Podcast (Audio) Do the Rangers need Eichel?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Respectfully, this is why people like Stellick are commentators and not GM's. I like Gord a lot, but he couldn't be more wrong here. Going all out for a very talented, very injured, malcontent is a Rangers of 97-04 move. An era that many of us are still trying to erase from our memories.

I am for acquiring anyone if the deal makes sense.

What makes Eichel a malcobtent?

Picking up a young near-superstar is not a Rangers move 0f 97-04.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The person talking about themselves in the 3rd person is asking if he is crazy.

accurate as to third person, it is called artistic license

as to ask, while shaped using interrogatory I concede, it is obviously more of an assertion than a question.

A direct ? would be
"is _______ crazy"

that is not what was said

reaktorblue

Jul 16, 2007
Unless Eichel is healthy and past this "malcontent" we're talking about - which is, he wants a surgical procedure that no NHL exec is comfortable with since it hasn't been performed before, he is going to be unhappy in New York too

So, unless he gets that treatment or unless the rehab fixes that issue, paying a king's ransom for him is a risk not worth taking. He's very talented but the asking price is too great for the current status of that player, just my opinion

If he's healthy and good to go, it's a very attractive acquisition

Reactions: DekeR

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Do we need eichel? To win a championship?

No. But it makes it easier to win, especially if u can keep him and Mika.

How? I'm not sure. That's why Drury gets paid the big bucks.

If the rangers can bring in eichel while only losing some combo of strome and prospects I can see them winning a cup...in the next 2 years.

I also believe eichel is a top 5 to top 10 center in the game today.

Reactions: mas0764

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The injury makes it even more not worth the acquisition cost plus Cap implications.
A team w Bread, Trouba, Kreider salaries, plus need to re-sign Buch, Fox, Zib, Shesty and more over next 2 summers, is not the landing spot for a $10M player in the Flat Cap era.

Rather find another guy like when acquiring Zib, proven but not a star, age ~23, Cap Hit well under $3M

I mean I agree, but they're not signing Buchnevich if they trade for Eichel

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

If the rangers can bring in eichel while only losing some combo of strome and prospects I can see them winning a cup...in the next 2 years.

If Drury can get JE and keep Zibanejad then he's a wizard

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I absolutely agree with you. But I will guarantee you that if we trade for Eichel, it will hurt far more than Strome and prospects. Hence why I am so vehemently against trading for him. When we see Laf + Lundkvist +++ go out the door, we won't be happy.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'm in the same boat in the sense that I think we'd be fine with a capable first line center, but not necessarily an elite one.

A big part of what we need to find it the right combinations that compliment each other.

Vegas was likely a top center away from being in the cup final though. Their centers seemed fine all year it was a glaring issue vs mtl. I'm not in on Eichel but i think we should be looking for a young center that can be a bona-fide first line center for when or if Zib, Strome are not here anymore. I keep mentioning Hayton but i believe thats the type of guy I'd target, good player, chemistry with Lafreniere, low cap hit for 5 years.

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
To pay such a high price for a very good center who has a serious injury(which we have no idea how long that monster can stay hidden in a very competitive and physically demanding sport) would be shooting yourself in the foot after working hard for the past 4 years in accumulating prospects, only to forfeit them on a wing and a prayer. My choice would be to acquire a 2nd line center that can consistently give you good numbers on both blue lines and keep the cap numbers more tasteful. Zib is an excellent 1st line center.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Yeah I don’t know why you would willingly reap what you have sown to take a risk on Eichel.

If he wasn’t injured, putting up consistent 1A numbers and you had a chance to get him in a fair trade, so be it.

But with his cap hit, injury issues, any character flaws that may exist and the fact that you’ll have to turn over your team to bring him in - it’s just not worth all of that disruption.

And financially there are too many promising youngsters (including one who just won the frickin Norris trophy) who need to be paid going forward to shoehorn Eichels salary into the fray just to say you have a “true 1A elite level center”.

Unless something miraculous happens and they basically give Eichel away (which isn’t happening) I will be very upset if they make a deal for him

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Kurt Angle has won a few things in his career. Eichel, not so much.
Oh it's true. It's damn true. I was solely referencing the broken freaking neck Kurt Angle quote btw with my last post. I wasn't using that as an indirect way to say eichels neck is fine and he'll recover just perfectly.

Frankly, I'm not all that gung ho about eichel

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Add what you like to the forwards yet the i think the Rangers need Miller and Schneider to mature quickly before taking that big step as a team.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
If you don't go and get Eichel, you cannot get rid of Zibanejad. Took us 20+ years to find a 1C. If you don't want to go long term on Z, you have to get Eichel. Larkin isn't good enough. Barkov would be sweet but thats highly unlikely.

Trade for Lundell, Newhook, Krebs types, then.

Trade up to get Svechkov too.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Yeah I wanna be clear here...I'm no even remotely interested in paying the price buffalo wants to get eichel.

I want to pay the malcontent injured price.

Nash deal as a template:

Strome, Buch, Jones, 15OA.

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
Yeah I wanna be clear here...I'm no even remotely interested in paying the price buffalo wants to get eichel.

I want to pay the malcontent injured price.

This is pretty much it right now. If you can get a guy like him, 5 years / 50M to be a true 1A center for your cap space, and a couple of the pieces noted here...that's beautiful for us. But given the injury risk and contracts we have coming, there is probably a smarter decision. I'm a pretty big Eichel fan...but there's alot to unwrap there. Buffalo would be selling really low vs. waiting him out / fixing his neck and then maybe getting close to what it wants.

This could be a 2022 trade if Zbad regresses, we don't want to pay kind of thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad