GDT: In anticipation of a league-wide pause (it's here)

How long will the pause be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Key question is whether the severity of omicron is low enough and whether it spreads rapidly and broadly enough so that covid starts being classified as an endemic status. If that happens, then covid is basically (almost) over, or should be.

Of course, that would bring mandates and regulations to a halt or at least to a much reduced level and I think there is a lot of fear (of different motivations) to allow that to happen.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Key question is whether the severity of omicron is low enough and whether it spreads rapidly and broadly enough so that covid starts being classified as an endemic status. If that happens, then covid is basically (almost) over, or should be.

Of course, that would bring mandates and regulations to a halt or at least to a much reduced level and I think there is a lot of fear (of different motivations) to allow that to happen.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

I think the main question is probability of re infection.

I will say that we don’t know much about ability to have peak performance with Covid so we need to be careful…not having bad symptoms=/= ability to perform as top .001 percent athlete

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC

Good point. But for the moment, I can understand the « fear » of Omicron. I think it’s too early to have a good idea of its severity.

But that’s how this pandemic will end indeed. When a variant will cause little to no hospitalizations. And it’s going to happen eventually. That’s what the virus « wants » actually (to not making people sick so then can continue their lives and infecting other people).

I’m just not sure we are there yet with Omicron. But maybe the next variant in 6 months or a year will be the one that makes COVID classified as endemic.

Reactions: harv33173 and KW

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Just because I'm salty Florida had to play a guarantee loss game when they'd have probably otherwise won (Kings aren't very good and at home) why is Toronto's game postponed with 4 guys out? Edmonton has 5 and they're playing. Some consistency would be nice.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
All crosd border games cancelled. Olympic postponement announcement should be coming soon. Just pause the season already...apparently the NHL intends to push through which is crazy

Reactions: harv33173

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
A complete shutdown will never happen to kill the virus. I believe the NHL should adopt an asymptomatic don't ask don't tell like the NFL (I realize this will not happen with Canada's policies). This virus is never going away, are leagues going to be shut down whenever there's a flareup forever because of it. Like the percent chance of a player dying from omicron is the same as being in a plane crash, are we going to ban flying too?

Reactions: kerrabria

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
A complete shutdown will never happen to kill the virus. I believe the NHL should adopt an asymptomatic don't ask don't tell like the NFL (I realize this will not happen with Canada's policies). This virus is never going away, are leagues going to be shut down whenever there's a flareup forever because of it. Like the percent chance of a player dying from omicron is the same as being in a plane crash, are we going to ban flying too?
I think the goal is to stop this speedy intra-team transmission: in general, we are contagious ~48 hours before testing psitive. (If you've been exposed to the coronavirus - Harvard Health) Most of the outbreaks on the teams (including us) show that the intra-day team transmission is going on and likely being spread before players test positive.

The idea is liley this: Take a few days, hope that players don't catch from home (but goal is probably preventing intra-team), test after 3-4 days when all positives from intra-team team transmission be known, and boom: intra-day transmission should be limited.

Reactions: zeroG

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
The NHL needs to either live with the virus, or they need to re-instate bubble play with no plans to go back to normal in the near or medium term future.

The league is in the worst spot of all sports. They have 32 teams (7 in Canada) with big rosters and big staffs that play Fall-Winter-Spring indoors while traveling multiple times per week. Plus the revolving door of minor leaguers coming and going.

There are no COVID protocols that are going to enable a normal NHL season. If there was any hope of that in the first place, Omicron has murdered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad