Confirmed with Link: Kleven signed to ELC. Welcome aboard the K-Train

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Neil knew how to take Chara down by getting in tight to take away Chara's immense advantage in reach. Chara had tremendous strength though.

I remember seeing Jim Kyte fight in his first game for the Jets. He had such a wide stance and demolished his challenger.

Need a "stretcher" for some but Kleven seems to have virtually the height aspect nailed down. :)

I met Jim Kyte at his house on the lake once while doing a delivery for EQ3, he is massive.

Reactions: Cosmix

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
See Kleven as a Bieksa / Shane Hnidy cross. Even if he can’t play top 4 like Bieksa did as a bottom pairing like Hnidy he’ll be solid and smart

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
See Kleven as a Bieksa / Shane Hnidy cross. Even if he can’t play top 4 like Bieksa did as a bottom pairing like Hnidy he’ll be solid and smart

Nah man, Kleven is better at hockey than The Sherriff whom I have seen live donning the Sens jersey. Had balls of steel though, taking on fights out of his weight class for the team.

Bieksa was a tough blue liner and is a better fighter (not much of that in college hockey), Kleven has a better shot and appears to be physically more punishing with his hits. I will be ecstatic if Kleven has the same impact as Bieksa had with the Nucks.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Nah man, Kleven is better at hockey than The Sherriff whom I have seen live donning the Sens jersey. Had balls of steel though, taking on fights out of his weight class for the team.

Bieksa was a tough blue liner and is a better fighter (not much of that in college hockey), Kleven has a better shot and appears to be physically more punishing with his hits. I will be ecstatic if Kleven has the same impact as Bieksa had with the Nucks.
Developmentally Bieksa didn’t make full time NHL until +6 seasons after his draft and after being drafted played 3 full season in college and a full AHL season (and another half AHL season before becoming a full time NHLer)

So Kleven is on track

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Andy Sutton and Mike commodore sound like 2 ex senators that weren't necessarily as good fighters pound for pound as hnidy, but were big physical D that were better at hockey than Shane hnidy.

Wonder if he fits somewhere in their mold.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Andy Sutton and Mike commodore sound like 2 ex senators that weren't necessarily as good fighters pound for pound as hnidy, but were big physical D that were better at hockey than Shane hnidy.

I say we can aim a bit higher, according to Garrioch he's a Dion Phaneuf in the making. It's a Boo Boo uneducated comparison, don't agree with it personally but shows how highly he is thought of by the Sens brass.

K-Train has all the tools to be a bruising top-4, might even get PP2 time eventually with that bomb. But I think he will take a minute, much like other big prospects, to make an immediate impact. He is no longer the biggest guy on the ice, but he will grow into one eventually.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I say we can aim a bit higher, according to Garrioch he's a Dion Phaneuf in the making, although Phaneuf was arguably nastier in his Calgary days.

K-Train has all the tools to be a bruising top-4, might even get PP2 time eventually with that bomb. But I think he will take a minute, much like other big prospects, to make an immediate impact. He is no longer the biggest guy on the ice, but he will grow into one eventually.
That Phaneuf comparison is very off the mark. He is no Dion Phaneuf in his prime.

Reactions: armani

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
That Phaneuf comparison is very off the mark. He is no Dion Phaneuf in his prime.

I agree, Phaneuf played in a much more physical league and was a top pairing defenceman to begin his career. I guess the point is that the Sens brass are super high on Kleven's progression this season. Phaneuf is Boo Boo's uneducated pipe dream I suppose.

I see a bruising top-4 defenceman who may play PP2 if he hits all his notes. Physical bottom pairing defenceman who can hit and shoot as his floor.

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I say we can aim a bit higher, according to Garrioch he's a Dion Phaneuf in the making, although Phaneuf was arguably nastier in his Calgary days.

I feel like Phaneuf is a pipe dream.

Phaneuf came into the NHL putting up 49,50, and 60 points including 20 goals.

If kleven put up half those numbers we would be ecstatic.

I really don't get the Phaneuf comparison. To me, the 10-30 points guys like Sutton and Commodore put up regularly in a full season is a heck of a lot more along the lines of expectations from kleven.

Expecting a guy who could be top 10 in Norris votes in prime years like with Phaneuf seems extremely unrealistic.

Reactions: Cosmix and armani

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Oh f***, I would be very pleased if Kleven came in as a Sutton type player. Sutton was so good here.

Reactions: Bileur

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Oh f***, I would be very pleased if Kleven came in as a Sutton type player. Sutton was so good here.
I really liked Sutton and did not like his disappearance of the team.

He added huge size and physicality to the D. I have always liked having big agile bruisers on D as long as they were not defensive liabilities. But I still want my policeman as a 4th line F.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad