News: John Davidson: “…Boone's not going anywhere, and Boone doesn't want to go anywhere."

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
It'll be a lot easier to illustrate in a little under two weeks once Scott Wheeler at The Athletic finishes his prospect pool ranking countdown. Short version: we've got the kids necessary; what we need are the quality committed mentors to teach them.
I follow prospects enough to appreciate their pool but if I'm entering a rebuild then I'm looking to move a 30 y/o center whose value is sky high. I get your point about prospects learning how to be pros but a lot of guys can teach that. Zucker, Henrique, Perron, etc.

Also I mean I like Brindley a ton and Mateychuk, Jiricek for sure. No one knows what Dumais will be at the NHL level. They aren't "set" and can always use more cracks at it during a rebuild to find those higher end pieces.

At the end of the day they certainly can choose to keep him and I would understand it, I'm just looking at it from a different perspective. If I was a GM entering a rebuild I certainly would look at the return on him this year.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I follow prospects enough to appreciate their pool but if I'm entering a rebuild then I'm looking to move a 30 y/o center whose value is sky high. I get your point about prospects learning how to be pros but a lot of guys can teach that. Zucker, Henrique, Perron, etc.
And how many of those guys are all of:
1) strongly committed to Columbus
2) still current major contributors to the roster (i.e. not Yet Another #13F/#7D)
3) on a sweetheart "home team discount" contract?

Shockingly few are. Indeed, the low supply of such players (and their being in demand by literally everybody) is why Jenner's value is so high. It'd be like us talking about trading Fantilli for more picks.

"A Boone Jenner is a Boone Jenner but the mystery picks could be anything! They could even be traded for a Boone Jenner! You know how badly we need one of those!"

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Also I mean I like Brindley a ton and Mateychuk, Jiricek for sure. No one knows what Dumais will be at the NHL level. They aren't "set" and can always use more cracks at it during a rebuild to find those higher end pieces.

At the end of the day they certainly can choose to keep him and I would understand it, I'm just looking at it from a different perspective. If I was a GM entering a rebuild I certainly would look at the return on him this year.
It's not just that he is a leader but also he's an effective middle-6 player who can play C or W, is cost effective, has time left on his contract, and wants to stay.

I get trading away vets for value but you don't want to trade away a player who is working from a team where not many are. You want to keep those players to provide that vital framework of a lineup so you don't end up as an Edmonton or Buffalo who had all the young talent but no structure from vets.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
It's not just that he is a leader but also he's an effective middle-6 player who can play C or W, is cost effective, has time left on his contract, and wants to stay.

I get trading away vets for value but you don't want to trade away a player who is working from a team where not many are. You want to keep those players to provide that vital framework of a lineup so you don't end up as an Edmonton or Buffalo who had all the young talent but no structure from vets.
I get that. Which is why I offered up the other vets who you could maybe overpay to come to cbj and lead the young guys.

All depends on where CBJ goes from here I guess. I understand keeping him if you’re going to continue to try and re tool and win. But if you’re trying to offload guys and rebuild I don’t see it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I get that. Which is why I offered up the other vets who you could maybe overpay to come to cbj and lead the young guys.

All depends on where CBJ goes from here I guess. I understand keeping him if you’re going to continue to try and re tool and win. But if you’re trying to offload guys and rebuild I don’t see it.
We're in neither state at the moment. The "offload guys and rebuild" phase was the past couple of years during which we drafted all of (among others) KJ, Sillinger, Jiricek, Mateychuk, and Fantilli. We're now at an intermediate stage between that and "win now".

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
We're in neither state at the moment. The "offload guys and rebuild" phase was the past couple of years during which we drafted all of (among others) KJ, Sillinger, Jiricek, Mateychuk, and Fantilli. We're now at an intermediate stage between that and "win now".
Yeah makes some sense. Question is.. how long does it take in that intermediate phase and can you get that done and do your prospects supplement it fast enough?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah makes some sense. Question is.. how long does it take in that intermediate phase and can you get that done and do your prospects supplement it fast enough?
That is a pretty big question, no doubt. But either way, it doesn't make sense for us to be moving Jenner now. Or possibly even next year.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That question isn't as relevant to whether to keep Boone Jenner. We don't know if he'll still be good when/if we get to a competitive window. But he helps our young talent develop so that we can get there.

Look around the league, there have been so many failed rebuilds where the young talent was good enough but didn't develop the right professional habits, or they didn't have the on ice structure to properly develop in. The talent has already arrived in Columbus, the only question is whether they are developed properly.

Reactions: Chainshot and Viqsi

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021

yes but he isn't helping you win and you won't be winning anytime soon so. Add to the fact Davidson will be canned and it seems strange to hold onto him.

I guess it means a.lot that someone wants to stay in Columbus

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
yes but he isn't helping you win and you won't be winning anytime soon so. Add to the fact Davidson will be canned and it seems strange to hold onto him.

I guess it means a.lot that someone wants to stay in Columbus
It's about what is best for the development of Fantilli and Jiricek. What is best is having Jenner around.

Teams that remove all quality veteran players when they rebuild tend to have their rebuilds go very poorly because then their rosters are too young and inexperienced.

Reactions: Viqsi

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I can't believe people think this is a smokescreen.

If it were a smokescreen, some beat writer would come out with a piece about hearing a "rumor" that Jenner is staying put. That has happened before.

When the president of the team comes out and says it himself, that's completely different.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
"We get a lot of calls on Boone [Jenner], but Boone's not going anywhere, and Boone doesn't want to go anywhere."

Bo knows golf

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I can't believe people think this is a smokescreen.

If it were a smokescreen, some beat writer would come out with a piece about hearing a "rumor" that Jenner is staying put. That has happened before.

When the president of the team comes out and says it himself, that's completely different.
Why would you want 100% transparency from a President if you were a fan of a team? This baffles me. My ideal GM/President would not be completely transparent. If they are transparent they aren't doing their job very well.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why would you want 100% transparency from a President if you were a fan of a team? This baffles me. My ideal GM/President would not be completely transparent. If they are transparent they aren't doing their job very well.
I'm not going to speculate on the situation in Columbus or if JD did the right thing, but secrecy is not always a blanket correct response.

They have a base of STH to worry about and people in the fanbase identify with Jenner. They might feel that reassuring the fans that he's in the plans going forward is a good business move.

If they're absolutely dead set on not dealing him, then they don't have to really worry about the value implications of announcing it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Just in case y'all didn't hear him the first few times... courtesy @CBJWerenski8:
“We have no intentions of trading him, no,” Davidson said. “I don’t think there’s any good reasons to. I get lots of calls on Boone. Boone wants to be a Blue Jacket. Boone’s happy to be a Blue Jacket. He wants to lead us out of where we are right now and help get us to where we want to go.”
No contending GM who’s thinking straight could come close to offering what it would likely take for Davidson to part with his captain right now. He’s too valuable to what the Jackets are trying to become.

“You need leaders,” Davidson said. “He’s a Blue Jacket. So, when you’re a Blue Jacket, you’re a Blue Jacket. Everybody’s gonna call and they’re going to ask about him, and why wouldn’t they? I accept that, but he’s a Blue Jacket and he’s staying a Blue Jacket.”

Reiterating one bit that might get easily overlooked:
No contending GM who’s thinking straight could come close to offering what it would likely take for Davidson to part with his captain right now. He’s too valuable to what the Jackets are trying to become.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
Columbus prior to Torts had a history of being like a retirement home for Vets who were past their prime getting overpaid on a final deal to just play out a few years without pressure. This city is done with that mentality. There is a reason the locker room had a "country club" feel. The city is not the best for young players who want the club scene or big endorsement deals, but it is also not the worst.
This has played into the above idea that any veteran can come in a play out their golden years without pressure to win.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Why would we overpay for someone when we are underpaying someone to do exactly what we want, who already has a good relationship with the kids and the city and town loves? What so we can have more darts to throw at the board? We have a lot of contracts to worry about over the 3-4 years, the last thing we need is to overpay in FA or in a trade for a major question mark.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
And yet we're going to continue to get proposals over and over from now 'till the end of his contract, because the vultures just can't help themselves, take "no" for an answer, or see us as anything other than a farm team. As usual.
Yeah, the tradeboards in a nutshell. I'm looking forward to the drai and McDavid threads that are coming. Not reason to get that upset about it, it's all fantasy and make believe anyways, from randos on the internet

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Why would we overpay for someone when we are underpaying someone to do exactly what we want, who already has a good relationship with the kids and the city and town loves? What so we can have more darts to throw at the board? We have a lot of contracts to worry about over the 3-4 years, the last thing we need is to overpay in FA or in a trade for a major question mark.
Well because Boone has a ton of value due to his contract. Also assumed CBJ would continue to take a step back to enter a more formal rebuild/retool.

Doesn’t make sense to trade him otherwise obviously.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah, the tradeboards in a nutshell. I'm looking forward to the drai and McDavid threads that are coming. Not reason to get that upset about it, it's all fantasy and make believe anyways, from randos on the internet
It's easier to ignore it when it doesn't come with the background insinuations of "you and your team don't deserve to exist". But yeah, I can already imagine the incoming wave of "you can't afford to extend Draisaitl, trade him to us for pennies" threads. Especially if there's an early playoff exit and they decide y'all clearly have to rebuild because something something reasons gimmie shinies. :dunno:

* * *​
Well because Boone has a ton of value due to his contract. Also assumed CBJ would continue to take a step back to enter a more formal rebuild/retool.

Doesn’t make sense to trade him otherwise obviously.
Ostensibly we could have taken such a step back, but frankly we've already got all the kinds of kids we'd be getting from such a process so there's no real need to do so. The attempted retool failed that badly. :laugh: :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad