F Trevor Connelly - Tri-City Storm, USHL (2024 Draft)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
First time I've watched Team USA in this tournament and his skill is eye popping.

He's their best player and is comfortably a first rounder as of now. Question is how high he can climb. He had an excellent U17 season in the USHL, he's having an excellent Hlinka, and the expectations should be for a big upcoming season in the USHL. And I can't imagine the NTDP wouldn't add him to the U18 team for the IIHF U18 if he were to be available.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's their best player and is comfortably a first rounder as of now. Question is how high he can climb. He had an excellent U17 season in the USHL, he's having an excellent Hlinka, and the expectations should be for a big upcoming season in the USHL. And I can't imagine the NTDP wouldn't add him to the U18 team for the IIHF U18 if he were to be available.
Think you are overrating him a little. Yeah, he's flashy with the skating and puck-handling, but his puck decisions are lacking a lot and I don't think his scoring ability is so great for a player with iffy hockey sense. Definitely showed it a few times in this tournament where he just has tunnel vision (like Musty last year), and puts his head down and loses the puck. At the USHL level, which is honestly a higher level than the Hlinka, he struggled with this even more.

For me, he's more of a second rounder.

Had a good tournament though. I think it helped his stock. Playing well in these international tournaments can only help.

Reactions: Trojans86

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Think you are overrating him a little. Yeah, he's flashy with the skating and puck-handling, but his puck decisions are lacking a lot and I don't think his scoring ability is so great for a player with iffy hockey sense. Definitely showed it a few times in this tournament where he just has tunnel vision (like Musty last year), and puts his head down and loses the puck. At the USHL level, which is honestly a higher level than the Hlinka, he struggled with this even more.

For me, he's more of a second rounder.

Had a good tournament though. I think it helped his stock. Playing well in these international tournaments can only help.

I think you're overrating the quality of a lot of the first round draft picks. There is a long way to go to the draft, so a lot can happen (good or bad) to his draft stock, but a prospect (who's not a top one for the draft) having warts in their game does mean it's an overrated idea that he's a first round guy as of now.

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Hopefully this article gives more (and true) insights on the situation with Connelly and the incident in his past. Just me, it sounds like a kid (unfortunately like many kids his age/generation) didn't truly understand the significance of the symbol he took a photo off. And unlike someone like a Mitchell Miller (who still seems like an unapologetic "bad seed"), this was a one time, split second thing ( yes a very ill attempt at being funny..) - and he has done everything to prove/show how sorry he is about the whole thing. And he realizes he has to prove it everyday, and some will still pile on - as was the case with another accusation that was proven false.

He was recruited by all the top schools, and picking Providence, that school and coach (Nate Leaman) doesn't suffer fools - I'm sure they did research on it and believe in what Connelly is doing now. I think NHL teams will do the same.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Hopefully this article gives more (and true) insights on the situation with Connelly and the incident in his past. Just me, it sounds like a kid (unfortunately like many kids his age/generation) didn't truly understand the significance of the symbol he took a photo off. And unlike someone like a Mitchell Miller (who still seems like an unapologetic "bad seed"), this was a one time, split second thing ( yes a very ill attempt at being funny..) - and he has done everything to prove/show how sorry he is about the whole thing. And he realizes he has to prove it everyday, and some will still pile on - as was the case with another accusation that was proven false.

He was recruited by all the top schools, and picking Providence, that school and coach (Nate Leaman) doesn't suffer fools - I'm sure they did research on it and believe in what Connelly is doing now. I think NHL teams will do the same.

Thank you for sharing some actual information. Certainly doesn't lend credence to the now deleted conjecture that was being recklessly thrown around in this thread yesterday.

He's clearly made mistakes and faced the consequences for them. But it's good to see he's taken responsibility for his actions and has been putting in the work to learn and evolve. Hopefully it's an authentic and continuing journey.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I feel this has been way overdone, and I’m starting to believe this slope is going to continue getting slipperier.

Why is being coerced into participating in some racial group for minority hockey players? He shouldn’t have to be a role model for DEI causes to make up for an immature photo he was part of. In what way was he discriminating against minorities in hockey by taking that picture?

There’s an effort underway to make him into the next Mitchell Miller, and I believe he (and all others) must reject it. Don’t give into it. He did something immature. It’s regrettable for sure, but he shouldn’t have to go through all these hoops to make up for it. He shouldn’t have to make up for it period. Learn from it. That’s all.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I feel this has been way overdone, and I’m starting to believe this slope is going to continue getting slipperier.

Why is being coerced into participating in some racial group for minority hockey players? He shouldn’t have to be a role model for DEI causes to make up for an immature photo he was part of. In what way was he discriminating against minorities in hockey by taking that picture?

There’s an effort underway to make him into the next Mitchell Miller, and I believe he (and all others) must reject it. Don’t give into it. He did something immature. It’s regrettable for sure, but he shouldn’t have to go through all these hoops to make up for it. He shouldn’t have to make up for it period. Learn from it. That’s all.

Why are you assuming he's being coerced?

No one is trying to make him the next Miller. They are vastly different situations.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why are you assuming he's being coerced?

No one is trying to make him the next Miller. They are vastly different situations.
No 17 year old kid feels the need to come out and apologize for an immature photo on Snapchat. I’m not 17, but Snapchat was around when I was his age and no one was publicly apologizing to the masses for inappropriate Snapchat photos.

He must feel it’s going to hurt his hockey career, and given that the article already states that his hockey career has been affected, he’s probably seen what’s happened with Miller and decided or been advised to take the opposite course. I agree that this doesn’t seem as bad as Miller’s actions, but that devolved way past a teenage kid did some bad things a lot of years ago. This could certainly ruin his career, depending on what happens next.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
No 17 year old kid feels the need to come out and apologize for an immature photo on Snapchat. I’m not 17, but Snapchat was around when I was his age and no one was publicly apologizing to the masses for inappropriate Snapchat photos.

He must feel it’s going to hurt his hockey career, and given that the article already states that his hockey career has been affected, he’s probably seen what’s happened with Miller and decided or been advised to take the opposite course. I agree that this doesn’t seem as bad as Miller’s actions, but that devolved way past a teenage kid did some bad things a lot of years ago. This could certainly ruin his career, depending on what happens next.

You are making wild leaps and assumptions.

People of all ages apologize for things all the time for a variety of reasons, whether it's because they regret what they did, they want to minimize the repercussions, etc. This isn't new. There are 17 year olds apologizing all the time, such as in school, to avoid repercussions. The only difference with Connelly is the medium and the audience.

The reality is he's not an average 17 year old kid. He has a wider audience, and he's staring down a potential lucrative professional hockey career. Those realities makes it more likely that he'd want to take corrective action on his missteps, but also more likely that he has access to more resources to help him learn and grow. That is a positive, not the negative you're making it out to be.

There is no evidence this will ruin his career. If there is more to the story then maybe that changes things. Setting aside the actual transgressions as Miller's were criminal and extreme, a big difference is Connelly seems to have assumed responsibility for his actions and next steps. Or maybe him and his team are just better at PR than guys like Miller. But if he's actually taking accountability, both for his actions and his growth, that would be a positive and not the negative you portray it to be.

Last edited:

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019

It's almost like there's more to it and he's trying to get ahead of things by doing good deeds and publishing beautiful PR stories. Oh wait, that's exactly what's happening.

But that's exactly what he should be doing. Nobody's ever claimed players who f***ed up in their youth shouldn't be allowed to play again. They just need to put in the work to better themselves and prove they deserve a second chance. Nothing wrong with that, quite the opposite.

Still, there will be teams that won't touch him with a ten-foot pole. Looking forward to seeing how things develop in the next months and into draft day.

Reactions: Blueston

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
But that's exactly what he should be doing. Nobody's ever claimed players who f***ed up in their youth shouldn't be allowed to play again. They just need to put in the work to better themselves and prove they deserve a second chance. Nothing wrong with that, quite the opposite.
This is where we’ll have to agree to disagree. I don’t want him groveling, if it’s inauthentic. If he was sorry for what he did and truly meant all this stuff that’s happened afterwards, I guess he’s free to do all that, but this comes off inauthentic, as did some of the aftermath of the Miller saga.

If I was someone offended by what happened, I would hope he doesn’t do it again. That’s all. I don’t see the need to makes him jump through hoops that make his life much more difficult. I think it results in a punishment, not an education of what he did wrong. Teenagers shouldn’t need to jump through all these hoops when they make a mistake. If they violate the law and are old enough to be charged, by all means I’m not arguing with that, but inappropriate behavior shouldn’t result in needing to beg for a second chance. They should be granted it without much thought.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

So I actually do not think the situation is a huge deal and agree he doesn’t need to be crucified. That said- and I don’t mean to be combative- but this post is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
So I actually do not think the situation is a huge deal and agree he doesn’t need to be crucified. That said- and I don’t mean to be combative- but this post is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read.

Of course you mean to be combative. You disagree with my opinion, but instead of debating the point, resorted to a combative insult.

I’m confident in my view on this though and don’t need your validation.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I’m watching Tri-City against Youngstown and it is absolutely crazy that Connelly is the 2nd line left winger. He’s being completely underutilized. He clearly should be the 1st line center. He has literally everything you’d want in a center and he’s clearly the best player on the ice by a large margin.

Reactions: wetcoast

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I’m watching Tri-City against Youngstown and it is absolutely crazy that Connelly is the 2nd line left winger. He’s being completely underutilized. He clearly should be the 1st line center. He has literally everything you’d want in a center and he’s clearly the best player on the ice by a large margin.
I wouldn't say he's underutilized at all. His line didn't start the game, but it's the 1st line. He also plays 1st unit powerplay and he penalty kills.

I like Connelly's game from the wing. He can push the pace and he creates a lot from the outside. He could have easily had 3 or 4 assists today. My only complaint is he can force things and gets a lot of his shots blocked.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I wouldn't say he's underutilized at all. His line didn't start the game, but it's the 1st line. He also plays 1st unit powerplay and he penalty kills.

I like Connelly's game from the wing. He can push the pace and he creates a lot from the outside. He could have easily had 3 or 4 assists today. My only complaint is he can force things and gets a lot of his shots blocked.
I don’t know, man. I think he’s absolutely a center. His puck carrying ability is fantastic.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
He is going to fall on draft day once the casual fan learns about his past it is bound to happen

in 10 years we’ll wonder ehy he went so low in the draft after a successful NHL career

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
He is going to fall on draft day once the casual fan learns about his past it is bound to happen

in 10 years we’ll wonder ehy he went so low in the draft after a successful NHL career
That makes it sound so ominous “his past”. He posted a picture of children blocks in the shape of swastika in attempt at dark humor. It seems like he’s done the necessary work in putting it behind him.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad