Flames Arena, the Saga Continues

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The city needs a building. Penticton has a new events centre and we have 30 thousand people.
Need and want are two different things. I'd say the vast majority of Calgarians would happen to disagree.

I've already made my position clear here. This deal is to socialize cost and capitalize the profit. I'm sure every small business owner wishes they got a deal as good as we're about to give to CSEC lol. If Calgary got a clear financial benefit on this I'd be on board, but there is nothing in the empirical record that says that is the case.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Need and want are two different things.

I've already made my position clear here. This deal is to socialize cost and capitalize the profit. I'm sure every small business owner wishes they got a deal as good as we're about to give to CSEC lol.
250 million is about 200 bucks per person. About 1/8th to 1/10th of the average persons property tax.

How much does gas to Edmonton and back to see a concert cost?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
250 million is about 200 bucks per person. About 1/8th to 1/10th of the average persons property tax.

How much does gas to Edmonton and back to see a concert cost?
That's... not nothing lol. Especially since the average person can't afford to go to most of the events at the dome.

It's pretty simple to me, this will cost more to the city than what we will get back in additional revenues. What the normative value of this building is worth to you is up to your discretion (probably very high on this board lol), but saying we "need it" or "well Edmonton gets cool concerts" isn't going to sway the average person.

Reactions: 1989

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
That's... not nothing lol. Especially since the average person can't afford to go to most of the events at the dome.

It's pretty simple to me, this will cost more to the city than what we will get back in additional revenues. What the normative value of this building is worth to you is up to your discretion (probably very high on this board lol), but saying we "need it" or "well Edmonton gets cool concerts" isn't going to sway the average person.
It will cost money. Things do cost money. I’m not saying the city should bend over like Edmonton did but it doesn’t mean there isn’t value added. Acts will come in. People from out of town will come to see them. That generates revenue for hotels and restaurants. Infrastructure leads to economic growth.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If Calgary wants to be the A-tier city they dream of being with all those "livable city" rankings, they need better infrastructure for sports and the arts. They've gone neglected for decades.

That said, CSEC's fearmongering has been pathetic and they need to let go of the Edmonton deal. I would welcome new ownership of the club

Reactions: Tofveve

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Maybe, but the previous arena deal was unpopular amongst the general public
I never said it was a great way to buy votes...as a Flames fan it is kind of poetic that oiler fans would have to contribute to our new arena.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Agreed Calgary does need a world-class arena and events centre. And that means don't align it with a roll-away seat stadium that any 3rd-rate college or high school gymnasium has, and then add in some hip sounding but small demographic-used indoor soccer pitches. We need something that has a football stadium that resembles the Winnipeg/Regina ones but that can hold another 10,000 without it looking cavernous at 30,000 (ie., nothing like Commonwealth stadium), and is attached by a commons with restaurants, shopping, smaller live entertainment and conference centre etc. and then a 20k seat arena. Make it the envy of the world. Tired of 2nd rate shenanigans. Sure throw In some attached indoor soccer pitches if all of the rest is there. /:rant:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Having lived in YYC my entire life and seen what the muppets in council spend tax dollars on I have no problem split funding a new arena.

Rather they spend the money and complete a project then spend millions on road works that take centuries to complete only to crumble in 2 years anyway.

It goes beyond the Flames, Calgary needs a better event center.

Reactions: Volica

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Having lived in YYC my entire life and seen what the muppets in council spend tax dollars on I have no problem split funding a new arena.

Rather they spend the money and complete a project then spend millions on road works that take centuries to complete only to crumble in 2 years anyway.

I disagree. Calgary should save it’s tax payer money and help fund more Blue Circles. An army of Blue Circles.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I don’t really disagree. The planning in this city is so stupid. Build a new neighborhood with single roads going in and out. Only to have to redo the road construction a few years in and expand the lanes and overpasses. The transportation and LRT is also a joke, that should have been corrected years ago. They only plan ahead for 5 years.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I don’t really disagree. The planning in this city is so stupid. Build a new neighborhood with single roads going in and out. Only to have to redo the road construction a few years in and expand the lanes and overpasses. The transportation and LRT is also a joke, that should have been corrected years ago. They only plan ahead for 5 years.

It's hard to take anything the city says or does seriously when the Green Line has been in constant flux for the better part of a decade. I remember when they were talking about how it would actually reach my neighborhood in the North, after all the revisions the current outlook has it not even coming remotely close to me now and it costing 4 times as much.

The new event center was originally billed at $550 million and by the time they get shovels in the dirt I am positive that number will be closer to $750 or 800 million. They've dicked around for so long by either not getting a deal done or now cancelling the deal and re-negotiating that the cost is just skyrocketing.

Same problem I had the the Olympic bid, which was a joke in the first place. Throw $10 mil (or was it closer to $30 mil) down the drain trying to make a bid when the bid they put forth was total dogshit in the first place. How the f you not include a new event center in that bid.

With all this said, I am 100% not just going to let CSEC bully the city into paying for the arena. I was fine with the 50/50 split even though I am sure we're all in agreement the Flames should be fitting the majority of the bill, if not all of it.

I can't remember where it was, but a stadium just got a deal done for an NFL team a few weeks back for around $2 billion and football teams playing a whopping 8 home games all year. Flames use the Dome minimum over 100 times counting all the teams they own (if they don't own the Hitmen then lower the number to 75+).

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
It's hard to take anything the city says or does seriously when the Green Line has been in constant flux for the better part of a decade. I remember when they were talking about how it would actually reach my neighborhood in the North, after all the revisions the current outlook has it not even coming remotely close to me now and it costing 4 times as much.

The new event center was originally billed at $550 million and by the time they get shovels in the dirt I am positive that number will be closer to $750 or 800 million. They've dicked around for so long by either not getting a deal done or now cancelling the deal and re-negotiating that the cost is just skyrocketing.

Same problem I had the the Olympic bid, which was a joke in the first place. Throw $10 mil (or was it closer to $30 mil) down the drain trying to make a bid when the bid they put forth was total dogshit in the first place. How the f you not include a new event center in that bid.

With all this said, I am 100% not just going to let CSEC bully the city into paying for the arena. I was fine with the 50/50 split even though I am sure we're all in agreement the Flames should be fitting the majority of the bill, if not all of it.

I can't remember where it was, but a stadium just got a deal done for an NFL team a few weeks back for around $2 billion and football teams playing a whopping 8 home games all year. Flames use the Dome minimum over 100 times counting all the teams they own (if they don't own the Hitmen then lower the number to 75+).
does it make you feel better that the MLA/Minister that has probably caused the largest amount of issues with Green line scope changes and delays is now the one that the UCP has put forward as their rep on this project?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I just hope if there is a new arena deal they fire the current architects and find someone to design something that doesn't look like an fugly box. The last design sucked style wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad