Player Discussion Drew Helleson

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Never tried a fish taco, probably should wait for a visit to a coast. Here in suburban Ottawa (any Brooklyn 99 fans?) we are not known for seafood.
A good fish taco will have its own unique batter on the fried fish, its topped with red cabbage, lime with crema (mexican sour creme), often pico de gallo is added too (cilantro, tomatos, diced white onion pieces).
The california version of Poutine is carne asada fries. fries topped with tiny carne asada steak pieces, pico de gallo, cheeses, guacamole, sour cream.
The mexican poutine started in San Diego.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I like this addition a lot. This was a good move to get younger and add another early round pick. Our D pipeline is stacked with Zellweger, Lacombe, Thrun and now Helleson. One of them may be bait to go after a big fish like Chychrun
Oh yeah, I just hit me that (hopefully we sign them all :rolleyes:) we should have Thrun, LaCombe and Helleson in our org joining now. All potential 2nd pair guys but nowhere near impact players already. I hope we sign them all and, if not traded, put them to work in San Diego. Should be fun to watch.

Our D depth now lacks starpower. Dry is good, potential 1st pair material, Zellweger has still question marks (potentially dynamite offensively but not sure how good all-around in the pro level), and now seems we will have a lot of 2nd/3rd pair material (Thrun, LaCombe, Helleson, Moore, Hinds).

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
43743D12-1A0D-4FE1-A873-40BC8EF93C54.jpeg

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I sure hope he doesn't turn out to be another Guhle. From what little I've been reading about him, there seems to be quite a few similarities. I remain cautiously optimistic. Let's see what he can do in San Diego.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I sure hope he doesn't turn out to be another Guhle. From what little I've been reading about him, there seems to be quite a few similarities. I remain cautiously optimistic. Let's see what he can do in San Diego.
Guhle main issue is he is really good north/south skating but his east/west is horrible. When he gets the puck he skates in straight lines. I noticed it the moment we traded for him and knew he was gonna suck. I don't see that issue with Helleson and honestly don't even think they are similar defensemen at all. Helleson is more a Depres/Tanev type.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Kinda forgot about these college guys, Really do have some weapons who will be ready in a year or two.
I imagine the team wants to sign Thrun Lacombe and Helleson this year. Mclaughlin is interesting one.... not sure he ever becomes a NHL player... but could prob be come a solid AHL plyer

Reactions: Leonardo87

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Guhle main issue is he is really good north/south skating but his east/west is horrible. When he gets the puck he skates in straight lines. I noticed it the moment we traded for him and knew he was gonna suck. I don't see that issue with Helleson and honestly don't even think they are similar defensemen at all. Helleson is more a Depres/Tanev type.

Hope you're right.

The similarities I was speaking to are the praise about skating and size whilst not necessarily having a physical edge or being offensively dynamic. They were close in age when we acquired them (I think we got Guhle when he was 21, Helleson is 20). They're nearly the same size (Guhle 6'2, 190lbs & Helleson 6'3, 190lbs). They were both drafted at similar points (Guhle 2nd round, 51st overall & Helleson 2nd round, 47 overall).

They might wind up being wildly different types of players. These are just things I'm immediately noticing on the surface level.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Hope you're right.

The similarities I was speaking to are the praise about skating and size whilst not necessarily having a physical edge or being offensively dynamic. They were close in age when we acquired them (I think we got Guhle when he was 21, Helleson is 20). They're nearly the same size (Guhle 6'2, 190lbs & Helleson 6'3, 190lbs). They were both drafted at similar points (Guhle 2nd round, 51st overall & Helleson 2nd round, 47 overall).

They might wind up being wildly different types of players. These are just things I'm immediately noticing on the surface level.
Shit what do I know, Helleson could bust too. I am more hopeful about him than I ever was with Guhle... I am sure some of you remember how I felt about Guhle, even in the first game he played for us I could see he wasn't going to be anything special I much preferred to keep Montour but BM and Carlyle had different ideas. Hopefully Tracey can keep building on his value and become a decent piece.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
If I recall correctly, and it's been awhile, so I definitely might be wrong, but the knock on Guhle was always his hockey IQ.

Haven't read any similar complaints about Helleson. Not yet at least.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
With Guhle I remember thinking if he can't crack Buffalo's defense, how is going to crack our defense (at the time). I thought he's looked decent in his short stints up here this year, haven't seen a lick of him at the AHL level and injuries have somewhat hindered his development.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Didn't Buffalo fans warn us that Guhle was all speed and not much else? If I remember right, most of them were saying he was an AHL/#6-7 guy. They were pretty low on him at the time of the trade, very different from what Avs fans are saying about Helleson. Hopefully that's a good sign.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Didn't Buffalo fans warn us that Guhle was all speed and not much else? If I remember right, most of them were saying he was an AHL/#6-7 guy. They were pretty low on him at the time of the trade, very different from what Avs fans are saying about Helleson. Hopefully that's a good sign.

I'm not sure what Buffalo fans were saying, but I distinctly remember Murray strangely going out of his way to hype up Guhle and the pick. It was odd at the time and doesn't appear to have had any merit now.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Helleson represented Team USA at the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing and also helped guide the Americans to gold at the 2021 World Junior Championship alongside Zegras and three other Ducks prospects.
"I've known Drew for pretty much my entire youth hockey career," Zegras said of his longtime friend. "He was one of the most underrated guys in our age group. He's always been that righty defenseman that's got skill and can play the game so smart. I've been texting with and hopped on a call with him. He's definitely excited."
Helleson is expected to report to AHL San Diego and get his first taste of professional hockey down the stretch with the Gulls before competing for a full-time role in the organization next season.

Reactions: Kalv and lwvs84

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
What's the cutoff for going back down to SD? Can we send Zegras down during the Gulls playoff run to play with his buddy? Would be great if we can add Z, Thrun, LaCombe, Helleson to that roster. If Comtois is eligible, send him down too... he missed a lot of games so getting a few more wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd definitely watch that team play.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
What's the cutoff for going back down to SD? Can we send Zegras down during the Gulls playoff run to play with his buddy? Would be great if we can add Z, Thrun, LaCombe, Helleson to that roster. If Comtois is eligible, send him down too... he missed a lot of games so getting a few more wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd definitely watch that team play.
Ducks are not sending zegras to the AHL lol 0% chance of that.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
They have to be on the Gulls roster at the trade deadline. BM screwed that u one year with Gibson, if I recall correctly.

Reactions: lwvs84

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

Yeah, I know, it would just be kind of cool to see him down there playing with all the WJC gold medal winners. Guess we'll have to wait until they all make the Ducks. Only way it will happen is if Zegras asks to so he can have a chance at winning the Calder Cup. But more likely he'll take a day trip out there to hang out with his buddies.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013

I totally agree but also assuming we get all our college guys signed zegras is boys with the entire gulls team so maybe there’s a shot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad