Injury Report: Kase out for the season

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I’m not. Tanking is instilling a losers mentality in the dressing room and more often than not results in failure.

Losing Kase sucks but we still have a team talented enough to compete under a decent coach. **** tanking when we could just fire Carlyle and make a run at the playoffs, I have no doubt we get in under a new voice as long as they’re somewhat competent.
It isn't a tear-down tank. Losing in 2011 didn't destroy the franchise either.

The best thing for this franchise in my opinion would be to bottom out this year and reboot healthy, with a new coach and fresh start next season. We aren't trying to trade Getzlaf and lose for the next three years.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
It isn't a tear-down tank. Losing in 2011 didn't destroy the franchise either.

The best thing for this franchise in my opinion would be to bottom out this year and reboot healthy, with a new coach and fresh start next season. We aren't trying to trade Getzlaf and lose for the next three years.

We tried to make a run of it in 2012, our record down the stretch was very good it wasn’t close to a tank. Not to mention Murray didn’t sell much at the deadline.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I’m not. Tanking is instilling a losers mentality in the dressing room and more often than not results in failure.

Losing Kase sucks but we still have a team talented enough to compete under a decent coach. **** tanking when we could just fire Carlyle and make a run at the playoffs, I have no doubt we get in under a new voice as long as they’re somewhat competent.
That new voice is coming soon enough to change the trajectory of the team. So we're either finishing with a pick in the 11-18 range or we can bottom out and pick top 6.

I think I know what I'm rooting for

Besides, it's not an actual tank. It's just a rare bad year that happens for every team. They need to capitalize on that bad year by getting a good young forward in the draft. The franchise will be better for it

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I kinda wonder what people are defining as a "difference." Our record with and without is essentially the same, bad either way. He hasn't had a goal in a month. I like him and he's having a nice year but this changes nothing.

Yeah I was just looking into the records with and without him and it’s not hugely different. We won 13 of 30 games with him and 8 of 20 without.

Reactions: The Baffled King

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Man, this sucks. The guy can't catch a break. Did he hurt something rehabbing to come back or was it an earlier injury that got aggravated? I'm not anything close to an expert so I'm probably wrong but that injury really didn't look like it could have been a torn labrum. Looked like a broken hand or wrist.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
That new voice is coming soon enough to change the trajectory of the team. So we're either finishing with a pick in the 11-18 range or we can bottom out and pick top 6.

I think I know what I'm rooting for

Besides, it's not an actual tank. It's just a rare bad year that happens for every team. They need to capitalize on that bad year by getting a good young forward in the draft. The franchise will be better for it

I just disagree with the whole idea of tanking, why should fans invest time and money into a team that isn’t trying to win or be entertaining at least (which isn’t happening under this coach).

The nhl doesn’t help even with the lottery odds changing. There’s an easy way to fix tanking (the top draft picks should go to the teams in order of those with the most points after being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs) but they still insist on keeping the same system.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
We tried to make a run of it in 2012, our record down the stretch was very good it wasn’t close to a tank. Not to mention Murray didn’t sell much at the deadline.
It wasn't very good. It was good in January and February though, I'll give you that. The last six weeks were bad.

And for clarification's sake, "tanking" to me in this case means pretty much staying the course and probably trying to move salary at the deadline. Not tearing anything down. At this rate tanking is just doing what we are doing.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I just disagree with the whole idea of tanking, why should fans invest time and money into a team that isn’t trying to win or be entertaining at least (which isn’t happening under this coach).
Yeah well a coaching change isn't happening this season so we might as well shoot for what'll help this franchise going forward

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
There is a longer term goal (the cup) that isn't attainable this season. If getting an elite prospect at the draft pushes us toward that goal farther than another first round slaughter then I am for that.

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
There's also no point in trying to sneak into one of the wildcard spots if they're just going to be slaughtered by Winnipeg in the first round. The only upside is a couple million in revenue from 2 more home games.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania

The nhl doesn’t help even with the lottery odds changing. There’s an easy way to fix tanking (the top draft picks should go to the teams in order of those with the most points after being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs) but they still insist on keeping the same system.

Just give every team that misses the playoffs the same odds and it'll remove any purposeful complete teardown type tanking. I don't mind the full tanking / complete rebuild for a top pick philosophy though. It leads to more trades and thankfully we haven't had to go down that road so it's not something that bothers me.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
There's also no point in trying to sneak into one of the wildcard spots if they're just going to be slaughtered by Winnipeg in the first round. The only upside is a couple million in revenue from 2 more home games.

The players will continue to play for their jobs and pride as they should. GMBM has shown pretty good judgement in the past as to when to buy and when to sell. I think he'll be a seller this year despite the Ducks being close to a wildcard spot. Not going to be a fire sale though.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Kase's not much of a difference maker this year. This isn't really a drastic change for people to be freaking out over the season. Trajectory does not change. If you want to freak out about something, do it about his future.
Not sure what you are watching but he was one of 2 guys on the team that could drive a line. He was amazing with Getz, then anchored the Ritchie line and that line quickly became our best and we saw huge strides from Ritchie. Kase was dominant winning puck battles, controlling possession and creating.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I think fans misinterpret what tanking is. You dont go to your players and tell them to try less hard. Quite the opposite actually. You sell your older guys for picks and prospects and you give your young guys meaningful minutes and see who can win a spot. With an established veteran team often there isnt even spots available to try out for because they teams dont want to waste a young kids development with less minutes and a less meaningful role (checking line). When you open up those spots the intensity should go up as you have a ton of young kids fighting for spots. They may not be very good yet and you will lose but they will develop and should play with speed and intensity.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
sucks that he's turning out to be one of those guys who can never stay healthy like eaves

this isn't as bad as it usually would be though. this team's going nowhere and he'll have plenty of time to recover, rehab, and get ready for next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad