LW Cole Eiserman - USNTDP U18 (2024 draft)

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Good start to the season for the kid. You can keep track of the team on this page, which has schedule and stats. So far, they are pretty quick to update. Stats are usually updated the next day. I took the plunge and got a subscription to HockeyTV this year, and I've watched most of their games. Physically, he is not overmatched, but you can tell some of the other older, bigger d-men are trying to take runs at him to slow him down. It hasn't worked as a couple times he's responded with quick goals. It's obviously a big step up from 14U, a level that he toyed with last year, but he is showing good smarts, great skill, excellent positioning offensively, and a great nose for the net.

Some things he needs to work on and which I've noticed he has responded to with some coaching:

1) Getting off the ice when he's tired. He's not so much better than his foes as he was last year, so he's got to keep an eye on his shift length.
2) Positioning in defensive zone. One time, he let a d-man walk in from the point down into high slot untouched (he was left winger, playing high and wide) and the d-man scored. Unless team was playing a strict zone, that was Eiserman's man. Noticed the next time out that he collapsed in a similar situation, so that was good.

With Celebrini out, he is the youngest player on this team and it will take a while for him to establish his cred with some of his older teammates. On more than a few occasions, I've seen him tapping his stick for a pass when he was obviously open and he didn't get the pass. Instead, the veteran deferred to another veteran and passed the puck to them instead of opting for a pass to Eiserman, who was in a prime scoring position on PP.

That said, he is getting lots of PP time and is playing the right side on his off wing. He is deadly at converting the cross-ice feeds when they come to him. He is proving that he is more than just a big kid with speed and a good shot who excelled against smaller, slower competition. His assist total is low, so far, but he has good vision and has made some good passes. That said, goal-scoring is his ticket. The kid is a sniper first and foremost.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I know that can bring back tensions but the pseudo expert of the site who told me to be a professional scout and that Aidan Park was better than Eiserman ...

The start of the 2021/22 season proves him wrong.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I know that can bring back tensions but the pseudo expert of the site who told me to be a professional scout and that Aidan Park was better than Eiserman ...

The start of the 2021/22 season proves him wrong.
Better what? NHL prospect? Player at this stage? I'm genuinely curious.

I've seen people who rank Park ahead of Eiserman and I guess at the age of 15 -- with so much development left -- you can make a case for it. I just don't see any point in arguing about it though. At this stage, with Eiserman playing prep and excelling, it would seem that he is ahead of Park, who is playing U16 (along with Berkly Catton). That said, Park is also off to a great start offensively and they are both almost three years away from their draft years. Catton, by the way, is leading that U16 team in scoring.

Another interesting note, Catton and Park are both January 2006 birthdates while Eiserman is a late August 2006. If he was born 18 days later, he'd be 2025 eligible.

Last edited:

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Better what? NHL prospect? Player at this stage? I'm genuinely curious.

I've seen people who rank Park ahead of Eiserman and I guess at the age of 15 -- with so much development left -- you can make a case for it. I just don't see any point in arguing about it though. At this stage, with Eiserman playing prep and excelling, it would seem that he is ahead of Park, who is playing U16 (along with Berkly Catton). That said, Park is also off to a great start offensively and they are both almost three years away from their draft years. Catton, by the way, is leading that U16 team in scoring.

Another interesting note, Catton and Park are both January 2006 birthdates while Eiserman is a late August 2006. If he was born 18 days later, he'd be 2025 eligible.

Better yesterday, better today, better tomorrow. Arguing over who's better between Eiserman and Park doesn't make any sense. The two players are not at all the same level.

Eiserman's profile is very, very heavy. Best American forward born in 2006. The interest of the site is to inform about the best young players to come and to update their evolution. There is no room for pseudo-expertise. Scoutman claimed to see things that no one else sees (not even those who see these players every day).

One plays in U18, the other in U16. They don't box in the same category. Eiserman's talent compares with that of a player like Aron Kiviharju to see who is the best U16 in the world.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Is tearing apart u18 league with Shattuck, I would assume NTDP is next for him and he could do big things there

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Any NCAA offers yet?
I'm sure he has his pick of top programs already. They give top kids offers at like 13 now (See Wahlstrom). Especially considering he grew up in one of the hottest areas for NCAA hockey and is now playing at a major prep program. Jake Wise the last crazily hyped kid out of New England committed to BU as a high school Freshman.

Reactions: MMC

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'm sure he has his pick of top programs already. They give top kids offers at like 13 now (See Wahlstrom). Especially considering he grew up in one of the hottest areas for NCAA hockey and is now playing at a major prep program. Jake Wise the last crazily hyped kid out of New England committed to BU as a high school Freshman.

NCAA recruiting rules changed in 2019. NCAA programs cannot even have recruiting conversations with Eiserman until January and won't be able to make scholarship offers until August.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017

Just an interesting little anecdote at 5:00 here. At this training facility where Boldy's at, they track athletic metrics of some current NHL'ers and prospects. Boldy tops the list in terms of explosiveness, and a just a couple spots lower is Eiserman.

That's a strong 15 year old.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
Should note: His CHL rights are now with the Moncton Wildcats.

He was drafted in the Q’s American draft so I doubt he ever reports. I don’t think anyone drafted in that draft has ever reported - it’s usually the high end guys. But Moncton will probably hold onto his rights for a while anyway.

Most Americans who have a chance of reporting are drafted in the regular draft. Gavin Cornforth, for example, was drafted by Moncton in the 6th round of the regular draft and a few other Americans went later in that draft too.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
He was drafted in the Q’s American draft so I doubt he ever reports. I don’t think anyone drafted in that draft has ever reported - it’s usually the high end guys. But Moncton will probably hold onto his rights for a while anyway.

Most Americans who have a chance of reporting are drafted in the regular draft. Gavin Cornforth, for example, was drafted by Moncton in the 6th round of the regular draft and a few other Americans went later in that draft too.
I know - I just like to provide updates on the players, I've always been interested in who owns who's rights in the CHL.

You are correct in that not one player has reported to their drafted QMJHL team since the inception of the American draft in 2018 - If a player was to report however it'd be to one of the Atlantic Canada teams since it's a majority English-speaking region. That's the biggest reason American players don't report and even when the QMJHL draft included both Canadian and American prospects - they've notoriously had a difficult time reporting.

It's a hail mary throw - but one worth taking because you never know what can happen after the NHL Draft

wein

Jul 2, 2013
I know - I just like to provide updates on the players, I've always been interested in who owns who's rights in the CHL.

You are correct in that not one player has reported to their drafted QMJHL team since the inception of the American draft in 2018 - If a player was to report however it'd be to one of the Atlantic Canada teams since it's a majority English-speaking region. That's the biggest reason American players don't report and even when the QMJHL draft included both Canadian and American prospects - they've notoriously had a difficult time reporting.

It's a hail mary throw - but one worth taking because you never know what can happen after the NHL Draft

Oh for sure. Didn’t mean to direct it at you. Just wanted to provide context so people wouldn’t assume he’s going to Moncton now. I was kind of hopeful that Moncton would have drafted a kid that may be interested in reporting, but taking a shot at a elite player never hurts. They may get another Yandle situation.

Yeah, it’s pretty much only Moncton, Saint John, Halifax and Quebec that can get US kids to report. But even those teams haven’t gotten many Americans to show up recently - although the pandemic didn’t hurt.

Hopefully there will be a few more Americans in the league this coming season.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

USNTDP has grown so much in reputation over the past 15 years due to guys like Matthews, Eichel, P. Kane, etc. That almost no top American will turn down a spot there. Like the biggest in recent years to turn it down was either Stranges (and he got drafted to one of the few teams in the CHL that can sell these kids on coming), and Musty. Even for ones who don't make the USNTDP, USHL has grown sizably in recognition. This kid is also from a college hockey hotbed. The Minnesota and New England kids rarely come to the CHL.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
USNTDP has grown so much in reputation over the past 15 years due to guys like Matthews, Eichel, P. Kane, etc. That almost no top American will turn down a spot there. Like the biggest in recent years to turn it down was either Stranges (and he got drafted to one of the few teams in the CHL that can sell these kids on coming), and Musty. Even for ones who don't make the USNTDP, USHL has grown sizably in recognition. This kid is also from a college hockey hotbed. The Minnesota and New England kids rarely come to the CHL.
Kids are becoming smarter - if you're not an elite player and can recognize that; it's much better to go down to the US, play in the USHL and get a scholarship to a big-name school. If something goes wrong in your hockey career; you have a diploma or you're on your way to a diploma to fall back on.
We've seen it more and more in recent years where Canadian kids are choosing to go the NCAA route than CHL - Most notably Owen Power but also guys like Kent Johnson, Adam Fantilli and Alex Newhook. 10 years ago there were only 30 Canadian kids that played in the USHL (More than 10 games) - this season there were 50! Crazy that we've seen it almost double in 10 years.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
Supposedly down to BU and the U.

Shock New England, Cole. Come to Minnesota.

That certainly would be a massive shock, just the fact that he is seriously considering the U is a shock.

I believe at one time he was considered the top ranked U.S. born forward but I think he has been eclipsed by Hagens
Kids are becoming smarter - if you're not an elite player and can recognize that; it's much better to go down to the US, play in the USHL and get a scholarship to a big-name school. If something goes wrong in your hockey career; you have a diploma or you're on your way to a diploma to fall back on.
We've seen it more and more in recent years where Canadian kids are choosing to go the NCAA route than CHL - Most notably Owen Power but also guys like Kent Johnson, Adam Fantilli and Alex Newhook. 10 years ago there were only 30 Canadian kids that played in the USHL (More than 10 games) - this season there were 50! Crazy that we've seen it almost double in 10 years.

The U.S. talent pool has receded in the past couple of years so I can see why USHL teams might have become more aggressive in pursing Canadian players as opposed to say a few years ago. The demographics for the future are not lookng to promising either but the same can be said for Canada as well. Could be a mad rush in the pursuit of European players

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
I'll attribute it to USHL-NCAA becoming a more appealing path to Canadians than US talent "receding"...

There will always be enough talent in the US for the USHL. Doesn't need to a be a bunch of first rounders from the US every year for the league to remain strong.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
I'll attribute it to USHL-NCAA becoming a more appealing path to Canadians than US talent "receding"...

There will always be enough talent in the US for the USHL. Doesn't need to a be a bunch of first rounders from the US every year for the league to remain strong.

No question that the path might be becoming more appealing (though it remains to be seen) but I would also argue that the talent level is certainly receding and if the USHL-NCAA wants to continue having top flight NHL prospects it has to widen it's recruiting net into Canada and Europe.

You are correct in that the USHL does not need to have several first rounders every year but the number of American born players drafted over the past ten years has first hit a plateau and now has begun to recede.

Ten years ago there were 56 American born players drafted, this year there was 48, slightly better than the the low of 45 last year but down significantly from the high of 64 in 14.

I know that USA Hockey loves to blast it's horn and give the impression that we are still in the 90s and that the game is growing exponentially in terms of participation but the reality is that there was about as many male youth players at the 14 and Under level in 2012 as there are today. Add in the declining birth rate, the ever increasing cost of hockey, the dismal minority participation rate in hockey (which make up the fastest growing segment of the youth population) and you can see some major problems in the future.

Now I know Canada is facing the exact same problems but that is why I think you will begin to see some pretty vicious recruiting battles for the top players no matter what country they are from

Anyhow, to keep this from devolving into something other than an Eiserman thread, I'll just close by saying that I (selfishly) hope he comes back home to the east....

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
No question that the path might be becoming more appealing (though it remains to be seen) but I would also argue that the talent level is certainly receding and if the USHL-NCAA wants to continue having top flight NHL prospects it has to widen it's recruiting net into Canada and Europe.

You are correct in that the USHL does not need to have several first rounders every year but the number of American born players drafted over the past ten years has first hit a plateau and now has begun to recede.

Ten years ago there were 56 American born players drafted, this year there was 48, slightly better than the the low of 45 last year but down significantly from the high of 64 in 14.

I know that USA Hockey loves to blast it's horn and give the impression that we are still in the 90s and that the game is growing exponentially in terms of participation but the reality is that there was about as many male youth players at the 14 and Under level in 2012 as there are today. Add in the declining birth rate, the ever increasing cost of hockey, the dismal minority participation rate in hockey (which make up the fastest growing segment of the youth population) and you can see some major problems in the future.

Now I know Canada is facing the exact same problems but that is why I think you will begin to see some pretty vicious recruiting battles for the top players no matter what country they are from

Anyhow, to keep this from devolving into something other than an Eiserman thread, I'll just close by saying that I (selfishly) hope he comes back home to the east....
I would question his sanity if he wanted to play in the Q. No offence meant to the Q. Only reason I could see him doing that is to become fluent in French.

Yes there is a definite drop off in hockey interest in Canada for all of the reasons that you suggest. I also think the recruiting battles will heat up for players and for dual citizens as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad