LD Sam Dickinson - London Knights, OHL (2024 Draft)

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
I would say he is a bigger, stronger version of Jamie Drysdale. Interesting to note that Sam actually grew up trying to model is game after Jamie. He’d stay behind after his game for a couple hours so he could watch the older Drysdale play in Toronto. Both players are good skaters who are excellent at distributing the puck. Sam has a better shot though and he got some help with that from his teammate Mailloux.
Depending on team need I think he goes as high as 2nd over all and no later than 6th.

Reactions: cheechoo

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I would say he is a bigger, stronger version of Jamie Drysdale. Interesting to note that Sam actually grew up trying to model is game after Jamie. He’d stay behind after his game for a couple hours so he could watch the older Drysdale play in Toronto. Both players are good skaters who are excellent at distributing the puck. Sam has a better shot though and he got some help with that from his teammate Mailloux.
Depending on team need I think he goes as high as 2nd over all and no later than 6th.
That's a cool story (seriously), but they skate differently (Dickinson a lot more power, while Drysdale more nimble), and their puck games are different (Drysdale very clean breakouts and has very good puck skills, while Dickinson hands betray him a good amount).

Dickinson is a powerful defenseman defenseman with some offense to his game. Drysdale is a puck-moving defenseman that you hope can put up points, and play good enough defense.

Dickinson reminds me a lot of Kaiden Guhle.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
A bigger, stronger version of Jamie with a better shot is like Makar and easily the number 1 pick in the draft.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Some people are expecting too much.

The Pietrangelo comparison is very lazy. They don’t even shoot the same way. Finding an NHL All-Star the same height to compare to a Top 10 pick isn’t the way to go.

If he ends up Pietrangelo, he’ll be a top 3-4 player from his draft, and if you knew you are getting Pietrangelo you are taking him first.

He’s a defensive defenseman with some puck game, but probably no more than PP2 upside, and he may never develop the puck game to be more than a second pair defensive defenseman, if even that. Thats why he’ll be a top 10 pick with an outside chance to go towards the end of the top 5. If he was Pietrangelo, he’s contending for 1OA.

If his career goes as well as possible, he could be a left handed Pietrangelo. Most likely, that won’t happen. You can’t compare every player to the absolute best possible outcome. Guhle is the reasonable comparison of what he becomes.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Nice selective quoting. When you can’t use a full post and have to select certain parts, it speaks for itself.

Parekh could also end up Erik Karlsson. The absolute dream outcome is not the player you should be comparing a player to.

Right, I selected the quote where YOU said comparing him to Pietrangelo was lazy, and then paragraphs later said if everything goes right he’s left handed Pietrangelo.

I’m sorry, but that’s hilarious.

• Haha
Reactions: slumpy43

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
You missed the part where he said stuff in the paragraphs that made his comparison not lazy though... Maybe reread his post.
His post is a little silly when you read it. Calling him a low-ceiling offensive player in line with Kaden Guhle when Dickinson is putting up far better better numbers than Guhle ever did in Juniors.

Dickinson is not Cale Makar offensively to be sure, but neither is Pietrangelo. They are both smart, physical two-way defencemen that can run the powerplay if needed. I feel like people need to refresh themselves on Pietrangelo's career if they think Dickinson is not on the same trajectory stats-wise.

It's a lofty comparison, but there's a reason Dickinson is considered to be lock for a top ten pick.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
You missed the part where he said stuff in the paragraphs that made his comparison not lazy though... Maybe reread his post.

No I read the post. He rambled on about why he thought it was a lazy comp only to conclude the same thing. Lol

Typing a lot of words together in between those sentences doesn’t make it any less silly.

His post is a little silly when you read it. Calling him a low-ceiling offensive player in line with Kaden Guhle when Dickinson is putting up far better better numbers than Guhle ever did in Juniors.

Dickinson is not Cale Makar offensively to be sure, but neither is Pietrangelo. They are both smart, physical two-way defencemen that can run the powerplay if needed. I feel like people need to refresh themselves on Pietrangelo's career if they think Dickinson is not on the same trajectory stats-wise.

It's a lofty comparison, but there's a reason Dickinson is considered to be lock for a top ten pick.

Bingo. Dickinson isn’t going to put up Makar or Karlsson numbers or anything crazy. But he plays a much better offensive game than Guhle.

If anything, I think saying Guhle is his floor would be more accurate.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

You don’t seem to have realistic expectations.

You admit Pietrangelo is lofty. It’s not lofty. It’s flat out unrealistic. You should not be expecting that. There will maybe be 3 or 4 in this draft of that level. It’s possible, but of course it’s the absolute dream scenario.

You can pump him up all you want, but you should either recognize that your view is skewed or you need to put your money where your mouth is and say you are ready to say Dickinson should go 1OA.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

With respect to Dickinson’s production, from my viewings it’s far more tied to the fact that he plays a lot of minutes on a very good team than because he has exceptional or even great offensive tools. He’s very much a classic NHL-style defenseman in that he can capably move the puck, take shots from the point, and make consistently solid passes. But not once have I seen a truly exceptional offensive play from him, even though it’s major juniors. I haven’t even see a play that made me think he had plus offensive skills.

He lacks the dynamic offensive tools to be a true #1D. I can’t claim to have watched Pietrangelo as a prospect, but just because one guy was able to transform his game at the NHL level doesn’t mean that a similar prospect projects to do the same. That’s a dangerous game to fall into when scouting.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
No I read the post. He rambled on about why he thought it was a lazy comp only to conclude the same thing. Lol

Typing a lot of words together in between those sentences doesn’t make it any less silly.
You are acting dishonest.

You selectively took my words and created a collage of what you wanted it to say.

That’s disrespectful towards me, and it’s hard for anyone that reads that to respect that approach. How do they know you won’t do that to them? That’s a full-throated attack on someone.

Bingo. Dickinson isn’t going to put up Makar or Karlsson numbers or anything crazy. But he plays a much better offensive game than Guhle.

If anything, I think saying Guhle is his floor would be more accurate.
Are you kidding?

How about Juraj Slafkovsky? He went 1OA, not 6th OA or 8OA or wherever. Is his floor (meaning the absolute lowest possible outcome) as good as Guhle?

It’s like some just don’t realize that not every first round pick doesn’t end up an NHL All-Star.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I'm not always, but I'm with Pavel here. It's more a broad point about prospects though, not just Dickinson.

Dickinson, Levshunov, Silayev, and Buium are all "pushing for top 5" and comping against cup-winning all star defensemen, but if that happened, it would be the best draft class of all time.

This is why comps are kind of dumb, and if we're going to comp, we should comp a "best possible, highly unlikely" vs. a middle-range name.

In a highly rough comparison of points only, Guhle seemed to score just under 1 PPG in the WHL and Dickinson is 1 PPG in a weaker-this-year OHL. So they're pretty comparable in points generated. Definitely don't think you can reasonably say "Guhle is the floor."

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
You are acting dishonest.

You selectively took my words and created a collage of what you wanted it to say.

That’s disrespectful towards me, and it’s hard for anyone that reads that to respect that approach. How do they know you won’t do that to them? That’s a full-throated attack on someone.

I took two sentences, one at the beginning and one at the conclusion of the point you can’t seem to make.

So he’s definitely not Pietrangelo, that’s silly, but he could be if he reaches his ceiling? Lol

I’m not disrespecting you, you’re obviously entitled to your opinion. I just find it humorous that you essentially talked yourself into saying he COULD turn into Pietrangelo.

But whatever

Reactions: slumpy43

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I'm not always, but I'm with Pavel here. It's more a broad point about prospects though, not just Dickinson.

Dickinson, Levshunov, Silayev, and Buium are all "pushing for top 5" and comping against cup-winning all star defensemen, but if that happened, it would be the best draft class of all time.

This is why comps are kind of dumb, and if we're going to comp, we should comp a "best possible, highly unlikely" vs. a middle-range name.

In a highly rough comparison of points only, Guhle seemed to score just under 1 PPG in the WHL and Dickinson is 1 PPG in a weaker-this-year OHL. So they're pretty comparable in points generated. Definitely don't think you can reasonably say "Guhle is the floor."

To me a comp is what a player could become if he reaches his ceiling. There’s a stylistic element too.

The vast majority of these kids don’t reach their ceiling, so yes obviously there won’t be 4-5 all star D.

I don’t think anybody is suggesting that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad