GDT: In anticipation of a league-wide pause (it's here)

How long will the pause be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
The league's protocols that don't give cap relief and arbitrarily reschedule games are completely unsustainable. Canada's travel rules are just too much to handle with seven Canadian teams in the league. I'd be shocked if the NHL doesn't call a short pause to get their ducks in a row and figure out a path forward on international travel and game requirements.

Too many games are being rescheduled and teams are now being forced to play with multiple empty roster spots. They'd be out of their minds to continue like this in a gate-driven league.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Don't think they will shut down. Friedman already stressed the league doesn't want to play into July. He was just on Tim n Friends up here in Canada, on set.

Feel they will put stricter restrictions on players going out on road trips or even at home. No dinners out, no going to movies, etc.

They will ramp up testing again and hopefully bring back Taxi squad, especially for us in the sense, since FLA and SEA have two teams acting as one in Charlotte.

They should maybe add a roster spot for NHL in season end meetings between NHL and GMs or make a sliding scale, 3-5 player taxi squad permanent, in case of flare ups.

Reactions: kerrabria

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Might be a good two birds with one stone: pause the league and don’t go to ‘lympics, but use the time to catch up instead. (Yeah I know things are already scheduled in the arenas but there’s a will, there’s a way.)

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Don't think they will shut down. Friedman already stressed the league doesn't want to play into July. He was just on Tim n Friends up here in Canada, on set.

Feel they will put stricter restrictions on players going out on road trips or even at home. No dinners out, no going to movies, etc.

They will ramp up testing again and hopefully bring back Taxi squad, especially for us in the sense, since FLA and SEA have two teams acting as one in Charlotte.

They should maybe add a roster spot for NHL in season end meetings between NHL and GMs or make a sliding scale, 3-5 player taxi squad permanent, in case of flare ups.
I feel like adding a taxi Squad might be a given. Don't understand why they took that out this year, with the pandemic still ongoing.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
FLALive arena has events scheduled the following days in February:

12, 14, 27, 24 (Panthers game), 25, 26 (Panthers game), and 27.

Plenty of open dates available if players don't go to the Olympics.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
FLALive arena has events scheduled the following days in February:

12, 14, 27, 24 (Panthers game), 25, 26 (Panthers game), and 27.

Plenty of open dates available if players don't go to the Olympics.
We should offer to do a mini bubble. Bring 4-8 teams to South Florida to play their games (ideally teams that could not reschedule due arena problems)

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Yeah I think it's safe to say most, if not all players, will avoid the Olympics. Zero chance I would want to go to any other country during this pandemic. Let alone China.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018

Taxi squad does seem like a given. Question is, will they just make policies and adjust on the fly? Or will they pause for a little bit, get everybody on the same page, and move forward thusly.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
We should offer to do a mini bubble. Bring 4-8 teams to South Florida to play their games (ideally teams that could not reschedule due arena problems)
If it got to a point where there was a bubble, I don't think South Florida would be in the cards. Besides the quality-of-ice issues, I have a feeling people are gonna complain about putting the bubble in a place where there's no restrictions.

Although I'm still baffled why they didn't just keep the mini-series system where you play two or three games at a team at one location.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
COVID isn't going to go away anytime soon. We'll probably get 10 more variants till the media loses interest. At what point do sports simply just move on without testing unless a player shows symptoms?

If it got to a point where there was a bubble, I don't think South Florida would be in the cards. Besides the quality-of-ice issues, I have a feeling people are gonna complain about putting the bubble in a place where there's no restrictions.

Although I'm still baffled why they didn't just keep the mini-series system where you play two or three games at a team at one location.

The NBA did it in Orlando for 22 teams without issue.
Ice issue is probably valid though.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
COVID isn't going to go away anytime soon. We'll probably get 10 more variants till the media loses interest. At what point do sports simply just move on without testing unless a player shows symptoms?
There are simulations about how long the pandemic will last, and while they’re not the real deal obviously, they’re forecasts that have been flashing durations like 4-5 years total. We obviously hope that’s wrong but so far the world has seen 3 or 4 peaks of about the same magnitude and the peaks have been separated by about 110 days. So yeah, hopefully the mutations turn into less harmful variants and we truly start calling it a flu. Sounds like omicron is part of the way in that direction…

Reactions: ShootIt

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
hard to tell, belongs to the fact was two Sides of the Boarder will decide. If Canada shut down, or stop playing Hockey. What will the US Side do.
In Germany we are in some Parts back to ghost Games.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Taxi squad does seem like a given. Question is, will they just make policies and adjust on the fly? Or will they pause for a little bit, get everybody on the same page, and move forward thusly.

Only pause I can see is if Olympics are canceled and NHL pauses in that period to hammer out a new policy for health and another one regarding the frame work for another roster spot added to each team or the taxi squad is back.

But it feels like they should be doing that on the fly right now?
They keep saying they don't want to extend the season into July.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I read a report today that the East Coast has double there numbers of Infected during a single Day.
Also i get reports from europe that france will close the boardes with UK. Also from EU Denmark has really high raising in Numbers.

And the NFL Comission will decide this week if they go back to the old Covid Rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad