News: Dorion says Talbot won't return next season

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No you said your shocked they’re returning,

I’m utterly shocked Dorion (and DJ) are returning next season.

and I told you no one knows if they’re returning,
Sens won’t know until new owners arrive and make that decision.
Enjoy your name calling though,
Sorry for coming across rather hostile.

I'm very shocked they're returning, but you're right, we won't know until the sale. I expect they won't be.

I would be shocked to death if they survive the new owners, unless the sale isn't completed until sometime after the start of the season.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It was just one of many threads where Sens fans tried to sell me on Talbot and I pointed out that Minny was really insulating him. For the record, I don't think PD traded the next Rask, I just think Minnesota makes goalies look great.

That must be a different thread, because the one you linked isn't that.

Minnesota was a good landing spot for Gustavsson, much better environment for him to make that step as a full time NHL goaltender. Gustavsson is a talented goaltender, always believed in his ability but going into the season and expecting Gustavsson to provide stability would have been the bigger gamble than Talbot. That's more or less what I'm referring to when I say hindsight. I can only speak for myself but I don't even recall many Sens fans expecting Talbot to come in and be the outright starter over Forsberg, just challenge him for starts.

The Rask/Raycroft stuff is just nonsense, and isn't analogous by any means.

• Haha
Reactions: dirtydanglez

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
That must be a different thread, because the one you linked isn't that.

Minnesota was a good landing spot for Gustavsson, much better environment for him to make that step as a full time NHL goaltender. Gustavsson is a talented goaltender, always believed in his ability but going into the season and expecting Gustavsson to provide stability would have been the bigger gamble than Talbot. That's more or less what I'm referring to when I say hindsight. I can only speak for myself but I don't even recall many Sens fans expecting Talbot to come in and be the outright starter over Forsberg, just challenge him for starts.

Here's another post to proves that no everyone needed hindsight to know Talbot was going to be bad:

I guess it just stood out how negative everyone was about Murray but how positive they were about Talbot in these pre season threads. I just didn't get it, both seemed like big gambles and both failed. I didn't mind Murray when he was healthy but I don't trust him anymore. Twice he's been injured during warmups.

Reactions: 1specter

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
man I didn't pay much attention to Ottawa's season and am just now seeing that they started 7 goalies this year. I'd be interested to see how Senators fans rank their performances and (for the young guns) their long-term projection with the team.

Reactions: Prominence

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Here's another post to proves that no everyone needed hindsight to know Talbot was going to be bad:

I guess it just stood out how negative everyone was about Murray but how positive they were about Talbot in these pre season threads. I just didn't get it, both seemed like big gambles and both failed. I didn't mind Murray when he was healthy but I don't trust him anymore. Twice he's been injured during warmups.
Kinda like Sens fans said, wasn’t bad when healthy, but no one listened.

In that link you posted , I see you also said this,

I bookmarked this, I'll bump it either way. We will see if Stutzle can replicate the goal creation Pat Kane produced.

Yep Suützle was great for his 20/21 year old season.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Why does that team have a hard time finding a #1 goalie. They had Bishop, Lehner, Gustavsson and let them all go for essentially nothing. All 3 became #1 for their teams.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
It was just one of many threads where Sens fans tried to sell me on Talbot and I pointed out that Minny was really insulating him. For the record, I don't think PD traded the next Rask, I just think Minnesota makes goalies look great.

Talbot had the worst minor injury luck of his career and never got to build a rhythm. Simulate the season 100x with Talbot and 100x with Goose and I doubt there's a significant difference

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Love it when other fan bases rip on Sens fans like we made that trade. If we were calling the shots, I promise we never would have made half the moves Dorion has.

We are already past this. We are getting ready to lose out on the Debrincat trade next. Twice. Once when we have to trade him because he didnt want to sign with Ottawa and again when Kevin Korchinski wins the Norris with Chicago.

Try and keep up.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Coaches are very, very rarely the difference between success and failure.

DJ Smith is one of these difference-makers.

The Talbot trade was a good gamble.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Talbot just isn't a good starting goalie. I hated his last year in Edmonton he was a mental midget that was among the leaders if not the leader on first shot goals that season.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Coaches are very, very rarely the difference between success and failure.

DJ Smith is one of these difference-makers.

The Talbot trade was a good gamble.
What on earth were your expectations of the Sens that you think DJ was the cause of their failure? Absurd comment

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I liked it at the time. Talbot was brought in to tandem with Forsberg and I liked that it appeared he was steadily hovering around .910.

It really didn't work, obviously.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Kinda like Sens fans said, wasn’t bad when healthy, but no one listened.

In that link you posted , I see you also said this,

I bookmarked this, I'll bump it either way. We will see if Stutzle can replicate the goal creation Pat Kane produced.

Yep Suützle was great for his 20/21 year old season.
Don't bother. Nihilists don't believe in anything. :sarcasm:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Yikes, this is like a modern day Rask for Raycroft level violation.
The craziest thing is Bill Guerin coming in knowing the prospect Filip was and flipping a whiny Talbot for a stud of a goalie that he was already very familiar with.

Talbot just seems like a brat of a goalie. He was all pissy that Fleury and he had to share the net in Minnesota, so he goes from a good situation where he would be a 1A or 1B to being on the Sens where he starts to pout again and now he's back on the job hunt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad