Official 2024 NHL Draft Thread

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
If not for Celebrini or Eiserman we better get our top-pairing D out of the 2024 draft.

Levshunov
Dickinson
Hutson
Mews
Jiricek
Kiviharju

Some real talent out there.

If the franchise truly wants a rebuild they should make Konecny and Hart available to add more first rounders.

St. Louis was even ready to dangle a first for Laughton.

Fly0rDie

Jun 11, 2016
cap is poisoning you all with the Demidov hype, it's Celebrini or bust baby!
I’m skeptical they’ll completely bottom out with TK and Hart still around, not to mention a potentially healthy Couturier rejoining the team. Probably the usual 5-7 range which will just put them out of range for the elite level prospects they desperately need. I doubt they’re going to luck into a Michkov situation 2 years in a row.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I’m skeptical they’ll completely bottom out with TK and Hart still around, not to mention a potentially healthy Couturier rejoining the team. Probably the usual 5-7 range which will just put them out of range for the elite level prospects they desperately need. I doubt they’re going to luck into a Michkov situation 2 years in a row.
the one thing that can help the Flyers is that all the teams that finished below them in the standings seem to be getting better. at least a little bit. hopefully enough to pass this dumpster fire of a team.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
the one thing that can help the Flyers is that all the teams that finished below them in the standings seem to be getting better. at least a little bit. hopefully enough to pass this dumpster fire of a team.

San Jose will be even worse next season..ESPECIALLY if they trade Karlsson. They will have a near historically bad season.

Anaheim hasn't made any progress unless Carlsson comes out swinging like the Rookie of the Year.

Montreal will suck again.

Arizona will suck again.

Chicago will be a bit better with Bedard, Hall, Bailey, etc.

I think Columbus will be better too. They were crushed with injuries last season and are adding Fantilli and a few others to the mix.

Northern Force

Jun 21, 2019
Makes the Bonk pick hurt a little bit more looking at the D available in this draft, looking to be loaded with them in first 15 picks or so. Really hoping those Panthers injuries linger into next season and they struggle.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
San Jose will be even worse next season..ESPECIALLY if they trade Karlsson. They will have a near historically bad season.

Anaheim hasn't made any progress unless Carlsson comes out swinging like the Rookie of the Year.

Arizona will suck again.

I think Columbus will be better too. They were crushed with injuries last season and are adding Fantilli and a few others to the mix.
the Ducks did add a top 6 wing (Killorn) and top 4 D (Gudas). Coyotes added a decent 2nd line scorer in Zucker, plus Kerfoot. are these guys great? no, but they're better than the AHL level talent they had in those spots last year. they should be a little better. both teams are trying to improve.

Habs could be a bit better too with full seasons (with improvement) from Caufield, Dach, and Slafkovsky.

SJ i agree. they could be the one team that could be much worse than they were last season. the others have at least made some signings and have enough young talent that should help them out a little.

these teams will still suck. just hopefully less than we will.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Getting rid of Eakins is a serious unshackling. He was catastrophically bad; the same roster as last year would do better. Zegras, Terry, Carlsson, McTavish, Henrique, Killorn, Strome up front isn't bad on talent or depth. Fowler, Gudas, Zellweger, Drysdale on defense (along with the PDO God, Robert Hagg). Maybe Pastujov or Mintyukov get some games late. I really don't anticipate the Ducks being historically bad again.

I'm surprised people aren't discussing the obvious: Chicago finding a way to win a top 2 pick to pair with Bedard. That'll show the 9th place Flyers! :laugh:

Fly0rDie

Jun 11, 2016
Getting rid of Eakins is a serious unshackling. He was catastrophically bad; the same roster as last year would do better. Zegras, Terry, Carlsson, McTavish, Henrique, Killorn, Strome up front isn't bad on talent or depth. Fowler, Gudas, Zellweger, Drysdale on defense (along with the PDO God, Robert Hagg). Maybe Pastujov or Mintyukov get some games late. I really don't anticipate the Ducks being historically bad again.

I'm surprised people aren't discussing the obvious: Chicago finding a way to win a top 2 pick to pair with Bedard. That'll show the 9th place Flyers! :laugh:
While I’d much prefer Celebrini or Eiserman, it wouldn’t be the worst thing if the Flyers were able to grab their potential #1D. It seems like it’ll be the perfect year to do it.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
While I’d much prefer Celebrini or Eiserman, it wouldn’t be the worst thing if the Flyers were able to grab their potential #1D. It seems like it’ll be the perfect year to do it.

It could be, but these things have a way of changing, and I definitely don't want to be the team that takes fit picks, especially when they have only one projectable star forward. It also depends how far they fall. As good as a defense draft it looks like one year out, history tells us the top 10 won't be 5 deep with future #1s.

It also requires the Flyers to choose the right player, and defensemen are harder than forwards to project, so you're asking a lot from a team that looks mostly lost in drafting/acquiring defenders to choose the right one. They also don't care too much about offense from the backend, or they think they're set in that capacity long-term, so I can't operate under the assumption they do find a #1.

Fly0rDie

Jun 11, 2016
It could be, but these things have a way of changing, and I definitely don't want to be the team that takes fit picks, especially when they have only one projectable star forward. It also depends how far they fall. As good as a defense draft it looks like one year out, history tells us the top 10 won't be 5 deep with future #1s.

It also requires the Flyers to choose the right player, and defensemen are harder than forwards to project, so you're asking a lot from a team that looks mostly lost in drafting/acquiring defenders to choose the right one. They also don't care too much about offense from the backend, or they think they're set in that capacity long-term, so I can't operate under the assumption they do find a #1.
I’m certainly not assuming they’d pick the right one… Just that if they just miss out on Eiserman and Celebrini, it seems like there should be some high upside, potential #1D available in the few picks or so afterwards. Outside of a #1C, that’s probably their biggest need. As you said though, they still need more star level forwards and the defenseman in this draft could always take a step back and/or not progress as expected.

Reactions: Magua

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Arizona will suck again.

SJ will also be without Meier for the whole season. They have to be candidates for last overall.

Fly0rDie

Jun 11, 2016
SJ will also be without Meier for the whole season. They have to be candidates for last overall.
San Jose I think is the clear front runner for first overall at this point… I expect the Flyers to fall somewhere in the 5-7 range again, but I don’t know if I can say with full confidence that there is another team worse than the Flyers. A lot will likely depend on how well Couturier looks in his return to the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad