Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I agree in totality that this group does not work, but I’m less convinced of them being outright the wrong horses on an individual basis. I think there are a ton of factors and I believe AM in particular has it in him even if he most certainly deserves his fair share of the blame for what has gone down here during his Leaf tenure.
Collectively they can’t win.
And that’s the problem.
AM had not shown that he is an alpha that could carry the team.
Leafs need to get a true leader and Captain to the team.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Scion

May 25, 2012
What would be required to mutually terminate the contract? He can’t be owed much money at this point.
They won't terminate the contract for a myriad of reasons, what I mean is that Marner will agree to provide a list of teams he will accept a trade to and the Leafs will trade him.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
They won't terminate the contract for a myriad of reasons, what I mean is that Marner will agree to provide a list of teams he will accept a trade to and the Leafs will trade him.

Really just a thought experiment. I am not suggesting it will happen or advocating for it

Also I thought we were discussing 91

Mar 26, 2010
As much as most of us would like to see him gone, it will not happen. He most likely resigns in Toronto. His dad wants $14M a season.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
As much as most of us would like to see him gone, it will not happen. He most likely resigns in Toronto. His dad wants $14M a season.
MM probably won’t be traded bc he won’t waive but unless he lights up in the playoffs, I just don’t see him returning.
Even he gets 100 assists next season as the narrative is set. He needs to perform in playoffs or he is gone.

Reactions: Sypher04

Whacky5

Jun 9, 2019
IDGAF what daddy Marner wants. Get your self entitled asses out of here. If they sign him, I'm done with this team until he's gone.

I've been a very long time fan, since 1978, and if this happens, I will turn away from the team.

This guy only plays for the name on the back, not the front.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I'd ask him to waive or retire. It is a shame his skating, hands and hockey IQ have jumped the shark. If there are better options, sure move on.
You offer him to go on LTIR for the year with a mystery injury. Robidas island 2024

Reactions: ToneDog

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
We are married to AM and WN. Do you want to make the same mistake with Mitch by paying him the ridiculous money he is rumored to have asked for? Tavares can play on the 3rd line is he is willing to take peanuts.
Tbh, if we ride out JT and Marner until the end of their contracts (likely), I don't want any of them back. This team needs a culture change, and these players were apart of this is crappy team for a near decade.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
No chance

Again. Purely a thought experiment. I was in no way saying I expect it or think it should happen

In any case, I just looked and JT makes much more in salary this coming season than I expected tbh so there’d be no termination benefit even really

Mar 26, 2010
MM probably won’t be traded bc he won’t waive but unless he lights up in the playoffs, I just don’t see him returning.
Even he gets 100 assists next season as the narrative is set. He needs to perform in playoffs or he is gone.
Hopefully you are right, I would like to see the team move on from him.
I think we'll know quickly whether the Leafs are ready for change or not if Shanahan is fired or not. If Shanahan is back then the joke still hasn't reached the punchline.
Shanahan needs to be the first one fired on Tuesday. It is already a given that Keefe is as good as gone.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Anything he does in the rest of these playoffs should be ignored in the off season.

Sign and trade or let him walk for nothing. I know it’s not cost/benefit positive on paper but it is in the room.

Fire shanny, fire Keefe and get rid of him.

That should be the Fanaplan

Mar 26, 2010
IDGAF what daddy Marner wants. Get your self entitled asses out of here. If they sign him, I'm done with this team until he's gone.

I've been a very long time fan, since 1978, and if this happens, I will turn away from the team.

I agree 100% with you. I can not stand Marner.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Again. Thought experiment. I’m not saying I expect it or think it should happen

In any case, I just looked and JT makes much more in salary this coming season than I expected tbh
I meant it more as a thought experiment, that there's be no chance.

Tavares salary is 910k, big bonus though which I figure is to be paid July 1

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I meant it more as a thought experiment, that there's be no chance.

Tavares salary is 910k, big bonus though which I figure is to be paid July 1

Oh ok, it’s hard to tell sometimes lol. Yeah he’s got more money left on the deal than I thought he would at this point.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Wanna bet?

Not sure from Mitch’s side. He’s always wanted to be a Leaf, born and lives in the area and loves to be a Leaf.
It's so negative right now that I'm not sure he will still feel that way, but if I'm wrong then you let the contract expire and recoup 22M between him and JT in the summer of 2025.

Scion

May 25, 2012

There is no way that they return this core. I know this has been said before but this time it is different because there is a new CEO, and growing anger from the fan base and MLSE board. You really think the Leafs will ignore all of that and hand Marner a 13M+ extension?

Hopefully you are right, I would like to see the team move on from him.

Shanahan needs to be the first one fired on Tuesday. It is already a given that Keefe is as good as gone.
Firing Shanny may actually delay a Marner trade because the new guy will want to assess the situation himself before giving the green light on a move of that magnitude.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

The name on the back could be Mickey Mouse for all he cares as long as the name on the cheque is right. You wouldn’t let every playoff opponent bully you with 0 pushback if you cared about the name on the back.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
i would likley think he has decided

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I agree in totality that this group does not work, but I’m less convinced of them being outright the wrong horses on an individual basis. I think there are a ton of factors and I believe AM in particular has it in him even if he most certainly deserves his fair share of the blame for what has gone down here during his Leaf tenure.

Agree with this.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
he either comes in a half the cap hit on his next contract or he's gone. and to be honest, I'd just rather we had his 11M cap hit.
Well then you may just get it and someone will offer him 9 for sure.

Why would he do that. More likely just play out the year and see what he could get as a free agent

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Wow that talk on the bench really got blown out of proportion? Does anyone really know what Willie was saying? And that it was directed towards Mitch and not Auston? Marner has been bad this series but at least he he came out and scored a goal in the third. Not the greatest build up towards game 5 this..

It was towards Marner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad