News Article: "...Miller may have eyes set on Ducks."

Jan 25, 2013
Missouri
With Jake Allen dominating in the AHL(.927 save percentage) and being probably just one season as a backup away from being NHL ready to start, I don't think it is wise to give Miller a 4+ year deal at 6.5+ mil per year.

Why relegate our best prospect to backup duty for 4+ years?

Learn from Vancouver's mistake with Luongo and Schneider.

You bring up a good point with learning from Vancouver. Allen played really well when he was brought up last year in his limited time, combined with his stellar season in the AHL, I think he is primed to start soon. The Blues don't want to stunt his growth by not giving him ice time. I personally would like to see the money spent elsewhere in the offseason *cough* scorer *cough*

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
You bring up a good point with learning from Vancouver. Allen played really well when he was brought up last year in his limited time, combined with his stellar season in the AHL, I think he is primed to start soon. The Blues don't want to stunt his growth by not giving him ice time. I personally would like to see the money spent elsewhere in the offseason *cough* scorer *cough*
Yes! Exactly THIS strategy!

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think a lot agree with this, like you I prefer Miller or Hiller, but if they did end up with Hiller the trade is still pretty much the same, The Blues upgraded their goaltending.

In my opinion Hiller is overrated at this point. He isn't as good as he was few years ago. What really tells a lot is, he is their clear #1 goalie still but only played 50 games this year. And his numbers aren't very good considering Anaheim was a top team pretty much for the whole season.

He's on the decline IMO and while Halak is far from my favorite goalies, they're pretty much even at this point. Except Halak is 3 years younger.

So all in all if the Blues don't go far and Miller walks away for nothing, it's most likely not anything else than a losing situation.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
So all in all if the Blues don't go far and Miller walks away for nothing, it's most likely not anything else than a losing situation.

I really hope Miller walks away. Unless he signs a 2 year deal, which he won't.

Signing Miller to the contract that he could get in free agency would be a horrible move for this team.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I'm glad you brought this up. I've been concerned that they've been playing Miller too much.

Ask Lindy Ruff about this. His performance seems surprising. I can tell you the St. Louis defence on its absolute worst night is better than what Buffalo iced on its best this year.

He's either injured and not saying or playing too much. This year Sabres had a specific plan to limit his playing and bump his value.

I think some quick early series will be key to Blues going far (true for everybody) but impact in Miller would be huge in a long run.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
More music therapy...Armstrong singing to the conditional 2014 1st rd. pick.

Baby come back!..You can blame it all on me..I was wrong....and I just can't live without you!

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I really hope Miller walks away. Unless he signs a 2 year deal, which he won't.

Signing Miller to the contract that he could get in free agency would be a horrible move for this team.

Yes, and for only $4.5 million per year, or less. He won't do that, so I'd let him walk. But first, I want to see how he plays in the playoff run. IF he plays only like he did in the Flyers game and today's game, I'd make an effort to re-sign him for 2-3 years (assuming Allen is worked into more and more games, and takes over by the middle of the 3rd year.

Jan 25, 2013
Missouri
In this situation, I feel like Miller will also be considering how Allen is in the works. I don't know enough about him personally, but he could go one of two ways:

1. He would like to mentor the younger guy and be accepting that as he got older he would lose some ice time to the kid.

2. He is concerned that the Blues view Allen as the future and does not want to ride the pine in his last few years in the league.

Either way, it will factor into Miller's decision.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I wonder if Panger remembers calling this deal "Sleuth-like" by Army. I sure do, and don't know if I'll ever forget it. Getting past Round one would be a start.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Nope, but like I said before, it's not a significant upgrade.

Your coach played Miller in 19 of 23 down the stretch. He wore him out. He can't play at that pace and be that effective. Sabres had cut his workload this year and his stats improved. Look at his history. He started out strong in St. Louis. Obviously, that makes him worth less than a workhorse, but it is what is is.

I'm surprised this isn't a major issue for fans.

He is a perfect starter with Allen getting lots of work but yes who want to pay $6 m plus for 55 games.

Jan 25, 2013
Missouri
Your coach played Miller in 19 of 23 down the stretch. He wore him out. He can't play at that pace and be that effective. Sabres had cut his workload this year and his stats improved. Look at his history. He started out strong in St. Louis. Obviously, that makes him worth less than a workhorse, but it is what is is.

I'm surprised this isn't a major issue for fans.

He is a perfect starter with Allen getting lots of work but yes who want to pay $6 m plus for 55 games.

I guess Blues fans were used to more of a rotation with Halak and Elliot and were guessing that Miller would provide more of a steady Goalie A and Goalie B situation instead of Goalie 1A and Goalie 1B.

At least that's is what I was thinking, I don't want to generalize for the whole board.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I guess Blues fans were used to more of a rotation with Halak and Elliot and were guessing that Miller would provide more of a steady Goalie A and Goalie B situation instead of Goalie 1A and Goalie 1B.

At least that's is what I was thinking, I don't want to generalize for the whole board.

That's not Ryan's history. He even conceded the year he played 69 it was way too much. I'm still hoping Blues get to finals for obvious reasons. The pick. Blues need a really quick first round to rest Miller -- will be tough against Chicago.

Ryan can get hot, I assure you. He could carry a team for a round not for four rounds.

Last edited:

zero39

Dec 15, 2005
As a Sabres fan, I can tell you that playing 19 out of 23 games down the stretch is likely the issue with Miller. He has worn down in past years when given too heavy a workload. In addition, while playing 59 games might not seem excessive, understand that he was getting continually bombarded during his time in Buffalo. He needed a break at some point, but didn't get it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Hitchcock said he discussed the schedule with the goalies and that's why Miller didn't play against Buffalo. So if it is the issue, then part of it's on Miller for not saying something and part of it is on Hitch for not realizing it.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Hitchcock said he discussed the schedule with the goalies and that's why Miller didn't play against Buffalo. So if it is the issue, then part of it's on Miller for not saying something and part of it is on Hitch for not realizing it.

Miller will say nothing. He's a pro. Lindy Ruff rode Miller into the ground. And Miller came back for more and more. He's a pretty lean dude. Get a pic of him without equipment and you'll see there's not much bulk there.

I still think it was a good deal for a Blues to make but Hitchcock should wear some of this. Plus, you didn't have complete garbage behind. Elliott has been ok. Sabres had Lalime and other slop as backups over the years.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
If Miller can't handle the workload we shouldn't have got him. Part of the reason Miller was considered an upgrade was to be a workhorse goalie for us.

I think Miller is overrated personally. His save percentage was good due to facing a high amount of shots.

Career wise Miller is a .911 goalie expecting more than that was foolish.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
If Miller can't handle the workload we shouldn't have got him. Part of the reason Miller was considered an upgrade was to be a workhorse goalie for us.

I think Miller is overrated personally. His save percentage was good due to facing a high amount of shots.

Career wise Miller is a .911 goalie expecting more than that was foolish.

Workhorse goalie? He topped 70 once and it was a disaster. He had the 69-game year with Vezina and Olympics, probably his best.

He tops out at 65, IMO. Even that is too high. The Blues/Hitchcock just found this out the hard way.

...Even at just 55 I'll still take Miller over 65 of Halak anyday. He's a way better goalie. He's got to be managed though.

I hope Ryan gets his cup. He's also a real professional and I respect that.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Nope, but like I said before, it's not a significant upgrade.
Halak has better career numbers, better numbers as a Blue, and better Playoff numbers.

Blue
Miller: .905 SV%, 2.44 GAA, 1 SO
Halak: .916 SV%, 2.23 GAA, 20 S0

Playoff
Miller: .917 SV%, 2.46 GAA, 3 SO
Halak: .923 SV%, 2.42 GAA, 0 SO

Career
Miller: .915 SV%, 2.59 GAA, 29 SO,
Halak: .918 SV%, 2.38 GAA, 30 SO

Considering Halak is cheaper and younger, I'd take him 10 times out of 10.

Jan 25, 2013
Missouri
I hope Sabres fans don't think we're being rude, we love that yall are rooting for us. I think it's admirable to root for a player that no longer plays for your franchise. We just gave up quite the bounty and haven't seen the player that we traded for. We've seen a solid enough sample size and we got Miller to make the saves Halak didn't/couldn't make and he just hasn't no matter what kind of excuse there is provided for Miller. Part of being a pro is being able to self evaluate and taking responsibility, if you're tired and can't perform your best then say something! It's a new situation for everyone involved and Hitch isn't a mind reader. To be fair, I can understand coming into a new team and wanting to "prove yourself", but still. 100% hope Miller serves me an entire helping of Castle Black crow in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Ask Lindy Ruff about this. His performance seems surprising. I can tell you the St. Louis defence on its absolute worst night is better than what Buffalo iced on its best this year.

He's either injured and not saying or playing too much. This year Sabres had a specific plan to limit his playing and bump his value.

I think some quick early series will be key to Blues going far (true for everybody) but impact in Miller would be huge in a long run.

It really comes down to the fact that Miller is much, much better when facing a lot of shots. P9s argued this to death and had some pretty darn compelling stats to back him up.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I really want to go back to all those Buffalo fans and tell them I told you so, but I'm just too darn nice [mod].

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
It's just so damn frustrating to have given up so much and seen Miller basically do no better than Halak. Which of course, is exactly why I only wanted Miller if he was cheap. I just never saw him as much of an upgrade.

Ron C.

Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
I hope Sabres fans don't think we're being rude, we love that yall are rooting for us. I think it's admirable to root for a player that no longer plays for your franchise. We just gave up quite the bounty and haven't seen the player that we traded for. We've seen a solid enough sample size and we got Miller to make the saves Halak didn't/couldn't make and he just hasn't no matter what kind of excuse there is provided for Miller. Part of being a pro is being able to self evaluate and taking responsibility, if you're tired and can't perform your best then say something! It's a new situation for everyone involved and Hitch isn't a mind reader. To be fair, I can understand coming into a new team and wanting to "prove yourself", but still. 100% hope Miller serves me an entire helping of Castle Black crow in the playoffs.

Players want to play. Miller has been used to playing 65 games/year, but that is with a Sabres team that didn't make or go far in the playoffs. I haven't been watching closely, but I hope Elliott played one game out of three down the stretch. I actually am rooting for the Blues. Not because of the 1st round pick in 2014 ( I don't think the Blues will reach the WCF with the injuries they have and henceforth likely won't re-sign Miller before the draft), but because the Blues, like us, haven't won before. Go Sabres and Go Blues (2014).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad