Flames Arena, the Saga Continues

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I just hope if there is a new arena deal they fire the current architects and find someone to design something that doesn't look like an fugly box. The last design sucked style wise.
good luck...with the province involved they will put a rural spin on it so it will look like a barn and with McIver the rep they will stage the construction funding and the ice plant will be scheduled for installation in 2050.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
good luck...with the province involved they will put a rural spin on it so it will look like a barn and with McIver the rep they will stage the construction funding and the ice plant will be scheduled for installation in 2050.
And it will heated by coal with huge coal burning stoves in the basement with convicts shovelling it in while shirtless

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I think that's what Jon Hamm meant when he referred to Calgary was like stuck or something in the past. I'm pretty sure he was talking about the arena. The city is very nice IMO.

1983: "See? It's shaped like a saddle!"

2023: "Is that crushed Coors Light can where we play?"

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Just went to a Roughnecks game with my son, we went to use the bathroom. In one of the men’s bathrooms, the two toilet were stuck and not working, 2 of the urinals, water was just flowing and would not stop.

This city needs a new arena.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Nice to hear, but let’s assume ground breaks next year. Then another 2+ years for construction, that means the new arena will be ready for the 2026-2027 season at the earliest.

f*** Murray Edwards.

Edit: maybe I shouldn’t be so negative. Happy that there is a new deal and hopefully it actually goes through this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: InfinityIggy

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Nice to hear, but let’s assume ground breaks next year. Then another 2+ years for construction, that means the new arena will be ready for the 2026-2027 season at the earliest.

f*** Murray Edwards.

Edit: maybe I shouldn’t be so negative. Happy that there is a new deal and hopefully it actually goes through this time.
You should be negative towards Edwards, if it wasn't for that greedy f***er we would have a new arena by now

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
$1.2 Billion?!?! Gotta be more then just the arena right? Maybe a fieldhouse for the Stampeders and a state of the art event's centre as well?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Happy it sounds like it's finally happening. Only took like 15 years lol

Cheer up people, this is a good day for the City of Calgary and the Flames.

I'm amped about the entertainment district to be honest with you.
Calgary needs another one really badly; and this would be a nice spot for it. Right now it's all rundown homes (most boarded up) and parking lots.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Happy it sounds like it's finally happening. Only took like 15 years lol

Cheer up people, this is a good day for the City of Calgary and the Flames.

It really isn’t. Tax cheats shouldn’t get more taxpayer money after cheating out the city, but this ain’t an ideal world.

Also if the NDP wins this deal could fall apart again.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
What a devastating deal for the already overtaxed residential taxpayers of the city and the taxpayers of this province. We can't afford this garbage deal.

If the Flames don't want to pay for their own privately funded arena let the f**kers move to Utah. Isn't that why the Utah story popped up in the first place?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It really isn’t. Tax cheats shouldn’t get more taxpayer money after cheating out the city, but this ain’t an ideal world.

Also if the NDP wins this deal could fall apart again.

No they shouldn't you're right. Provincial governments shouldn't flush 1.5 billion on a pipeline that was never going to happen either but they managed to do that fine too.

Taxpayers are going to be getting screwed either way, might as well be for something I give a shit about that's not a pretty library in the digital information age.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Did Jyoti get the solar panels she wanted?

Silver lining is that we'll get a pretty place to stomp our feet.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
$1.2 Billion?!?! Gotta be more then just the arena right? Maybe a fieldhouse for the Stampeders and a state of the art event's centre as well?
Yes
The project also includes a number of improvements to the area, including:

New mobility connection: A new four-lane underpass under the CP train tracks with wide sidewalks at Sixth Street S.E., providing pedestrian, wheeling and vehicle connections;

Community rink: Shared facility for public booking and training facility for CSEC teams with seating for 1,000;

Outdoor and indoor gathering spaces: More opportunity for community events onsite;

Street and public realm improvements: Improvements to Fifth Street S.E. and 15, 17 and 25 Avenues S.E.; and

Land: Potential commercial development parcels.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
No they shouldn't you're right. Provincial governments shouldn't flush 1.5 billion on a pipeline that was never going to happen either but they managed to do that fine too.

Taxpayers are going to be getting screwed either way, might as well be for something I give a shit about that's not a pretty library in the digital information age.
The province is flush with cash right now. Must be an election around the corner with the UCP dishing it out where they need to win. Edmonton has gotta be choked and I don’t blame them.

I’ll believe it when a shovel is in the ground though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad