Podcast (Audio) Do the Rangers need Eichel?

Khall9

Apr 28, 2021
Do the Rangers need Eichel? I go back and forth every time I hear the conversation. Is he worth the heavy price the Rangers will probably pay? Gord Stellick said on my podcast this week if he was the GM he would go all out for him which hearing that from a well connected hockey insider made me think maybe his injury isn't something to be too worried about. What does everyone think?

This is his quote from the show

Reactions: Gardner McKay

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Respectfully, this is why people like Stellick are commentators and not GM's. I like Gord a lot, but he couldn't be more wrong here. Going all out for a very talented, very injured, malcontent is Rangers of 97-04 move. An era that many of us are still trying to erase from our memories.
Gord was literally a GM tho

Reactions: Khall9

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
If the price tag came down to say Robertson Barron 1st round and second round pick so not the top young guys do you do it?

Yes I’d do it.

But to answer the thread question No they don’t need him. Can always keep Zib and acquire someone for less

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
If the price tag came down to say Robertson Barron 1st round and second round pick so not the top young guys do you do it?
I'd do it for a higher/fairer price than that, but it relies on so much juggling with the salary cap, so much knowledge about what the alternative options are that we don't have as fans, knowledge about his injury that we don't have that it's IMO impossible to be unconditionally gung-ho about it. But I'm sure I'm still in like the 75% percentile of wanting to make the move on HFNYR.

Matt Rentfree

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.

Yes, but I doubt the price is ever THAT low. The reality is that we'll for sure have to send at least one of Lundqvist/Schneider/Kravtsov the other way and I'd really like to see all three of them on NHL ice before trading any of them (Yes, I'm aware Kravtsov has played a few games but I want a bigger sample size before he's potentially moved in a trade).

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
The injury makes it even more not worth the acquisition cost plus Cap implications.
A team w Bread, Trouba, Kreider salaries, plus need to re-sign Buch, Fox, Zib, Shesty and more over next 2 summers, is not the landing spot for a $10M player in the Flat Cap era.

Rather find another guy like when acquiring Zib, proven but not a star, age ~23, Cap Hit well under $3M

Last edited:

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
CAP!!!

and do we really need another thread about damaged (possibly heavily) goods?

The Roster thread already has all we could possibly discuss about this guy.

Reactions: bernmeister

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Of course. I'd want Drury fired if he didn't. That is too low to refuse... obviously pending a medical eval.

I'd even be fine with a bit more than that. But going all out implies caving to Buffalo's ask of some combination of Kakko, Laf, Lundkvist, Kravtsov, 1st.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
He's very, very good but I'm sorry, Eichel is not a "drop everything and figure it out later" player.

Panarin is and that's why we got him at the start of a rebuild.

Now, we're trying to figure it out with Panarin.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
How do you test Eichel’s herniated neck?

- have him stand near the boards and smash him into them?
- have surgery and wait for 3-6 months for nerve regeneration followed by exploring his full range of motion?

Otherwise, what do you?

Last edited:

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Of course. This offer would be like paying with change from our couch cushion. It won’t be that small.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Do the Rangers need a Top 15, arguable Top 10, player in the league?

tenor.gif

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
I think Zib is the way to move forward for now. Sometimes it's easy to forget how elite he has been the last three seasons:

195 games, 199 points.

And let's not forget he had covid issues last season.

Eichel past 3 seasons:

168 games, 178 points.

I know Eichel is younger but isn't experience what we need atm?

And yes, injuries do matter. A player scores no points if he's not playing. There is a huge difference if a 5m cap hit player is injured vs. 10m cap hit player.

I'd rather be looking into upgrading our 2C.

Reactions: CLW

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No, not at the likely cost, both in terms of what we'd have to send out and in terms of the cap space required. And with his neck being a question mark? It's a pass for me. They have to be offering him for pennies on the dollar with salary retained, which is obviously not something that will happen.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Do the Rangers need a Top 15, arguable Top 10, player in the league?

Maybe not, in flat Cap era, when they already have one.

Especially this guy, with a complicating health condition, carrying unknown short and long term implications.

In summer '19, before Eichel's injury, and Bread signs w NYR, the calculus mighta been different

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad