Since you're so sensitive, I can just put you on ignore right now... Wouldn't want to ruffle your feathers again in a future response.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I’d keep him if I’m Edmonton. I’m not a fan of retaining on a player unless it’s to buy picks as a non contender. They just need to try and find an appropriate partner for him.

I don't think they have a choice in the matter, to be honest. They're stuck wtih him.

And all of this "he'd be better if he played with a #1" talk......he IS their #1, or at least he's paid to be one, but clearly that was a misstep by the Oilers brass.

By season's end it'll be interesting to see where he slots in, league wide, and if the Oilers' fanbase are finally done with him.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
The thing is...how much can you actually afford to pay a guy who needs a #1D as a babysitter? An awful lot less than $9.5M. Probably even more than $2.5M less if you want a competitive blueline.

This is a great point. Shreds the he's only "2.5-2.75" overpaid narrative.

Rangers have Adam Fox making 9.5 and Ryan Lindgren making 3M on their top pair. Lindgren definitely is underpaid a tad compared to market value, sure.

But I'd value Nurse much closer to Lindgren's than Fox. He's definitely a better but not by a ton. The most I'd be comfortable for Nurse for the Ranger to acquire would be around 5M.

Last edited:
Reactions: biturbo19

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I would take him at 6.5M caphit. But not on Habs. No room

No room in terms of what, cap? There's only 3 teams that could absorb Nurse even at your discounted 6.5M cap hit right now without shedding cap. So prerty much any team would have to 'make' room for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad