Player Discussion Frank Vatrano

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He makes 3.65M for another 2 years. What kind of a return do you think that’ll bring in a flat cap world, and do you think that will offset the damage it will do to signing more UFA’s?
Something useful, maybe packaged for a defensive defensemen, younger player, someone with some grit and size. Who knows the possibilities are endless.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Something useful, maybe packaged for a defensive defensemen, younger player, someone with some grit and size. Who knows the possibilities are endless.
Yeah, that’s not really an answer. That’s just mystery wishboxing. Provide actual names and targets that you would expect for a middle 6 complementary wing with 2 years remaining paying 3.625M, because the possibilities for that type of player in this cap climate are absolutely not endless.

For example - Players who meet your wish list - Kulikov, Comtois, Jones.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, that’s not really an answer. That’s just mystery wishboxing. Provide actual names and targets that you would expect for a middle 6 complementary wing with 2 years remaining paying 3.625M, because the possibilities for that type of player in this cap climate are absolutely not endless.

For example - Players who meet your wish list - Kulikov, Comtois, Jones.
Id trade him for a Comtois type player on another team with the hope he fits better here and reaches a little more potential... That's cheaper. Someone with physically and at least some size and some scoring upside.... Sometimes a change of scenery can unlock a little more.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Like I said before, Vatrano is doing what he was brought in for and he is doing it very well. I still think he is a better all around player than Milano.
And also, not to mention, Milano was said by management to have locker room and work ethic problems , we didn’t need someone like that back. It’s irrelevant what he’s doing in Washington. Jake and Felix and anyone else that keeps bringing this pos up, should have a random stranger hit them in their balls the next time they go shopping imho.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
And also, not to mention, Milano was said by management to have locker room and work ethic problems , we didn’t need someone like that back. It’s irrelevant what he’s doing in Washington. Jake and Felix and anyone else that keeps bringing this pos up, should have a random stranger hit them in their balls the next time they go shopping imho.
I thought the locker room and work ethic problems was speculation based on his time in Columbus with Torts. Was that a problem with us? If so, it probably wasn't a good idea for Z to have him as a roommate.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Legit link/source? I'm going to guess now there isn't one. I don't miss him at all and everyone here knows I felt about his turnovers and overall meh play but I'm calling fake news on this.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I thought the locker room and work ethic problems was speculation based on his time in Columbus with Torts. Was that a problem with us? If so, it probably wasn't a good idea for Z to have him as a roommate.
I remember stephens dif an article hinting about that. Don’t have links, just remember it throughly

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Weird. I thought he put in work to improve his two-way game, which Eakins did praise b/c that was how Milano earned ice time. Milano had to do a lot to get back into game shape and learn how to play better while he had season ending injury (concussion maybe). Seemed like great chemistry with Z, often call the New York boys or something like that.

Possession metrics for Milano with the Ducks
2019-20: games 9, CF % = 47.8%​
2020-21: games 6, CF % = 62.1%​
2021-22: games 66, CF % = 56.5%​

I'm not saying Milano did vastly better as a two-way guy, but he did improve his game with us. That improvement probably did help him land a regular gig with Washington.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I think Eakins finally figured out that he plays better down in the lineup. I don’t know but for whatever reason, he just wasn’t working in the top 6. He’s best suited going against bottom pairing dmen.

Very solid player
I kind of disagree with this. The only real change is the shots are going in now. The first half of the season he was shooting like 4% or something absurd and the percentages are evening out to career norms.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Solid pickup.

Like his game, one of the few guys who play with an edge.

Yeah - he's an effective pest (and I mean that as a compliment). Stirs the pot in a good way without being undisciplined. Ducks could use a bit more of that - preferably a guy with more size.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Up to 41 points on the year, a career high for him, tied for the team lead in goals with 22. Been everything he was paid to be and then some and has gotten better and better, really makes you wonder what he’d be producing if we had a half decent team.
Give him an elite passing center.. He could pot 25-30.. His shots are deadly

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Up to 41 points on the year, a career high for him, tied for the team lead in goals with 22. Been everything he was paid to be and then some and has gotten better and better, really makes you wonder what he’d be producing if we had a half decent team.

Odd thing to bring up. Vatrano has been on better teams, playoff teams. With Anaheim, he's probably playing up higher in the lineup and getting more scoring chances. Or we can attribute his scoring to Eakins' run-n-gun style offense?

I'm not as enamored with Vatrano's play overall. As much as I like him scoring a lot, I would also like better defense. I really do like his bulldog mentality, something the team needs.

- Vatrano has 41 points in 79 games (0.52 ppg) with a -28 rating. A goal differential of +13.
- Rookie McTavish has 42 points in 79 games (0.53 ppg) with a -19 rating. A goal differential of +23.
- Old man Rico has 37 points in 60 games (0.62 ppg) with a -8 rating. A goal differential of +29.

We need better defense from Vatrano, at least equal defense to that of rookie McTavish. Yet, look at Rico's goal differential production (points + plus/minus rating). Vatrano's tied for 2nd worst plus/minus rating of -28 with Klingberg. The worst is Stroke with -29.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Odd thing to bring up. Vatrano has been on better teams, playoff teams. With Anaheim, he's probably playing up higher in the lineup and getting more scoring chances. Or we can attribute his scoring to Eakins' run-n-gun style offense?

I'm not as enamored with Vatrano's play overall. As much as I like him scoring a lot, I would also like better defense. I really do like his bulldog mentality, something the team needs.

- Vatrano has 41 points in 79 games (0.52 ppg) with a -28 rating. A goal differential of +13.
- Rookie McTavish has 42 points in 79 games (0.53 ppg) with a -19 rating. A goal differential of +23.
- Old man Rico has 37 points in 60 games (0.62 ppg) with a -8 rating. A goal differential of +29.

We need better defense from Vatrano, at least equal defense to that of rookie McTavish. Yet, look at Rico's goal differential production (points + plus/minus rating). Vatrano's tied for 2nd worst plus/minus rating of -28 with Klingberg. The worst is Stroke with -29.
We need better defense from the whole team.. That comes with a new coach to teach these guys how to defend as a unit... All the do is scramble all over the ice.. Worst defensive team ever..

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
I liked Vatrano a lot as a kid in Boston; it seems that Cassidy stifled him somewhat, as I read later he has a propensity to do. I think being traded really shook his confidence, but being here he's under less pressure and I suspect he feels more freedom to plat his game. If so, Kudos to Eakins for that, at least. He could flourish here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad