Player Discussion Filip Hronek - Pt. 2

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
hronek needs to shoot more. does he even look when hes trying to shoot. ? only had a few bombs this is why hes not used on the PP by tocheet as much especially in the first unit. i take a 35 year old sami salo over him and aint even close.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

I wish Hronek had accepted the Canucks offer because that's exactly what he's worth.

"eight years, $52-54 million total, and an AAV between $6.5 million and $6.75 million"

Hronek's skating's is not the best right now. He was not able to get separation on the break away and he was slow af on the penalty shot. I rarely see him being able to create separation via skating and gets closed on very quickly when passed the puck in the ozone.

Zadorov and Myers are both much better skaters right now. I've already said my piece on Zads. Myers is obviously prone to mental mistakes but at 34 he's still a very good skater AND HE DOESN'T GET INJURED.

Most likely Hronek is playing injured.

Maybe locking down an older injury prone dman on a long contract is not the best strategy.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Hanifin just signed for 8 years, 7.35m per. Comparable?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I would that's a pretty good comparable. Similar statistics and roles.

Hanifin was set to be a UFA while Hronek is going to be an RFA. That might actually play in our favour a bit.
Not when Hronek’s arbitration case will be very strong and also enticing given the rising cap

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I would that's a pretty good comparable. Similar statistics and roles.

Hanifin was set to be a UFA while Hronek is going to be an RFA. That might actually play in our favour a bit.
It's only one RFA year, one in which he is arbitration eligible and conceivably would get close to the same AAV in an arbitration award. I don't think it alters the price much.

Hronek's right-handed, which is always a more valuable asset as well.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
His defense doesn’t justify a similar contract.
he also doesn't have the track record nor the size and shot

Hanifin has 30 goals while Hronek has scored 19 in the last 3 yrs.

Pts and minutes sure but Hanifin can carry a shut down pair and has a cannon plus 6'3 size. Being right handed isn't enough to put him in the same category.

I'm not even that interested in a 6-8yr term with Hronek. Very reliant on his mobility and quickness. Still think this should fall into a little less than Dunn contract category

6.8 million x 5yrs hopefully

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
what does he bring individually? his defending is still a questionmark. still gets beat wide by fowards from time to time. offensively in the beginning he was good. 2nd half hes slowed down.. what happened? is he playing hurt? probbaly is.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Pts and minutes sure but Hanifin can carry a shut down pair and has a cannon plus 6'3 size. Being right handed isn't enough to put him in the same category.

I'm not even that interested in a 6-8yr term with Hronek. Very reliant on his mobility and quickness. Still think this should fall into a little less than Dunn contract category

I think there's a desire to lock in Hronek long term. It certainly fits management's MO.

I feel the compromise is going to be slightly over $7M AAV or a 3-4 year contract at under $7M AAV that sets Hronek up to hit the market again at 30/31.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The Hanifin contract is really good news for us. No shot he should be making more than Hanifin. Idgaf about income taxes, rising CAP, blah blah blah. The most important leverage in all contract negotiations is player comparables.

I don't know if Hronek pushes these negotiations to the wire, holds out and bluffs arbitration causing us to pay a prettier penny for him (I know this is within his rights as a player); but I will lose a ton of interest in the player and would consider moving him if he does. And that's saying something because it's almost impossible to replace him but I'm getting 'diva' vibes but I'm probably way over board.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
what does he bring individually? his defending is still a questionmark. still gets beat wide by fowards from time to time. offensively in the beginning he was good. 2nd half hes slowed down.. what happened? is he playing hurt? probbaly is.
5on5 scoring for dmen is very very luck driven.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I personally think that's a great comparable.

People can hate all they want, if we get him for 8 years at around that cap hit it will be a pretty good deal. Hughes is going to be getting 12mil or something like that on his next deal, so a 5mil difference seems like it's in the range.

Reactions: Bourne Endeavor

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Kind of crazy for us to even offer him any extension before we had a time to see him play during the playoffs.

Completely over regular season point watching in the NHL when nearly all of those players crumble in the playoffs.

I suppose theirs some value in players winning scoring titles but if they can't do it when it matters does it really matter as a fan?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Not when Hronek’s arbitration case will be very strong and also enticing given the rising cap

His recent spiral downward will really hurt any arbitration case in can muster. At least to the point of 8M. 6 points in his last 24 games and just 2 goals in 19 games isn't exactly stellar.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Considering he supposedly rejected an offer of 6.5M. There's pretty much zero chance he accepts anything that doesn't begin with at least 7.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Obviously I have no clue what Hronek and the Canucks basically settle on in terms of contract numbers.....but seems to me, he has the Canucks a little over a barrel.

They gave up a first and second rounder to acquire him, and their lack of blueline depth is one of the biggest organizational concerns going forward.

I put Hronek in the same category as Joshua, although he's an impending UFA with more options,. But the Canucks need to find a way to sign both. But it will mean some tough choices elsewhere in the roster.

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad