Goals against review thread

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How about this:

You could have a poll, softie of the month. At the end of the season youd have 12 softies of the month and you could have a vote which one was the worst.
Are you suggesting just doing a softie of the month and getting rid of softie of the night? Or continuing SOTN but also doing SOTM and eventually the year?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Goals against review for Wednesday night’s games

Canadiens vs Maple Leafs: 2 goals against Allen, 1 stoppable. 1 goal against Campbell, no chance.

Rangers vs Capitals: 5 goals against Georgiev, 1 stoppable. 1 goal against Vanecek, no chance.

Jets vs Ducks: 4 goals against Hellebuyck, no chance on any. 1 goal against Gibson, no chance.

Blackhawks vs Avalanche: 4 goals against Fleury, no chance on any. 2 goals against Kuemper, 1 stoppable.

Canucks vs Oilers: 2 goals against Demko, no chance on either. 2 goals against Smith, 1 stoppable.

So that’s 24 goals scored on goalies, 4 are stoppable. That’s 17% of the goals scored were stoppable. Combined save percentages were .923%.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Softy of the night is this Quinn Hughes goal on Mike Smith. This is nothing new for Smith. He’s good for one of these every other game he plays. If there’s a top-12 softies of the year, I bet he’d have at least 4 of them. He more than likely has the most since I started doing these.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Are you suggesting just doing a softie of the month and getting rid of softie of the night? Or continuing SOTN but also doing SOTM and eventually the year?

You would still do softy of the night but on monthly basis you could pick your top 10 favorites for a softy of the month poll. And then at the end of regular season you could have a final poll on the softy of the year. Just to have some excitement along the way. Thanks for someone pointing out that the season isnt actually 12 months long :laugh:

I guess in a perfect world you could have softy of the week which determines softy of the month candidates but.. thats a lot of admin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
Softy of the night is this Quinn Hughes goal on Mike Smith. This is nothing new for Smith. He’s good for one of these every other game he plays. If there’s a top-12 softies of the year, I bet he’d have at least 4 of them. He more than likely has the most since I started doing these.

Just awful. This thread has a foul odor already. I'm out! :sarcasm:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So far, that vasilevskiy is the SotW. it's like his controller disconnected or something lol

how you gonna go down to "block a pass/shot" from behind the net?
I agree, if not only for the fact that that Mike Smith softy is a dime a dozen, at least for Mike Smith it is.... I'm sure we'll see another nasty one like that on him within the next week.

A goalie giving a puck away is the biggest error a goalie can make, because not only does it lead to the goal against, it causes the entire shot/chance against.

Though I will say that I have given a goal like the one Smith allowed last night the SOTN over a goal where the goalie gave it away, just for how weak the shot/goal looked going past the goalie.

I have gotten asked a lot if I nail a goalie on a goal that was scored on them due to the goalie giving the puck away, even if the actual shot doesn't look stoppable, and my answer is always yes. If the goalie gives the puck away, but has no chance on the actual shot against that goes into he net, I still count a goal stoppable against that goalie.

AgentBrodeur

Jul 19, 2016
new jersey
not to mock what your doing, its a great idea. If i were you (which i am not) i would go further, and also focus more on just the NJ Devils.

Also your focus is a bit too much on just the Goalie. It would be nice if you gave the defense some responsibility.

But google sheets would be best as multiple users can edit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For a few years, I had a website, that simply had a dropdown of the devils roster, and a drop down of values from -5 to 5.

So when a defenseman lost his man, he would receive a negative 2. If it lead to a goal -4. If a player receives sauce for a tap in, he would get 1 point, and the apple (assist) would get 2, and the person that did the work. Players got points even for creating chances.

I then had a reporting page, where you can pick player(s), and see a grid, you actually could see Zacha trending up as well as McLeod and the down fall of cammalleri, before regular people really started to notice

AgentBrodeur

Jul 19, 2016
new jersey
What about penalty shots, or power plays. Surely, the goalie is out numbered now. He cannot receive the same weight of a penalty?

OEL shot from the point that redirects to the top corner on the PP, what was Smith going to do on that one.

Also in the shoot out, i think he made a great old school save, closing the lower butterfly squeezing and kicking out that 5 hole shot. But anyway thats a 1 on none. Saves should be worth more, and goals against less.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
not to mock what your doing, its a great idea. If i were you (which i am not) i would go further, and also focus more on just the NJ Devils.

Also your focus is a bit too much on just the Goalie. It would be nice if you gave the defense some responsibility.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For a few years, I had a website, that simply had a dropdown of the devils roster, and a drop down of values from -5 to 5.

So when a defenseman lost his man, he would receive a negative 2. If it lead to a goal -4. If a player receives sauce for a tap in, he would get 1 point, and the apple (assist) would get 2, and the person that did the work. Players got points even for creating chances.

I then had a reporting page, where you can pick player(s), and see a grid, you actually could see Zacha trending up as well as McLeod and the down fall of cammalleri, before regular people really started to notice

What about penalty shots, or power plays. Surely, the goalie is out numbered now. He cannot receive the same weight of a penalty?

OEL shot from the point that redirects to the top corner on the PP, what was Smith going to do on that one.

Also in the shoot out, i think he made a great old school save, closing the lower butterfly squeezing and kicking out that 5 hole shot. But anyway thats a 1 on none. Saves should be worth more, and goals against less.
I think you’re overthinking this.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

The idea behind this experiment is to focus on the goalies only. This is for goalies only and I'm not taking into account anything the defense or skaters did or didn't do in this ''Stat'' (if you could even call it that lol) of mine. This is a goalie ONLY feature.

I did this as a means to see if goalies with poor save percentages were also poor in my stoppable goals percentages and vice versa. I did find a correlation after the sample size got long enough, but there were also some deviations on both sides for sure.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Once again, this is for the goalies only. If I feel the goalie had a chance (or at least a decent one) on a goal, power play, penalty shot or not, I give them a goal stoppable. And in the three years that I've done this prior to this season, I think I've counted 26%-28% of the goals in the entire league as stoppable. It seems to vary between 26%-28% from those three years.

I've counted a penalty shot goal as stoppable before, but it's rare.

I don't factor shootout goals into this at all. These are only for regulation/OT goals and non-empty netters.

The goal I nailed Smith on last night was just the Hughes goal. I didn't give him a goal stoppable on the OEL goal.

Reactions: AgentBrodeur

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

if did this i better be getting paid LOL

AgentBrodeur

Jul 19, 2016
new jersey
Once again, this is for the goalies only. If I feel the goalie had a chance (or at least a decent one) on a goal, power play, penalty shot or not, I give them a goal stoppable. And in the three years that I've done this prior to this season, I think I've counted 26%-28% of the goals in the entire league as stoppable. It seems to vary between 26%-28% from those three years.

I've counted a penalty shot goal as stoppable before, but it's rare.

I don't factor shootout goals into this at all. These are only for regulation/OT goals and non-empty netters.

The goal I nailed Smith on last night was just the Hughes goal. I didn't give him a goal stoppable on the OEL goal.

Ok I get what your getting at, I was wondering shootout, penalty, or clear cut breakaways counted or not as stoppable.

The difference Im trying to get in my head is mine was weighted. So your stoppable shot, thats stopped, is just a stop. Where if the a brodeur scorpian save came out on a PK, that got more then just a 1.

As for getting paid, its not all that hard if the person is just doing goals. It wasnt all that hard for me to rate players performance (for just one team). Where you say eh fck, PK blew it right there, perfect pass, and shoots it over the net, i put -2 in my phone. (which he seem to get back on track on hitting the net , talking off topic)

Not all that hard.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ok I get what your getting at, I was wondering shootout, penalty, or clear cut breakaways counted or not as stoppable.

The difference Im trying to get in my head is mine was weighted. So your stoppable shot, thats stopped, is just a stop. Where if the a brodeur scorpian save came out on a PK, that got more then just a 1.

As for getting paid, its not all that hard if the person is just doing goals. It wasnt all that hard for me to rate players performance (for just one team). Where you say eh fck, PK blew it right there, perfect pass, and shoots it over the net, i put -2 in my phone. (which he seem to get back on track on hitting the net , talking off topic)

Not all that hard.
I've counted breakaways and penalty kill goals as stoppable before. Why wouldn't I? Remember, these goals aren't necessarily the goalies if I count them stoppable. Just shots I thought the goalies could have had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad