OT: Former Pred Talk

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Don't need to read the GDT, I can bring the giggles here.

How did you boys put up with this clown for as long as you did? I've been an Avalanche fan for twenty years and watched every game from the 16/17 season onwards, in the time I've been watching every game I've not seen anyone this infuriating. I've seen bad, I've seen lazy, I've seen combinations thereof. I've seen players who are done but still do as much as they can, especially in a system that probably demands more than they were capable of. I've never seen anyone like Johansen though. Abysmal.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Don't need to read the GDT, I can bring the giggles here.

How did you boys put up with this clown for as long as you did? I've been an Avalanche fan for twenty years and watched every game from the 16/17 season onwards, in the time I've been watching every game I've not seen anyone this infuriating. I've seen bad, I've seen lazy, I've seen combinations thereof. I've seen players who are done but still do as much as they can, especially in a system that probably demands more than they were capable of. I've never seen anyone like Johansen though. Abysmal.
He’s the Jeff Spicoli of the NHL. Just wait until he has pizza delivered to the bench during a game and Bednar passes it out to all of his teammates while he watches in disbelief.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Ingram was not as good as Lankinen last year so we chose short term gain over long term potential. Our apparent policy of having guys be completely NHL ready and being hesitant to let guys do some development in the NHL definitely has cost us a few times and this is another example.
Meh. There was never going to be a window where Ingram was a starter here. At best he would have been Saros backup until Askarov was ready to be a backup. Glad he's landed on his feet given the issues he fought through. Hope he gets a nice life changing contract after this year

Last edited:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Meh. There was never going to be a window where Ingram was a starter here. At best he would have been Saros backup until Askarov was ready to be a backup. Glad he's landed on his feet given the issues he fought through. Hope he gets a nice life changing contract after this year
Maybe not but we don’t know how our goalie situation is going to play out. Saros has struggled this season and Askarov still isn’t a sure thing to even be a quality backup in the NHL. Ingram is only 26 and is currently one of the top goalies in the league (albeit with a very small sample size). At the very least if we’d kept him over Lankinen it’s just one other option for a trade.

End of the day we’re probably still ok on the goalie front but to me it’s another example of why I don’t like our overly conservative approach to prospect development. We tend to bring in vet options because we’re seemingly scared of younger guys failing (see Schenn/Barrie blocking promotionof D now) and I think that philosophy is more of a net negative than a positive.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Johansen is a man of great leisure and I kind of respect him for it: He lives for Peter Millar Golf Polos, a nice club sandwich and a few cold ones at the Men's Grille at the club after a spirited round of golf, nice Shit>Steam>Sauna>Shower in the locker room.

Johansen is a man of great leisure and I kind of respect him for it: He lives for Peter Millar Golf Polos, a nice club sandwich and a few cold ones at the Men's Grille at the club after a spirited round of golf, nice Shit>Steam>Sauna>Shower in the locker room. The Good life. He could hang with my crew any day of the week

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I think Joey wasn't that bad until he blew his Achilles. I'm not sure that he's lazy I think he was never fast to begin with and is now even slower. Plus he probably thinks he can coast/not risk another injury since hes on a loaded team like this and save real effort for the playoffs( where he has generally been better than the regular season)

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I think Joey wasn't that bad until he blew his Achilles. I'm not sure that he's lazy I think he was never fast to begin with and is now even slower. Plus he probably thinks he can coast/not risk another injury since hes on a loaded team like this and save real effort for the playoffs( where he has generally been better than the regular season)
He's suffered some pretty serious leg injuries with the Achilles and compartment syndrome. Either one would hobble most people. For a professional athlete, it's less than ideal.

Reactions: PredsV82

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Game is moving towards speed. Joey never was fast but he could kindof hang. Some serious leg injuries and an always questionable work ethic (rumors go all the way back to Columbus)
and the results shouldn't shock anyone. Seriously if he were still here wed be discussing buyouts

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I don't think fans are always as good as we think we are at judging what is effort vs. what is wear and tear.

Also true that aging and/or beat up athletes can't always go 100% all the time. I know that sucks to deal with for guys making so much money but it's a physical reality. Is Johansen lazy? It's possible. I'm just not so certain as some

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Only reason Joey gets the lazy thing stuck to him is because it doesn't matter what team it is coaches and GM's are more than willing to let him go however they can after a few years of him. Columbus, Nashville, and I doubt he even makes it through his time in Colorado all we more than happy to give him up and that just doesn't happen with centers, even ones that aren't meeting expectations will get a long stretch.

I think the only reason he lasts as long as he does is because he is a center and because he's probably a nice guy and his team generally likes him.

Injuries or effort, there is no denying he had a low gear, a middle gear, and a high gear and he shifted up and down on them at various times in the season. It wasn't hard to see, especially when he did decide to hit that high gear.

Reactions: SouthNash

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I don't think fans are always as good as we think we are at judging what is effort vs. what is wear and tear.

Also true that aging and/or beat up athletes can't always go 100% all the time. I know that sucks to deal with for guys making so much money but it's a physical reality. Is Johansen lazy? It's possible. I'm just not so certain as some

Rumors have followed him since he was healthy and young in Columbus. Could be just that his strides and skating look effortless and he doesnt look like he is working hard when in reality he is. At this point, I think it is mostly injuries and an evolving game that have hurt him.

Reactions: SouthNash

SouthNash

Oct 25, 2014
And he's lazy!

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Tolvanen plowed down a ref last night. Clearly accidental and wasn't penalized. Video on the main board if interested

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Ryan Ellis to Philly for Patrick and Myers ... Patrick flipped for Cody Glass .... only Glass currently in the NHL ... Patrick having to deny rumors that he retired.

Glass as an oft injured , middle six center is still the best return in that series of trades.

Bonkers how that turned out for everyone involved.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Duchene playing for next years contract but seriously he was a 60ish point per 82 game pace with us. He still has lots of offensive flair.

Johansen on a 30 point pace for the season... same point pace as Jeannot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad