Player Discussion John Gibson

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I could see a potential EDM trade there but we’d probably have to take Campbell back and EDM would have to significantly add to that for it to even be considered.

I’d probably just keep Gibson.

Idk that oilers make much sense from our stand point anymore.

Sabres make sense
UPL + olofsson(cap dump) + wing prospect(Kulich, ostlund, Rosen etc )

For gibson
- Sabres have a ton of wingers coming, and not a ton of spaces we should def be targeting them…. If we can get a winger for gibson with upside that would be huge.

Devils also make sense but a lot harder to do around the cap

I think Toronto o and Detroit also could be partners.

Last edited:

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
I don’t think a Dostal/Gibson tandem the next 2-3 years is bad at all, in fact I think it’ll be above average.

Dostal’s excellent value contract makes Gibbys deal palatable
I don't think either goalie will be happy with a 2-3 year 1A/1B situation.

They are under contract and it's the team's right to manage their roster as they like, but it's not ideal for keeping both players motivated. We will know by the end of this year if Dostal is ready for a 40-50 game workload and Gibson will be closer towards the end of his contract and becomes easier to move as his contract gets shorter.

At some point Dostal will get handed the job and the team will try to move Gibson for a cheaper backup goalie and/or futures unless John stays healthy and regains his form.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I don't think either goalie will be happy with a 2-3 year 1A/1B situation.

They are under contract and it's the team's right to manage their roster as they like, but it's not ideal for keeping both players motivated. We will know by the end of this year if Dostal is ready for a 40-50 game workload and Gibson will be closer towards the end of his contract and becomes easier to move as his contract gets shorter.

At some point Dostal will get handed the job and the team will try to move Gibson for a cheaper backup goalie and/or futures unless John stays healthy and regains his form.
I think this is the old school line of thinking that has been proven outdated the last couple years. 1A/1B working fine in Vegas and Boston

I don’t know how optimal it is for one guy to play 65 games anymore. You’re better off keeping guys fresh

A 55/45 or 60/40 split makes sense

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I think this is the old school line of thinking that has been proven outdated the last couple years. 1A/1B working fine in Vegas and Boston

I don’t know how optimal it is for one guy to play 65 games anymore. You’re better off keeping guys fresh

I also feel that it's keeps the internal competition going

Reactions: AngelDuck

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

We can do that was a bunch of diff goalies tho, doesn’t have to be gibson.

If gibson has positive trade value might be worth it… specially if a golaie is coming back in trade

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

Yeah, they stopped that heavy workload when it became apparent that the guys getting 60+ games were doing more poorly in the playoffs.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
We can do that was a bunch of diff goalies tho, doesn’t have to be gibson.

If gibson has positive trade value might be worth it… specially if a golaie is coming back in trade
Gibson doesn’t have positive trade value and never will the rest of his contract

Doesn’t mean he’s some liability for us on the ice, just the reality of a hard cap league

I think a buyout of his last 1-2 years could make some sense but paying a hefty price in assets to get rid of him right now makes zero sense

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
He predicted the Ducks would finish dead last in the league this season, even when his other podcast-mates said the Sharks would be worse.
1699211225503.jpeg

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Gibson doesn’t have positive trade value and never will the rest of his contract

Doesn’t mean he’s some liability for us on the ice, just the reality of a hard cap league

I think a buyout of his last 1-2 years could make some sense but paying a hefty price in assets to get rid of him right now makes zero sense
I still think he returns some decent value to the right team. That's why I mentioned EDM earlier. They're desperate and supposed to be in win now mode. I could see them sacrificing some of their future for Gibson.

We take Campbell and they add Holloway and a first...maybe even add more....I honestly could see them entertaining that if they keep trending in the wrong direction. Oiler fans I talk to would love to see them acquire Gibson.

The only way I see us looking at a deal like that is if Gibson wanted out. When he's been healthy, he's been a workhorse for us. Does he want to share the net with Dostal? Does he want less games? I'm genuinely curious what he thinks about that. If he is ok with being the 1B, I'd rather just keep him.

Right now I think Dostal is the better goaltender and it is only a matter of time till he's getting the bigger games.

• Haha
Reactions: AngelDuck

slippingsloth

Jul 18, 2022
I just dont want campbell back

I would prefer keeping gibby unless we get something reasonable back. The njd or sabres thoughts at least entertain me.

To me please no long term below avg goalie contract coming back

Reactions: Ducks DVM

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I just dont want campbell back

I would prefer keeping gibby unless we get something reasonable back. The njd or sabres thoughts at least entertain me.

To me please no long term below avg goalie contract coming back
Teams can't afford Gibson's contract unless we take a bad contract back. And a bad goalie contract is the easiest solution given he would replace their current goalie. Otherwise, he can't really go anywhere.

slippingsloth

Jul 18, 2022
Teams can't afford Gibson's contract unless we take a bad contract back. And a bad goalie contract is the easiest solution given he would replace their current goalie. Otherwise, he can't really go anywhere.
I understand but 5 years of soup is too much. I could stomach 1-2 years of bad goalie contract. Or a usable backup

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I understand but 5 years of soup is too much. I could stomach 1-2 years of bad goalie contract. Or a usable backup
Campbell's deal ends at the same time as Gibson's (4 years including this one). There really aren't any short-term bad goalie contracts that would make sense. Vanecek and Husso aren't that great, but their cap hits aren't that bad.

slippingsloth

Jul 18, 2022
Campbell's deal ends at the same time as Gibson's (4 years including this one). There really aren't any short-term bad goalie contracts that would make sense. Vanecek and Husso aren't that great, but their cap hits aren't that bad.
Understood. Just unless there was a real sweetener why would u want soup instead of gibby?

Reactions: Ducks DVM

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Understood. Just unless there was a real sweetener why would u want soup instead of gibby?
You wouldn't. And the only real reason to trade Gibson, in my opinion, is if he doesn't want to be here anymore. In that scenario, I'd consider a Gibson for Campbell swap. The deal I was thinking of in my mind was something like Gibson + Jones for Campbell + Foegele + 1st/top forward prospect. The cap is about even for both sides and we get an expiring forward contract plus a good asset. You could also swap Jones for Carrick, Leason, or whoever.

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
You wouldn't. And the only real reason to trade Gibson, in my opinion, is if he doesn't want to be here anymore. In that scenario, I'd consider a Gibson for Campbell swap. The deal I was thinking of in my mind was something like Gibson + Jones for Campbell + Foegele + 1st/top forward prospect. The cap is about even for both sides and we get an expiring forward contract plus a good asset. You could also swap Jones for Carrick, Leason, or whoever.
This is what I was getting at. IF and only IF he asks out then a Gibson for Campbell++ deal makes sense. I don’t want Campbell either and would rather just keep Gibson.

Reactions: duxfan1101

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
The ship has sailed on a Gibson trade. I wouldn’t be shocked if his last year or two were bought out, particularly if Clang becomes an NHL option by then but a trade ain’t happening
If he can keep up his play from tonight. He will definitely be on the radar for a few times, especially if the ducks retain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad