Player Discussion: Dmitri Voronkov

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
And that was a 6'4 220 lb player in Forbort that Dmitri brushed aside.

The hit on McAvoy was beautiful too, Mac is built like a truck so that was some serious force. The Bruins couldn't do anything in the scrum afterwards.
Wasn’t sure if it was just him or not, because he sticks out so much, but when breaking out he would go to the opposing blue line - causing the Bruins D to play deeper in the neutral zone. Gave our other forwards a little more space to break out with speed.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Looking back at this. I am really disappointed on how the CBJ seems to be handling this. We probably have the most Russians on one team in the entire league and Marchenko is being the translator for him while his English is still a rough. Granted the others speak English pretty well but there are 5 guys on this team who can speak Russian including Elvis. They could get a dedicated translator for him that could probably also help him learn.
I've seen a previous post-game scrum in which there was a tranlator there but Marchenko basically took over the role. I think it's more that Marchenko is an outgoing guy who likes to have fun with it and is friends with Voronkov - so the team-appointed translator gets pushed to the side during the interviews.

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Too bad you don't understand Russian, some Marchenko's translations into Russian were very funny. :D

Reactions: BanTYZ

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I think it's pretty common for players to stay in a hotel for short periods if they don't have a permanent residence but that is obvious a short term solution. I think his play has made it pretty clear he should get a place at this point but I'm surprised they hadn't arranged it yet. This is also the same team that apparently told Jiricek to get a place and then sent him to Cleveland a day later even if it was only for 1 day.
This is fairly common that players who are between AHL and NHL right have to get hotel rooms or room with players as they could only be up for a few days. Right now I am pretty sure Vornokov is pretty much "set" on this team and a permanent addition so this isn't an issue now but I can see how that level of uncertainty would play into his extreme unhappiness (and FO needs to be smacked for leading the kid on because its obvious he was gonna be a keeper even during this losing streak)

That being said I live in a condo complex and two of the housing units in my that shares my walls are owned by an airline company that bases out of Columbus and they are "crash pads" where its just an open housing unit that pilots can use to get rest. I am honestly kinda shocked that Hockey teams don't have 2 or so units in Columbus and a few more in Cleveland to help these young players who are going up and down I-71. Unless its apartments housing pretty much never devaluates and I am sure about $500k would cover condo 2-3 units.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
That being said I live in a condo complex and two of the housing units in my that shares my walls are owned by an airline company that bases out of Columbus and they are "crash pads" where its just an open housing unit that pilots can use to get rest. I am honestly kinda shocked that Hockey teams don't have 2 or so units in Columbus and a few more in Cleveland to help these young players who are going up and down I-71.

Back in the day my company worked with a consulting company which bought a couple of downtown Columbus condos. Their employees could crash there and leave clothes and other stuff there and fly back and forth between their homes and Columbus and not carry that much luggage. Plus they were a pretty good investment.

I had just assumed the Jackets had a couple of places in Cleveland and Columbus near the arenas for the kids. It makes too much sense not to.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Voronkov has quickly become one of the most effective players on the ice for this team.

Plays with Fantilli and Marchy, Fantilli and Marchy have more space and are effective.

Plays with Cole and Chinny and they both have their best games of the year.

He's too damn big to move out of the way and you can't intimidate him, he's almost 250 pounds and just bulldozes everyone.

They better do everything they can to make sure he stays because he makes everyone better.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I wonder if a person who has believed in their government and media their entire lives moves to a country where that truth is questioned on an hourly basis can make them dislike that new country so much they want to leave, even if it harms them financially and professionally.

Wow, just wow.:facepalm:

I think the hotel thing is a key element.

The larger issue appears to be a lack of an enculturation process.

It sounds like he's sitting in a hotel room by himself, alienated, with his only resources being the other Russian dudes (who may or may not have their own lives to live).

Getting Voronkov a place of his own is step 1 in getting him up and out, and more engaged off the ice; but it's not gonna solve the problem by itself.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
This is fairly common that players who are between AHL and NHL right have to get hotel rooms or room with players as they could only be up for a few days. Right now I am pretty sure Vornokov is pretty much "set" on this team and a permanent addition so this isn't an issue now but I can see how that level of uncertainty would play into his extreme unhappiness (and FO needs to be smacked for leading the kid on because its obvious he was gonna be a keeper even during this losing streak)

That being said I live in a condo complex and two of the housing units in my that shares my walls are owned by an airline company that bases out of Columbus and they are "crash pads" where its just an open housing unit that pilots can use to get rest. I am honestly kinda shocked that Hockey teams don't have 2 or so units in Columbus and a few more in Cleveland to help these young players who are going up and down I-71. Unless its apartments housing pretty much never devaluates and I am sure about $500k would cover condo 2-3 units.
It's certainly somthing that could get addressed if they felt a need. I know minor league baseball recently unionized and as part of that agreement, teams must provide housing for players during the season. That is either apartments, condos or houses depending on the location.

The weird thing about that is that the housing is only for players on the active roster and if you go on the injured list they will move you into a hotel. I find that odd since I think a hotel would cost more than an apartment over time. I'm not sure if this is true across all levels and organizations but it is what happened in one specific situation I know about.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I'm conflicted by this convo (Voronkov & Chinny now, young player support generally)..

On the one hand, as someone who wants the Jackets to succeed, it sure seems like a no-brainer to hook up the young guys with housing when they first come over or make it to the NHL.

On the other hand, these guys are adults getting paid an ass-load of money to play a game. If you don't like the hotel, do something about it. Figure it out ya big babies.

And on my third alien hand... this is actually probably just a huge nothing-burger driven by agents, distant friends & media looking for attention.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I'm conflicted by this convo (Voronkov & Chinny now, young player support generally)..

On the one hand, as someone who wants the Jackets to succeed, it sure seems like a no-brainer to hook up the young guys with housing when they first come over or make it to the NHL.

On the other hand, these guys are adults getting paid an ass-load of money to play a game. If you don't like the hotel, do something about it. Figure it out ya big babies.

And on my third alien hand... this is actually probably just a huge nothing-burger driven by agents, distant friends & media looking for attention.

Practically impossible without resources. I'm sure you'd have no problem finding housing if you were dropped in the middle of Kazan, right?

Normally the NHL team, or the players' North American agent takes care of these things.

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
In regards to this. Yes. they could certainly figure it out if they had to do so.

However, if I'm coming to a new country and I don't know if I'm living in Columbus, Cleveland, or maybe even my home country in 3 months, why would I commit to a lease anywhere until I figured it out?

Reactions: Indy18

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Practically impossible without resources. I'm sure you'd have no problem finding housing if you were dropped in the middle of Kazan, right?

Normally the NHL team, or the players' North American agent takes care of these things.

Am I dropped into Kazan with 4 other Americans who are already there and speak the language, along with lots of money? Then yes, I'd have no problem. But I also acknowledge everyone is different.

I also said there are multiple sides to this, no need to be up in arms. I think the 3rd point I made in my post is most likely & accurate.

In regards to this. Yes. they could certainly figure it out if they had to do so.

However, if I'm coming to a new country and I don't know if I'm living in Columbus, Cleveland, or maybe even my home country in 3 months, why would I commit to a lease anywhere until I figured it out?

If you Googled "short term lease Columbus" in Russian you'd probably find what you need. You certainly would if you did it in English. And if you needed a little help with that, ask someone.

But again, you glossed over this part of my post it feels like: "it sure seems like a no-brainer to hook up the young guys with housing when they first come over or make it to the NHL."

Hence my inner conflict here.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Am I dropped into Kazan with 4 other Americans who are already there and speak the language, along with lots of money? Then yes, I'd have no problem. But I also acknowledge everyone is different.

I also said there are multiple sides to this, no need to be up in arms. I think the 3rd point I made in my post is most likely & accurate.

If you Googled "short term lease Columbus" in Russian you'd probably find what you need. You certainly would if you did it in English. And if you needed a little help with that, ask someone.

But again, you glossed over this part of my post it feels like: "it sure seems like a no-brainer to hook up the young guys with housing when they first come over or make it to the NHL."

Also his agent bares some responsibility here to help arrange things. A good agent does much more for a client than handle contract negotiations.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Lots of money does you no good if you don't know how to engage the culture. We've had this conversation before with regard to the organization being more active in helping young players and new players acclimate but maybe that was not addressed strongly enough?

EDIT: Agree with IBM above regarding the agent bearing some responsibility as well.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

That's assuming those other Americans in Kazan know anything beyond rudimentary Russian, know how to obtain housing themselves, and care to assist you.

From interviews it's obvious that Marchenko and Chinakhov are still exceedingly inexperienced to North America. And Provorov is a notorious standoffish jerk. That the Jackets need to ask Tyutin for extra assistance says a lot.

Like stated above, player agents normally facilitate things like housing. Not sure why Voronkov's didn't.

Reactions: majormajor

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Voronkov was drafted by Columbus in 2019. I am guessing he had a good idea in a few years he may end up here. He had time to learn some basic english, or at least hockey terms that would be useful when he came over. It isn't like he just woke up and here he is in Columbus.

If I knew in a few years I was going to end up living in a foriegn speking country, I would at least learn the basics of the language.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Voronkov was drafted by Columbus in 2019. I am guessing he had a good idea in a few years he may end up here. He had time to learn some basic english, or at least hockey terms that would be useful when he came over. It isn't like he just woke up and here he is in Columbus.

If I knew in a few years I was going to end up living in a foriegn speking country, I would at least learn the basics of the language.
You would think. I don't think being an NHL star was a priority for him. He probably had to be talked into coming over to NA.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
That's assuming those other Americans in Kazan know anything beyond rudimentary Russian, know how to obtain housing themselves, and care to assist you.

From interviews it's obvious that Marchenko and Chinakhov are still exceedingly inexperienced to North America. And Provorov is a notorious standoffish jerk. That the Jackets need to ask Tyutin for extra assistance says a lot.

Like stated above, player agents normally facilitate things like housing. Not sure why Voronkov's didn't.

I don't take all these talks about returning home seriously. But Toots mentoring these youngsters not a bad idea, Sarah his wife can help too (break the fear of the language barrier :huh: although Americans are very liberal in this regard)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad