Player Discussion Drew Helleson

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Still excited about having him, checking some stuff occasionally.

I checked some of his stats from the WJC championship team. In the playoffs he seemed to be their #3 (sometimes #4) D based on Ice time. For comparison, Thrun was #5/6 and LaCombe was definitely their #7.
In the finals, he was the one who shot the puck to the net nicely (after Z's pass) that Turcotte redirected for 1:0. In the Zegras goal Helly was on the ice, but from highlights, it seemed he had no impact, at least offensively in that play.

Again, in the Olympics, he was far behind Faber (who is younger), but it is what it is. Seems like could be a solid player, but I wouldn't expect much more than potentially a #4.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Still excited about having him, checking some stuff occasionally.

I checked some of his stats from the WJC championship team. In the playoffs he seemed to be their #3 (sometimes #4) D based on Ice time. For comparison, Thrun was #5/6 and LaCombe was definitely their #7.
In the finals, he was the one who shot the puck to the net nicely (after Z's pass) that Turcotte redirected for 1:0. In the Zegras goal Helly was on the ice, but from highlights, it seemed he had no impact, at least offensively in that play.

Again, in the Olympics, he was far behind Faber (who is younger), but it is what it is. Seems like could be a solid player, but I wouldn't expect much more than potentially a #4.
I mean if you get a top 4 dmen + 2nd for a top 4 dmen…. It’s a pretty solid value

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Will prob keep 1 or 2 of them specially if Manson and lindholm are gone (crosses fingers and shatt).

Are we too harsh on Shatty? I’d like to see some advance stats on him, but the eye test suggests he would be an addition by subtraction.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Are we too harsh on Shatty? I’d like to see some advance stats on him, but the eye test suggests he would be an addition by subtraction.

Some may be overly harsh but at best I'd call him an imperfect fit for this roster, especially since Drysdale arrived. He's best suited for third pairing offensive sheltered minutes and those should be going to to JD and whatever other young D. Shatt isn't able to babysit on any of our three pairings and therefore just shouldn't be there. He can still have value to a contending team who lacks his skillset on the bottom pairing and can balance him out with a steady defensive guy.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Some may be overly harsh but at best I'd call him an imperfect fit for this roster, especially since Drysdale arrived. He's best suited for third pairing offensive sheltered minutes and those should be going to to JD and whatever other young D. Shatt isn't able to babysit on any of our three pairings and therefore just shouldn't be there. He can still have value to a contending team who lacks his skillset on the bottom pairing and can balance him out with a steady defensive guy.

I really would like Verbeek to go after another RHD this summer to eventually replace Shatty, even if they are a little older like pushing 30 yo. Would even maybe go after a LHD for the bottom pairing, unless he thinks Benoit can take the next step. Benoit plays a very physical game which is really needed, but being paired with Shattenkrik has not been good for his development, imo. Cannot put Drysdale down there, other teams would have a field day with the young duo.

I know the forward depth is an issue as well but I think the D is a priority concern especially if he cannot re-sign Lindholm. Helleson fills one hole for the D next season but there are still other Issues.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I really would like Verbeek to go after another RHD this summer to eventually replace Shatty, even if they are a little older like pushing 30 yo. Would even maybe go after a LHD for the bottom pairing, unless he thinks Benoit can take the next step. Benoit plays a very physical game which is really needed, but being paired with Shattenkrik has not been good for his development, imo. Cannot put Drysdale down there, other teams would have a field day with the young duo.

I know the forward depth is an issue as well but I think the D is a priority concern especially if he cannot re-sign Lindholm. Helleson fills one hole for the D next season but there are still other Issues.

I'm so much more confident that we can go out and add impact forwards through free agency and trades. Quality D are more difficult to come by, it's a concern.

Fowler - _______
______ - Drysdale
_______ - Helleson/young D

In my mind we need all three blanks filled with at least a steady, reliable contributor. One to take on top minutes with Fowler, one to help carry the load with Drysdale and one to do the same for whatever kid cracks the bottom pairing on a given night. Shatt just isn't suited for any of it.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I'm so much more confident that we can go out and add impact forwards through free agency and trades. Quality D are more difficult to come by, it's a concern.

Fowler - _______
______ - Drysdale
_______ - Helleson/young D

In my mind we need all three blanks filled with at least a steady, reliable contributor. One to take on top minutes with Fowler, one to help carry the load with Drysdale and one to do the same for whatever kid cracks the bottom pairing on a given night. Shatt just isn't suited for any of it.
In my mind it's

Fowler - _______
_______ - Drysdale
Benoit - Shattenkirk
Mahura

And those Top4 fill-ins could be realy meh. But we might struck something semi-decent in FA (Lydman-like would be ideal :laugh:)

If we sign Thrun and LaCombe, I wouldn't expect them to do much damage in the NHL next year, same with Helleson. Maybe some games here and there, but they are not ready, imo.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
In my mind it's

Fowler - _______
_______ - Drysdale
Benoit - Shattenkirk
Mahura

And those Top4 fill-ins could be realy meh. But we might struck something semi-decent in FA (Lydman-like would be ideal :laugh:)

If we sign Thrun and LaCombe, I wouldn't expect them to do much damage in the NHL next year, same with Helleson. Maybe some games here and there, but they are not ready, imo.
Well if we are to believe Zegras scouting report, Helleson is ready to go haha. But honestly I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. I don't think we can safely pencil any of the young D in for next year as of now, other than Benoit who I should have included there. But I also wouldn't put it past any of the top tier guys to earn significant NHL time next year either.

Regardless, I think in an ideal world we have a steady vet partner for each of Fowler (who will have enough responsibility without having to babysit), Drysdale who still needs a fair propping up defensively, and also whichever young or depth D happen to be in the lineup whether it's Benoit, Mahura or any of the prospects. I truly don't believe Shattenkirk fits into any of those roles if we are trying to put those younger D and Cam in a position to succeed. He's closer to opposite of what I'd be seeking to fill those spots, because in each case I think we could use someone whose game bends more towards defense.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well if we are to believe Zegras scouting report, Helleson is ready to go haha. But honestly I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. I don't think we can safely pencil any of the young D in for next year as of now, other than Benoit who I should have included there. But I also wouldn't put it past any of the top tier guys to earn significant NHL time next year either.

Regardless, I think in an ideal world we have a steady vet partner for each of Fowler (who will have enough responsibility without having to babysit), Drysdale who still needs a fair propping up defensively, and also whichever young or depth D happen to be in the lineup whether it's Benoit, Mahura or any of the prospects. I truly don't believe Shattenkirk fits into any of those roles if we are trying to put those younger D and Cam in a position to succeed. He's closer to opposite of what I'd be seeking to fill those spots, because in each case I think we could use someone whose game bends more towards defense.

I think it is...

Lindholm/Chychrun - Drysdale
Fowler - Helleson
Benoit - Anyone not named Shattenkirk

LOL! In all seriousness, I think Helleson will be ready next season, let him play with the Gulls the rest of this season to marinate, has a good summer and camp, and feel confident.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think it is...

Lindholm/Chychrun - Drysdale
Fowler - Helleson
Benoit - Anyone not named Shattenkirk

LOL! In all seriousness, I think Helleson will be ready next season, let him play with the Gulls the rest of this season to marinate, has a good summer and camp, and feel confident.
From what I've seen Helleson is not nearly strong or fast enough for top4 or any significant role. And it didn't look like he can fix that in 6 months. He was not relied upon even in the Olympics vs some meh teams.

So I wouldn't count on that, but obviously Im not a professional scout

Reactions: Frosted Tips

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
From what I've seen Helleson is not nearly strong or fast enough for top4 or any significant role. And it didn't look like he can fix that in 6 months. He was not relied upon even in the Olympics vs some meh teams.

So I wouldn't count on that, but obviously Im not a professional scout

I think Verbeek saw that he is able to make the NHL next year or he wouldn't have made the trade, he knew what he wanted. We have Shattenkirk for one year, so will have one more year to develop down in SD if he needs to. But I'd like to see him make the team even if it is a bottom pairing D. Start small, unlike with Drysdale, throwing him right to the wolves.

Here is another issue, who is the other RHD? You have Drysdale, Shattenkirk, and I doubt they are keeping Sustr next season.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think Verbeek saw that he is able to make the NHL next year or he wouldn't have made the trade, he knew what he wanted. We have Shattenkirk for one year, so will have one more year to develop down in SD if he needs to. But I'd like to see him make the team even if it is a bottom pairing D. Start small, unlike with Drysdale, throwing him right to the wolves.

Here is another issue, who is the other RHD? You have Drysdale, Shattenkirk, and I doubt they are keeping Sustr next season.
We could sign or trade for someone. As I mentioned in another thread, I wouldn't mind Guddy back. But he's far from the only option.

The thing with the 3rd pair role is he could not be getting enough important ice time. Rather him playing all situations in San Diego.

Btw I don't think there is any indication Verbeek wanting him in the NHL next season. I think for all of us there is a bit of "shiny new toy" syndrome.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We could sign or trade for someone. As I mentioned in another thread, I wouldn't mind Guddy back. But he's far from the only option.

The thing with the 3rd pair role is he could not be getting enough important ice time. Rather him playing all situations in San Diego.

Btw I don't think there is any indication Verbeek wanting him in the NHL next season. I think for all of us there is a bit of "shiny new toy" syndrome.

So yeah makes me think, we should see another addition to the right side either at the TDL or this summer. Give Helleson at least another year to develop in SD, and when the Shattenkirk contract is over, see if he makes the leap to the NHL.

Next year looking at...

???? - Drysdale
Fowler - ????
???? - Shattenkirk
Mahura

Good times, lol. Connor Bedard is ours!!!

Reactions: Kalv
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
So yeah makes me think, we should see another addition to the right side either at the TDL or this summer. Give Helleson at least another year to develop in SD, and when the Shattenkirk contract is over, see if he makes the leap to the NHL.

Next year looking at...

???? - Drysdale
Fowler - ????
???? - Shattenkirk
Mahura

Good times, lol. Connor Bedard is ours!!!
I predict a round of acquisitions of veterans between now and October, some with chunky price tags, that will lead to accusations of management thinking the rebuild is already over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad