News: John Davidson: “…Boone's not going anywhere, and Boone doesn't want to go anywhere."

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Well because Boone has a ton of value due to his contract. Also assumed CBJ would continue to take a step back to enter a more formal rebuild/retool.

Doesn’t make sense to trade him otherwise obviously.
We don't need to do a formal rebuild, we need to identify which veterans we want to keep and which ones we want to move. Jenner has been identified as one of the established players we want to keep. The pieces that we would realistically get back aren't worth it. If it's anything less than a top 15 pick and a blue chip prospect, it's not worth it.

Obviously Boone isn't worth that in a vacuum, but when half the league wants him, when he's on a sweetheart deal and when he's publicly stated that he DOESNT WANT TO BE TRADED, the Jackets are allowed to set whatever price we want because we don't want to trade him unless someone matches that asking price

Reactions: McJedi and Viqsi

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Frankly, I'd be a little worried when a veteran player on a bottom-feeding team like the Jackets declares that 'they don't want to be traded'.

I thought the burning desire of every player who laces up his skates in the NHL, is to make the playoffs and win a Stanley Cup. That probably isn't happening in Columbus for at least the next five years.....and at that point, Jenner will be out of hockey.

When you're team like Columbus.....at the bottom of the standings and having just fired your GM, no player should be 'untouchable'.

Reactions: Alienblood

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
We don't need to do a formal rebuild, we need to identify which veterans we want to keep and which ones we want to move. Jenner has been identified as one of the established players we want to keep. The pieces that we would realistically get back aren't worth it. If it's anything less than a top 15 pick and a blue chip prospect, it's not worth it.

Obviously Boone isn't worth that in a vacuum, but when half the league wants him, when he's on a sweetheart deal and when he's publicly stated that he DOESNT WANT TO BE TRADED, the Jackets are allowed to set whatever price we want because we don't want to trade him unless someone matches that asking price
I mean I agree with you on the high price and stuff. My only argument was if the price is that high on a guy in a career year that’s over 30 you atleast entertain it

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Is Boone his actual real first name? You can't trade him. His name alone just sounds like it belongs in Columbus

Sounds like a cannon firing. Booooone Jennnner!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Frankly, I'd be a little worried when a veteran player on a bottom-feeding team like the Jackets declares that 'they don't want to be traded'.

I thought the burning desire of every player who laces up his skates in the NHL, is to make the playoffs and win a Stanley Cup. That probably isn't happening in Columbus for at least the next five years.....and at that point, Jenner will be out of hockey.

When you're team like Columbus.....at the bottom of the standings and having just fired your GM, no player should be 'untouchable'.
Hmm. I wonder if this has been covered earlier in the thread already.
I think we should add to that that some guys feel a strong competitive desire to win with the teammates they have.

It feels strange to me that people think competitive spirit entails quitting the team you're on. It's the opposite!
Oh, hey, would you look at that.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I mean I agree with you on the high price and stuff. My only argument was if the price is that high on a guy in a career year that’s over 30 you atleast entertain it
I don't think that the CBJ front office is sticking their fingers in their ears and not listening, but they've set a high bar and have 0 interest in trading him unless you offer up a stupid deal that probably isn't worth it.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Youngest team in the league...trading the kids for more kids seems redundant...allowing the current ones to grow and play seems like a good idea
4th last and not one guy that doesn't come off as a bad fit that could be traded for picks? Vets to insulate the kids, you can always sign in the off season

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
4th last and not one guy that doesn't come off as a bad fit that could be traded for picks? Vets to insulate the kids, you can always sign in the off season
Sure there are players to trade...but you have to have teams that want to take those players...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Feel free to inquire after Jack Roslovic and/or Ivan Provorov.

And we don't need insulators, we need mentors. Those are in much higher demand.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hmm. I wonder if this has been covered earlier in the thread already.

Oh, hey, would you look at that.
I guess if Boone Jenner wants to stay put in Columbus and spend the rest of his career 'insulating the kids' in a losing effort, then it's his decision and his career.

But the fact is that a majority of NHL players retire without ever getting close to the Stanley Cup. And there's hardly one of them that doesn't end up regretting it.

• Haha
Reactions: Alienblood and Fro

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I guess if Boone Jenner wants to stay put in Columbus and spend the rest of his career 'insulating the kids' in a losing effort, then it's his decision and his career.

But the fact is that a majority of NHL players retire without ever getting close to the Stanley Cup. And there's hardly one of them that doesn't end up regretting it.
1708566146901.png

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Feel free to inquire after Jack Roslovic and/or Ivan Provorov.

And we don't need insulators, we need mentors. Those are in much higher demand.
This isn’t a guy I’d target but what’s the ask for

Jack Roslovic

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I haven't checked the full thread so I'm not sure if the stupid question I'm going to ask has been asked. But is Jenner beloved so much that if Davidson offered Davidson Bedard for Jenner, would Columbus turn down the deal?

Viqsi is going to give me a poison cookie....

Reactions: Alienblood

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
If "having full confidence" in a guy, then firing him later that season is entirely a fine thing to do, I don't see how saying a player likes playing there and you want to keep, then trading him, would be outside the realm of possibility. Especially when there will be a new GM coming in soon who might see things differently.

Also, if you admit that its just a matter of getting enough trade value, why are you insulted when someone says its a way of increasing trade value?
Having confidence in someone is something that can change. Just because I'm confident you'll respond positively, doesn't mean I'll feel that way after seeing your response. And your response will take what, hours, days? We're talking months in this case.

I think they were intentionally vague and noncommittal for situations like this.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I haven't checked the full thread so I'm not sure if the stupid question I'm going to ask has been asked. But is Jenner beloved so much that if Davidson offered Davidson Bedard for Jenner, would Columbus turn down the deal?

Viqsi is going to give me a poison cookie....
Bedard as in Connor Bedard? That'd obviously very definitely qualify as a "too good to turn down" type offer, but there's also obviously not a snowball's chance in hell of that scenario ever coming to pass.

Reactions: Judas Tavares

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad