Player Discussion Filip Hronek - Pt. 2

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't really follow the business of hockey but there has been a significant jump in revenue. It all works together of course. The new TV deal in the US, increased viewership, Seattle expansion, licensing deals. Licensing deals are a big one. Wouldn't surprise me if you see more advertisement patches on jerseys.
There is a bigger bump due to the catchup from the flat cap.
Advertising/partnerships will be a bump given they've sold jersey and helmet ads.

I don't foresee gambling being that big until the NHL truly takes it seriously in terms of giving the gambling public transparent information on injuries. NFL is king when it comes to gambling and they release info on who was a full participant at practice, who was limited, and who didn't practice.

But, that's way easier for a once a week game vs 3 to 4 a week.

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't really follow the business of hockey but there has been a significant jump in revenue. It all works together of course. The new TV deal in the US, increased viewership, Seattle expansion, licensing deals. Licensing deals are a big one. Wouldn't surprise me if you see more advertisement patches on jerseys.
Woohoo we are going to get a giant ad logo in the middle on the jersey soon

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
Hronek's ppg pace is down to about 53pts now, despite being stapled to Hughes all season (who is still on pace for 93 points). Hronek clearly is not in the same realm as Hughes. He should be paid accordingly.

I would be leery of giving Hronek a cent over 7M on his new contract.

If Hronek was asked to lead his own Top 4 pairing (without Hughes) I doubt he cracks 45pts on the season. He is simply not worth more than 7M.

He is a very nice, complimentary #2 or #3D. Not a true stud however. Something around 6-8 years at 6.75M - 7M would be fair to both sides in my opinion.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Hronek's ppg pace is down to about 53pts now, despite being stapled to Hughes all season (who is still on pace for 93 points). Hronek clearly is not in the same realm as Hughes. He should be paid accordingly.

If Hronek was asked to lead his own Top 4 pairing (without Hughes) I doubt he cracks 45pts on the season. He is simply not worth more than 7M.

He is a very nice, complimentary #2 or #3D. Not a true stud however. Something around 6-8 years at 6.75M - 7M would be fair to both sides in my opinion.
He doesn't get many PP1 time though. Defensemen not getting PP1 time generally don't score over 45 points. This season so far Hronek is tied for 8th overall in even strength point, so I wouldn't hold his raw point total against him.

His market value is probably between $7m-$8m AAV, based on his ice time, production, comparables, etc. However, I wouldn't be super comfortable giving him a long term contract at high cap hit. Still prefer something like $7m x 3, and re-evaluate once we extend Hughes and see where the team is at.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

Literally nobody playing 2nd pair minutes without PP1 time would crack 45 points

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Wait till we get like Rogers in the middle

I hope hockey fans wouldn’t waste their money if it got to that point. I still can’t believe soccer fans pay to be a walking advertisement for anything but their actual team

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

agree with the overall sentiment but if you compare the production of the two you MUST look at 5on5 scoring not total points.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Best comps for me are

Justin Faulk 7.98% (28-34) - 22-24 ATOI - 1x all star - Norris 22nd
Vince Dunn 8.80% (27-30) - 64pts All star 11th in Norris. Primary producer
Neal Pionk 7.21% (26-29) - scores and plays 1-2min less but is more physical. 0 legacy yrs
Gustav Forsling 6.88% (28-35) - +106 - 22ATOI - excellent playoff to the finals 26:01 ATOI
*Nick Leddy 7.97% (24-30) - 2x all star - 15th in Norris voting yr before signing. 0 legacy yrs
*Dimitry Orlov 6.80% (26-31) - Just came off 21st in Norris voting and a big playoff perf. 0 leg

For Hronek: Higher end pts production more towards Dunn. Higher minutes than some of my comps. Not a lot of right shot comparables

For Canucks: Not a good goal scorer. Hughes propping production and probably +/-. Higher minutes has led to second half struggles and unproven in playoffs

For me prime years 27-31 are at 8% then anything beyond brings it down scaled something like...

4 x 7.25......29 million total
5 x 6.83.....35
6 x 6.67......40
7 x 6.29......44
8 x 5.88.....47

Hugely interested in how he continues down the stretch and into playoffs as that would heavily weight term for me. 34-3-5-8 primary pts since 2024. -3 since all star break
Ideally we just do 4-5 yrs.

Could see his agent getting a bit more given the lack of right side guys in these playing ranges. Hope we hold firm and they are fair vs Saravelli and his stupid player agent based claims.....gotta look after your sources so i get it but sometimes it's annoying.

*past contracts through prime years

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Was listening to some talk on Hronek

Currently 10th in Even strength points 1 point above Rielly.

8x8 type deal for him incoming?

Seravalli seems to think he's getting $8m or leaving. I think that's a bit rich, and Seravalli was off on Pettersson's $12m AAV (though not by much).

I have to think that because Pettersson's deal was done just before the deadline, that Allvin was limited from using the deadline as a pressure point for Hronek. That changed the game a bit for both sides.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Seravalli seems to think he's getting $8m or leaving. I think that's a bit rich, and Seravalli was off on Pettersson's $12m AAV (though not by much).

I have to think that because Pettersson's deal was done just before the deadline, that Allvin was limited from using the deadline as a pressure point for Hronek. That changed the game a bit of both sides.

Yea its a tough contract to pick.

1 RFA year left. DMEN getting paid. Rising cap.

Vince Dunn got 7.3 Segachev got 8.something.

Hroneks offensive output and a year later is kind of how I got to that 7.5 to 8 million a year.

Thought I'd ask. You guys are my western team. Was a big Luongo fan and I have a friend that's a major Canucks fan so always cheering.

At first I thought anything over 7 was too much but now I am thinking it's not enough.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yea its a tough contract to pick.

1 RFA year left. DMEN getting paid. Rising cap.

Vince Dunn got 7.3 Segachev got 8.something.

Hroneks offensive output and a year later is kind of how I got to that 7.5 to 8 million a year.

Thought I'd ask. You guys are my western team. Was a big Luongo fan and I have a friend that's a major Canucks fan so always cheering.

At first I thought anything over 7 was too much but now I am thinking it's not enough.

$7m won't do it. His usage and pending arbitration rights give him the leverage.

Sat Shah (local radio guy) keeps talking about Severson as a comparable. Has mentioned him repeatedly. If the team sees the two players as comparable, then this will not go well. Severson was the low cost alternative. No sense in comparing their AAVs.

The other quirk to this is that they kind of have to go 8 years with him. Given his age, this was supposed to be a player more for the short-term, but still viable long-term. If they lose the long-term, the valuation shifts.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrisLetAngry

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Had to post this as Hronek is an absolute phantom when it comes to media, interviews, etc.

Last edited:

Pogotheclown

Oct 11, 2015
reportedly rejected 6.5x8. kinda glad. i don't mind going higher on the dollar amount but 8 years is a long time to commit to someone who has only really played at that level for a year and a half who still has a lot of open questions about his game

Thats insane.
He's worth five for five.
First overpaying for ep, then this?

• Haha
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
0 points in 10 games now. He's one of the main reasons this team is trending downwards as they approach the playoffs.
thats kinda his M.O. too. Every year he fades down the stretch offensively. The Canucks have a solid case to lower his ask. He was such an important cog in the offensive earlier in the year, he is absolutely one of the reasons for the recent lack of bite on the scoreboard. lets hope its just a matter of conditioning and not a lack of compete as the games become tighter past november.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
If I'm the Canucks I'm tempted to withdraw the $6.5 x 8 offer or at least not budge on it. It might be smarter to let him sign his qualifying offer and use the cap savings to go after Tanev. Nothing wrong with having a motivated Hronek as a pending UFA. If he can have a career season then great pay him $7.5. If he wants more than Hughes then goodbye.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad