F Trevor Connelly - Tri-City Storm, USHL (2024 Draft)

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
He's been good, but he's capable of playing better.

Tri city looks like they will be a decent team, but they don't have a ton of talent around Connelly. It's a one man show a lot of the time. He looked gassed the second half of the game against Sioux Falls. Noticeably less jump.

The power play has been a disaster. Switching Constance with Bales would be a step in the right direction there.

Another thing noticeable is that Connelly is full attack mode at all times. On the penalty kill, most players will send it down and change. Connelly is trying to score.

Reactions: Dux917

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
He's been good, but he's capable of playing better.

Tri city looks like they will be a decent team, but they don't have a ton of talent around Connelly. It's a one man show a lot of the time. He looked gassed the second half of the game against Sioux Falls. Noticeably less jump.

The power play has been a disaster. Switching Constance with Bales would be a step in the right direction there.

Another thing noticeable is that Connelly is full attack mode at all times. On the penalty kill, most players will send it down and change. Connelly is trying to score.
He definitely didn’t seem engaged in the second half. I’m interested to see how he develops as the year goes on. The potential is there, but he needs to reach another gear. He’ll need to develop more of a finishing ability but I’ll agree that his teammates seem to blow most of the chances he creates.

I think he’ll be top 15 at this point based on his tools but I’m just starting to watch some of the 2024 eligibles now.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
He definitely didn’t seem engaged in the second half. I’m interested to see how he develops as the year goes on. The potential is there, but he needs to reach another gear. He’ll need to develop more of a finishing ability but I’ll agree that his teammates seem to blow most of the chances he creates.

I think he’ll be top 15 at this point based on his tools but I’m just starting to watch some of the 2024 eligibles now.
Yeah I'd agree with that. Came in at 11 on McKenzie's list which sounds about right. Should be the best non-NTDP USHL kid since Connor. I'm considering Fantilli and Celebrini NCAA guys for the purposes of this statement.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
He's ripping apart the USHL so far with 10 points in his first 5 games.
It's been really dominant. He's playing at a faster pace than everyone else on the ice with or without the puck and seeing the ice incredibly well. The closest non-NTDP player in their 17 year old season I can remember being as dominant has he has been in the USHL is Kyle Connor. I'm removing Celebrini from the equation because I don't think he's at level but he's definitely been as special as Connor was this year so far

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What position does he play? Seems to be generically listed as a forward everywhere. Does he project as a center or more of a winger?

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
What position does he play? Seems to be generically listed as a forward everywhere. Does he project as a center or more of a winger?
Didn't watch him last year, but every time I've seen him this year (Hlinka, USHL) he's been at LW.

I see a lot of Stutzle in his game, so a move to C would not surprise me, but I'm not sure if he has any experience at the position.

Reactions: Riggins

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Left wing in all the games I've watched. I like him as a winger, he's really dangerous off the rush.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Connelly was largely excellent throughout the tournament. I watched all of USA’s games. Dominant at times. The Sweden game in the round robin was probably the best game I’ve seen him play. He looked like he should have been playing with the world junior team, not the world junior A team in that game. Everything he did was working. This goal was one was one of those ‘did he just do what I think he did?’ moments:

He’s had two very good showings now internationally. I’m guessing the crossover scouts are going to be higher on him than the regional/USA scouts at this point in time. He hasn’t kicked the doors down in the USHL the way I thought he was going to. He’s ranged from ‘good’ to ‘ok’, in the games I've seen which is probably about 1/3 of Tri City's games.

I’ve seen ranked in the 20’s on quite a few draft lists. That’s too low in my opinion. There’s just too much upside to fall that far. I’ve seen hockey sense mentioned as the main critique. I don’t think he lacks hockey sense. Oliver Moore is the poster child for someone who lacks hockey sense. Moore had/has no understanding for how to utilize his linemates to make himself more dangerous. Connelly is different. He’s excellent at drawing attention and finding his linemates backdoor. He’s really good at finding seams. He’s not Nicklas Backstrom, but that’s not someone who lacks hockey sense. I think the critiques come from the fact he so puck dominant and perhaps can try to do too much at times. Similar things were said of Barzal in his draft year. Connelly will need to adjust his game as he advances levels, but he's got the skating and skill to be an impactful player.

As a player today, Connelly is extremely dangerous at any point he has the puck. He's a creative player. He's always attacking the goal. Not afraid to drive the net, not a perimeter player. His ability to create something out of nothing is usually something you only see out of top picks. He's a primary puck carrying option. Off the rush, his top speed is quite good, not McDavid elite, but well above average. He’s got excellent hands where he can weave his way through traffic. The world junior A announcer described him as a knife through butter which I thought was an apt metaphor. In the o zone, he’s good at changing directions and creating space from a defender. He’s more of a playmaker than a goal scorer. He’s almost at an assist per game in the USHL and there have been numerous occasions where he’s fed a teammate backdoor for a tap in and they haven’t finished. It’s happened seemingly every game I’ve seen. His stats should be better than they are.

The biggest negative in his game for me is his lack of finishing (weird to say on the same day as a 4 goal performance, but it's been true in many games). For the amount he creates, he can be a bit frustrating in the sense that too many of those chance don’t result in goals. Too many ‘almost’ plays. Misses the net or the goalie saves it. His shot isn’t a huge threat from the outside at this point. It’s not a muffin, but improving his shot should be a focus for Connelly. There can also be some play style concerns. He doesn’t play a traditional straightforward game. He’s not a give and go type. He’s puck dominant and his game is centered around beating 1 or 2 guys then finding a teammate for chance. Ussually only the very elite can play that way in the NHL. So there will likely have to be some adjustments to his game. I also wonder how he would fare as a support piece on a scoring line. He’s not good enough to drive a line 1 on a Stanley Cup contender. So can he play next to a MacKinnon or next to a Jack Hughes and it works? Or will their styles clash since the both want to be the puck carrier? I’m not sure of that answer. I think he'd be fine, but Connelly may end up a line driver of a secondary scoring line who plays PP1.

Not a perfect prospect, but the skating, hands, and skill are very much projectable as a top 6 forward. Overall, I see a player with high upside as an NHL player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ended tied for the tournament lead in points with 6+5=11 points in 6 games.

This current non-NTDP US crop of 2006’s with Connelly, Swanson, Pitner, Park is one of the stronger ones. Best since the 2002’s with Samoskevich, Coronato, Knies, Kaiser, Mazur which also wasn’t the strongest NTDP crop. Did they make stupid decisions on which players to invite or did some of these players not accept?

Reactions: B17 Apricots

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I think you're using "woke" wrong unless I'm missing something.
He took a picture of a Swastika from children's building blocks and put it on social media when he was 16 or so. He regretted the mistake soon after. It was just a kid understanding the boundaries of society and humor. I don't think it shows he's an actual anti-semite or anything. After this mistake, he did volunteer work and went to a holocaust museum to better himself.

This happens to a lot of young kids and I don't think it should define their future

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He took a picture of a Swastika from children's building blocks and put it on social media when he was 16 or so. He regretted the mistake soon after. It was just a kid understanding the boundaries of society and humor. I don't think it shows he's an actual anti-semite or anything. After this mistake, he did volunteer work and went to a holocaust museum to better himself.

This happens to a lot of young kids and I don't think it should define their future

It won't but there are probably a few organizations who will want to avoid it.
  • Boston after the Mitchell Miller fiasco
  • Montreal after the Logan Mailloux pick
  • Chicago after their Bowman/Q situation.
Etc.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
It won't but there are probably a few organizations who will want to avoid it.
  • Boston after the Mitchell Miller fiasco
  • Montreal after the Logan Mailloux pick
  • Chicago after their Bowman/Q situation.
Etc.
I agree. Those other 3 are all without a doubt worse than this. Miller was originally picked by Arizona and they got a ton of backlash.

Teams trying to "look good" to appease public opinion by not selecting him for this is ridiculous, but I'm sure some of these teams think that way. It kind of reminds me of the movie "The Campaign" when Will Ferrel's "Rainbowland" book (he made when he was 12 or so) was getting used against him.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Rooting for this Orange County local kid, he looks super talented and sort of looks like a faster Troy Terry.

When I heard about the red flag I thought he might drop, but the situation is completely different from Miller's or Mailloux's. Miller used violence and acted on his racism, and his apologies seemed forced. Mailloux did something that everyone with daughters would never forgive. Cancelling Connelly would be like canceling literally anyone who said something stupid on a video or posted on a photo, which would be nearly everyone. It sounded like a teenager joking around, maybe being sarcastic or trying to get a reaction or attention.

My only concern with drafting him is sign-ability. He's going to need time to get stronger (dude is a twig at 160 lbs) and he might decide to go to school all 4 years after another year in the USHL. He also said in an interview that he likes those original teams like Boston and Rangers... although he did say he liked the Ducks and Zegras was his favorite player... but still, I would think that he would drop more for this reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad