Hockey Cards - Part III

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Please point me in the right direction if a sub already exists. I can’t find one.

I’m looking for any HFb input for collecting cards. I’ve just started. I purchased just a few over the last months. I want to know which cards/packs? for 20-21’ I should purchase and where from (upper deck?)

I’m looking to “pull” a rookie Lafreniere card.

In the past few months I did pick up some cards which are Mike Richter signed rookie card, Henrik Lundqvist signed rookie card, Filip Chytil rookie card and Connor McDavid team Canada rookie card. I think all 4 cards are “rated” but I’m sure how to tell or what they are rated.

any help or guidance would be much appreciated as I am looking to get into this hobby with my 13 year old kid as well.
Thanks

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
This could be interesting. For beginning i want to know 2 things:
1. Why are the rookie cards so much hyped?
2. And why some of them are worth thousands of dollars and others only few?

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Problem with sets is they are heavy and hard to ship. The key is how mint the cards are. If you PM me and can take some snaps I can give you some ideas - now is a great time to sell, prices are stupid.
I'll dig in the garage tomorrow for the best cards that are in hard shell cases. I found the binder, here are some of the better samples.
Lx4Bijb.jpeg

Fioc62C.jpg

Z5Zeynx.jpeg

6AWVJ0a.jpg

hh51B7T.jpg

MkeO3Xn.jpg

TE2St19.jpeg

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Anyone use Mint grading?

I read they're better than KSA if you're comparing just the Canadian based companies
Their slabs are really nice, better than Beckett and they grade hard, go to their website, you can search pop counts, they grade as hard as Beckett IMO, and their prices are really great, same with turnaround time. I haven't used them yet but have researched them a fair bit and plan to use them when I submit my first order.

Alexis Lafreniere #201 population count.

MNT Grading 2(10) 68(9.5) 38(9)
Beckett Grading 1(10) 51(9.5) 35(9)
PSA Grading 83(10) 160(9) 35(8)

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
What do you guys do with your base cards?
I’ve done a few things over the years:
Store them in boxes (some in binders)
Sold in bulk to a dealer at a flea market (unfortunately that ended after he sold his business)
Sold complete base sets on Kijiji

Another thing I’ve done a lot of is use them as padding and as a bonus when mailing other cards. Usually my packages include 1-2 cards. I put 6 base (3 on each side) as extra padding and try to include a couple decent players, and players from teams I think they might appreciate

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Just noticed that prices are going stupid again after decades. I have a bunch of early 90's cards that probably aren't worth squat. I also have a bunch of pretty good 80's cards: Yzerman, Bourque, Fuhr, Francis, lot of good 2nd/3rd year cards for Gretzky, Kurri, Lemieux, etc etc etc but they aren't graded. Is is worthwhile to get them graded?

The early 90s cards are where the biggest movement is happening...not only in hockey either but definitely 90-91 and 91-92 hockey.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
The early 90s cards are where the biggest movement is happening...not only in hockey either but definitely 90-91 and 91-92 hockey.
Okay, now I'm really not sure what to do. I have pretty much every card from 90/91 and 91/92. Multiple copies of everything Upper Deck, ProSet, OPC and Parkhurst. Any decent online price guides? I looked at Beckett's website and apparently they want $35 which seems pretty steep.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Okay, now I'm really not sure what to do. I have pretty much every card from 90/91 and 91/92. Multiple copies of everything Upper Deck, ProSet, OPC and Parkhurst. Any decent online price guides? I looked at Beckett's website and apparently they want $35 which seems pretty steep.

eBay sold listings are the most accurate. Search for PSA 8 and that will tell you the heat on the card. All of the RCs of Jagr, Forsberg, Lidstrom and Hasek are fire. Collectors actually care about not only the first cards but also the cards that depict the player in the team's uniform. Any major player, especially a top 5 player of that time or a HOFer RC is good. Also, any mint Wayne Gretzky is good.

With these cards, we all know there's a kajillion copies out there so it's all about near mint to mint copies. PSA 8 is basically a pack fresh near mint card that maybe isn't perfectly centered or has a minor ding somewhere.

Last edited:

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Thanks, I'll take a look. Might just bulk it all out to a dealer, haven't got time to be listing and shipping 100's of cards.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Do you live in the states?

If you do, send to PSA. Their grading is a joke and it sells quite high. Not sure why people view them so highly, but if you're a selling you can get a nice profit from their weak grading system.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Do you live in the states?

If you do, send to PSA. Their grading is a joke and it sells quite high. Not sure why people view them so highly, but if you're a selling you can get a nice profit from their weak grading system.
No I'm in Canada. Again there are literally hundreds of cards. I probably have 5-10 each of every card so getting them all graded would be crazy I think.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I need a month or two off to go through all my stuff. Was looking through my autographs tonight and there's some nice ones in there. Some have been sitting in boxes for almost 50 years (have dates on them). Howe, Dryden, Hull, Imlach, Ballard, Clancy, Keon, Shack, Sittler, Storey, Ellis, Henderson etc. I see a PSA Clancy signed for like $1,200? Not sure if I should make a shadow box with them or what? Also a bunch of old beehive photos from the 50's as well as newspaper and magazine photos. Some really interesting stuff that just sits away in boxes for decades.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I’m interested in buying if you want to send me pics.
I already posted pics of most of most of the 80's cards. Besides that I have craploads of cards from 90/91 and 91/92, they are in in excellent shape, went from the pack to a cardboard storage box. I'm in Calgary, unless you are in town I'm not sure it would work, looks like you are in L.A.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I already posted pics of most of most of the 80's cards. Besides that I have craploads of cards from 90/91 and 91/92, they are in in excellent shape, went from the pack to a cardboard storage box. I'm in Calgary, unless you are in town I'm not sure it would work, looks like you are in L.A.
I’m actually not interested in the 80s and older cards. Maybe throw the lot up on eBay and send me the link and I’ll bid on it.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
I’m debating selling off some of my better cards. Prices are absurd right now.

I have a Mack YG and they’re going for close to $500 CAD on eBay.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I am stunned to find out early 90s cards are worth anything!

I mean 50% of us had a second childhood at that time there are literally millions of new out of pack grade cards. We all saved them nicely.

Anyhow haven't looked at them in years time to go through and move them I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad