LD Sam Dickinson - London Knights, OHL (2024 Draft)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
He's got a lot of work to do on zone exits for sure.

Reminds me a lot of Bouchard when he broke in with the Knights. Rough around the edges with decision making, but loads of potential offensively.
Agreed - He has the confidence in his game which is always something you want in a defender but he isn’t yet used to playing against people 4 years his senior and turnovers are coming because of it. I like the Bouchard comp, but Dickinson is more physical.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Saw the Knights tonight.

Positives:
Strong skater
Confidence
Physical
Sound posiitionally and smart

Negatives:
Had a tendency to get too far up in the rush
Shot didn't look like much

Overall a very very good prospect. Already looks like an 18/19 year old out there. He is going to be very good playing alongside Montgomery, Mailloux and George all season. Knights D is solid.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Saw the Knights tonight.

Positives:
Strong skater
Confidence
Physical
Sound posiitionally and smart

Negatives:
Had a tendency to get too far up in the rush
Shot didn't look like much

Overall a very very good prospect. Already looks like an 18/19 year old out there. He is going to be very good playing alongside Montgomery, Mailloux and George all season. Knights D is solid.
May I refer you to this post for his shot:

He's already eclipsing, in my eyes, what Bouchard showed as a 16 year old in London. Dickinson has been the full package so far: creative breakout passer, skilled at carrying the puck out of the zone through danger, lethal shot, creative in the offensive zone, smooth skater, physical, etc.

He'll make mistakes, but people need to accept that the best defensemen will always be turnover prone because they try things that mediocre players won't.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
May I refer you to this post for his shot:

He's already eclipsing, in my eyes, what Bouchard showed as a 16 year old in London. Dickinson has been the full package so far: creative breakout passer, skilled at carrying the puck out of the zone through danger, lethal shot, creative in the offensive zone, smooth skater, physical, etc.

He'll make mistakes, but people need to accept that the best defensemen will always be turnover prone because they try things that mediocre players won't.
Wow! Cannon right there....didnt see that last week against Soo. Can't wait to watch this kid grow.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
He looks very good, plays like a vet. I was watching for Mailloux and noticed #3, then searched for who he was. Was surprised to see he was only 16 years old.

Reactions: Lavar Ball

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Poise, skating, size, physicality, confidence - he will be a top 10 pick next year.

Potentially even top 5.

That high? I believe it. I just don't know the overall landscape of prospects as well as you do, so I kept it conservative.

Really liked what I saw of him, and I wasn't even watching for him.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he's a very likely top 10 pick. Maybe top 5. Don't see him as someone to contend for 1OA in 2024 as of now.

He's a very good defensive player. Big, physical, good positioning, good stick-work, good defensive processing. He also skates very well for his size. He has offensive ability without a doubt, but I think he makes a lot of lazy plays with the puck where he loses it unnecessarily trying to do something fancy when he's not some small PP dynamo. He has ability with the puck, but not so much that he can flip the puck on his backhand in a tight window and complete all his passes. He needs to make simpler plays with the puck under pressure. He can certainly be a first pair defenseman in the NHL, and maybe a 1. Good chance he ends up a high pick in 2024. Reminds me a little of like a left-handed Jacob Trouba.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

I think he's a very likely top 10 pick. Maybe top 5. Don't see him as someone to contend for 1OA in 2024 as of now.

He's a very good defensive player. Big, physical, good positioning, good stick-work, good defensive processing. He also skates very well for his size. He has offensive ability without a doubt, but I think he makes a lot of lazy plays with the puck where he loses it unnecessarily trying to do something fancy when he's not some small PP dynamo. He has ability with the puck, but not so much that he can flip the puck on his backhand in a tight window and complete all his passes. He needs to make simpler plays with the puck under pressure. He can certainly be a first pair defenseman in the NHL, and maybe a 1. Good chance he ends up a high pick in 2024. Reminds me a little of like a left-handed Jacob Trouba.

He reminds me a lot of Alex Pietrangelo at the same age.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Very promising player. Stands out in a lot of areas at a young age already. However, I noticed him and MacKinnon get caught/pinned a lot in their own zone and sometimes even behind the net and along the boards. He's playing against a very aggressive Petes forecheck and he's still young and is gonna figure it out but he has to either make better use of his body to protect both himself and the puck. Or he has to make better, faster decisions with the puck in high danger areas but currently he keeps on getting hit hard and turning over pucks. He's pretty impressive against the puck though and his skating is great for the big man he is. With time and the puck on his stick he can make plays as well.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad